It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Australian Government Bunker Leaked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hi All,

I have come across a story, it's abit old now but still worth posting ( i think anyways )
There has been a new 36 Million dollar bunker built in the middle of a Canberra industrial estate for the government - article below about the leaked information:

www.canberratimes.com.au...

I also have a Google Earth screenshot of the building:

I got the address from an article in The Age Newspaper, but that was about 2 months ago and googling again this time i could only find the Canberra times article which is above.
Just another good example of how easily government bunkers etc can be hidden in plain site.

Thanks,

Havick

EDit: I just realised the address is on the photo in the article

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Havick007]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
G'day Havick007,

Good find mate, I will be watching this to see how the people will react over the money spent on this.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

Yeah it's alot of money, i mean looking at the surface it just looks like a factory so there must be alot underneath unless they have gold plated walls lol.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Also here's an interesting article for anyone that missed it in the link at the top:

A recent job advertisement on the Attorney-General's Department website for a ''top secret'' classified position in the Secure Services Branch reveals that the Symonston facility is responsible for providing ''communications support for the key functions of executive government following an activation of Plan Mercator'', the code name for the Federal Government's top-secret ''Continuity of Government Plan'' that would be activated in the event of a large-scale terrorist attack in Canberra.

Are they preparing for something?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

They know something is coming and won't share the info with the people that paid for these bunkers..the B@$t@&d$

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Ha yeah they will all be cosy and safe and us left out here

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

36 mil is not alot of money to fit out an emergency NOC. Likely half of that amount is just to get dedicated/redundant fibre runs to the facility and the hardened IT infrastructure in place.

I spend about half a million a year, and my infrastructure would be a joke compared to whats in there.

If the government wants to invest in IT, i wont complain. Someone has to sell it, someone has to maintain it and someone in 3 years will get to do it all again.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I find it interesting that the google earth imagery for that area has been "dumbed down" over the past few updates. The "Historical Imagery" slider is awesome for comparison purposes such as finding vents lol

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Are they preparing for something?

They sure are, and it is all part of their new defence strategy involving the HQJOC. It's all about revamping information and communication in the event of catastrophic events.

Preparing for a nuclear attack doesn't mean it's likely to occur though.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
One thing that people need to remember is this,
The people that will be seeking shelter in the underground bases will be all rich and powerful, there will be no need for the general populous.
We are actually their slaves/workers that have allowed them to build such things, guaranteeing THEIR safety.
We will not be given a second thought.

Not noticed the rich list?
Sports personalities that will not be attending the world cup?
Sports personalities that would normally do very well?(woods)

[edit on 5-5-2010 by jazz10]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

I took special notice of the mention to Project Mercator, that is what this bunker is for. For the Aus government the project is in place in the case of a major '' terrorist attack in Canberra'' or any any other catastrophic event.

It was all leaked.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kernoonos
G'day Havick007,

Good find mate, I will be watching this to see how the people will react over the money spent on this.

Thats a good deal for a bunker, it would be nice to know other specs on this facility. how many government officials can it support. what types of disasters is it made to protect them against? Most of australia is a barren wasteland so its good their trying to save the few who understand the world and how it works. Each culture to ensure genetic drift should protect their best and brightest as we do here in the states.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Like violater said.. they know something is coming and no, they won't tell anyone.
That's the part I hate the most!!
+
They spend ALOT of money on their bunkers in the back of the society.. which is really bad...

oh well!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I don't think there is anything to worry about on this one.
Think about this, the USA and USSR both built their own bunkers all over their respective territory during the cold war.
They did this as a precaution. If shtf, they would be prepared and able to ensure the continuity of government.
Think about this also. The Haiti earthquake this year devastated the country to the point the government was unable to function and had no control for a period of time.

I'm also positive that during WW2 and perhaps even before, Australian governments built bunkers.

It's like saying, why would a soldier put body armour on before going on a mission? Is he preparing for something, does he know something?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12

It's like saying, why would a soldier put body armour on before going on a mission? Is he preparing for something, does he know something?

I think a better analogy would be "Why should we issue soldiers with weapons during peacetime?" and the simple answer is, to be familiar with its capabilities and make sure it works for the time when its necessity becomes apparent.

Prior knowledge of an event isn't required to be prepared for its occurrence. Just some forethought.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Hi i didn't want to start another thread but this seems like the place to be. Last
year in the southern part of north Queensland on the coral coast i befriended a couple young enough and we decided to go sailing ,well the bloke and i got talking and it turns out he served in the armed forces,but not just that but the special forces and as we were talking i asked questions about his previous job, well he claimed to be a sniper in the commandos and i was interested in two of the story's he told the first was about operating as a black ops sniper in north Korea and as far as i can remember calling in a air strike against a nuclear facility just wondering if any aussies had any info on operations in north korea.And the next i found amazing he said australia those possess nuclear weapons and that he did security on two silos hidden in plain sight in melbourne and sydney just wondering if anyone has any info on these claims he seemed very knowledgeable about explosives and weaponry and also showed me hes knife collection lol! apploiges for spelling and punctuation just wondering if i was been lead along! edit: my name gives away where in queensland lol!

[edit on 20-6-2010 by airlie beach bum]

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Now if 'I' was off on a serious 'bunker hunt' in Australia (and I have done a bit in my time) I would put my 'thinking cap on'.

Let's think.

Its the Cold War, every other government in the world is building large continuity of government complexes, Australia is not 'isolated' we have the United Kingdom testing nuclear weapons and rocket designs at Woomera.

Now where oh where in Australia at that time was large tunneling occurring? accessable from Canberra with a bit of early warning. (Considering how dirty nukes were then, if Canberra received a few warheads it would be 'glowing' and command & control would be difficult from that destroyed and irradiated site)

What are the requirements for a 'medium/long term command & control' nuclear bunker complex? Power, water stores... ... ...

Anyone else's thinking caps being 'activated' yet?

And so there 'we' are, our post World War Population (mostly loyal) all touched by World War Two in one way or another...familiar with our 'own' country... ... ...

And in the 50's 'we' have our migration wave in from Europe from the devastation. Poles, Yugoslavs, Italians, Greeks, and all and sundry in between. Brought in as 'labour' most unable to speak English as a first language, held in 'immigration camps' awaiting deployment under immigration schemes, farming etc etc etc... all totally new to the country,...

Wow, wait a minute...did someone just mention Snowy Mountains Hydro Scheme? (woops, that must have been me! lol) huge tunnels to reverse rivers, underground hydro-electric power stations, the ability to re-pump water around and up and down through the system in 'off peak' to create a hydro storage battery of potential energy... and an immigrant labour force whose language is not English, confined to 'labour camps', all in new and strange territory... ... ...directed by government engineers....

Well if it was me, and I heard the sirens wailing, I'd be hop skip & a jump into the fastest vehicle I could find and heading for the entry portals into the Snowy Mountains Scheme... though I'd imagine I would not be alone as I'd guess a few of those orginal blueprints for design do not show what modern Snowy Mountains Scheme Maps show... ...

But then in my 'travels' I have taken the time to have a yarn or two with now 'old timers' who worked on the Snowy Mountains Scheme.

Oh and dont forget, orginally the A.C T was (and i think still has the option) to annex a swathe of New South Wales to enable it to link to Jervis Bay (which is technically part of the ACT for for adminstrative purposes) as Jervis Bay was 'meant' to be the ACT's port, not difficult to include the Snowy Mountains Scheme in the annexation.

And of course I not suggesting an Alpine Redoubt (!lol) within fast helicopter ride from Canberra. But you would be in the 'High Range', good signals lines of sight to main East Coast cities, easily managed and policable access roads and as said, already an 'acknowledged' labyrinthe of huge underground tunnels, power stations, service tunnels, that no single person could fully map out alone.

I think I would prefer the Snowy Rivers Hydro Scheme to any 'cubby holes' beneath government buildings in Canberra.

Just please keep out the riff-raff.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Secret bunker built next to retail & hardware stores? wtf

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
and they complain about Wikileaks exposing possible external interests in Australia, yet they disclose the address of this building ??? hmmm something fishy...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lavenlaar

I didnt expect to see this thread revived lol. Yeah i think the location was reported by accident from documents on the Attorney Generals website.

Here is apart of the original article:

In an embarrassing disclosure concerning a highly sensitive facility, however, information scattered across the websites of the Attorney-General's Department and the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet reveals the Symonston installation supports critical government communication systems that would operate in the event of a catastrophic terrorist attack in Canberra.

But yeah it is a strange place to put it, right in the middle of an industrial estate... or maybe very smart

top topics

<<   2 >>

join