It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amatuer Astronomer Films ISS from his Garage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hi all you ATS'ers.

Here is a first that I know of, I'm not sure if this is the right place but feel free to move it if it needs to be.

I would think that if I had to do this it would take a lot of equipment and know how to do something like this.

Well you would need the basics I would think like a telescope a good one, a system to track, and a camera system that can see that can focus on something that far away.

As for the amount of money that is involved well that is debatable as to how much money that you are willing to spend.

Here is s little back ground.

From his garage observatory in Northwich, England, Mike Tyrrell made videos in March, 2009 of three passes of the Space Station with its new solar panels.
Space Station

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Nice one jsettica

The clarity of the image he has been able to achieve is fantastic...You can see quite a bit of detail in the ISS...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I thought it a good one as well hope to see more thing like this as we go on.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is not a first. Anyone can film the ISS, and it does not require expensive cameras/scopes. It all depends what you want to do. Any camera can focus on the ISS. It's just a matter of focussing at infinity.

Tracking can be achieved by manual panning if you are using a camera system with a small feild of view, or if you have a wide angle lens, you can just point it at the correct part of the sky where you know the ISS will pass, and let it travel across the frame.

You can find out when and where the ISS will be visible by going here and entering your location.

Edit to add: Of course, if you want all that detail in the video, you will probably need a scope (although a very expensive one is not necassary for something as bright as the ISS) and a tracking mount.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is not as easy as you make it out to be.

Manual tracking is not imposable but it not easy as all, and trying to track something as 1250 KM to it's lowest point of 600 KM by hand or moving it by hand is one in a million tries.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

As I said, it depends what you want to do... if you want a video like the one he made, then you need to have a tracking mount. That does not mean you can't get footage of the ISS without one.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ya you could be right about that but it's still not that easy to do.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
That, my friends, is Sarah Palin.

Enough Said.

Edit: Whoops, i thought i was commenting on the "what on gods earth is this" thread.

Sorry

Ok, i admit i loled at the fact that sarah palin is the ISS

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Senz20]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
WOW. Great Find.

This guy is doing exactly what I want to do. I go to work to make enough money-retire and become a Star Gazer/Video guy.....

Amazing shot. I think ATS should host monthly contest-give out hats/bumperstickers for the best stuff like this and other finds.

S&F

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
WOW. Great Find.

This guy is doing exactly what I want to do. I go to work to make enough money-retire and become a Star Gazer/Video guy.....

Amazing shot. I think ATS should host monthly contest-give out hats/bumperstickers for the best stuff like this and other finds.

S&F

I'm trying to purchase a nice telescope now and it's such a daunting task that every time I get enough guts I back out. I'm scared to death of buying something that isn't going to do what I want it to.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Great to see some one likes it!

new topics

top topics

join