It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media-Driven Moral Panic: An Old Nazi Trick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Why am I not surprised to find out that the media assaults on the Church are inspired by old Nazi Germany propaganda tactics?

How the Nazis engineered a paedophile priests scare

“There are cases of sexual abuse that come to light every day against a large number of members of the Catholic clergy. Unfortunately it’s not a matter of individual cases, but a collective moral crisis that perhaps the cultural history of humanity has never before known with such a frightening and disconcerting dimension. Numerous priests and religious have confessed. There’s no doubt that the thousands of cases which have come to the attention of the justice system represent only a small fraction of the true total, given that many molesters have been covered and hidden by the hierarchy.”

An editorial from a great secular newspaper in 2010? No: It’s a speech of May 28, 1937, by Joseph Goebbels (1897-1945), Minister of Propaganda for the Third Reich. This speech, which had a large international echo, was the apex of a campaign launched by the Nazi regime to discredit the Catholic Church by involving it in a scandal of pedophile priests.

Two hundred and seventy-six religious and forty-nine diocesan priests were arrested in 1937. The arrests took place in all the German dioceses, in order to keep the scandals on the front pages of the newspapers.

On March 10, 1937, with the encyclical Mit brennender Sorge, Pope Pius XI (1857-1939) condemned the Nazi ideology. At the end of the same month, the Nazi Ministry of Propaganda headed by Goebbels launched a campaign against the sexual abuses of priests. The design and administration of this campaign are known to historians thanks to documents which tell a story worthy of the best spy novels.

The expression “moral panic” was only coined by sociologists in the 1970s to identify a social alarm created artificially, by amplifying real facts and exaggerating their numbers through statistical folklore, as well as “discovering” and presenting as “new” events which in reality are already known and which date to the past. There are real events at the base of the panic, but their number is systematically distorted.

Even without the benefit of modern sociology, Goebbels responded to the encyclical Mit brennender Sorge in 1937 with a textbook case of the creation of a moral panic.

As always in moral panics, the facts are not totally invented. Prior to the encyclical there were some cases in Germany of abuse of minors. Mariaux himself considered a religious in the school of Bad Reichenall guilty, as well as a lay teacher, a gardener and a janitor, who were condemned in 1936, although he believed the sanction imposed by the Ministry of Public Instruction in Bavaria – revoking the authorization to run scholastic institutes of four religious orders – to be entirely disproportionate, and he linked it to the desire of the regime to undercut Catholic schools. Also in the case of the Franciscans of Waldbreitbach, in Rhineland, Mariaux was open to the hypothesis that the accused were guilty, although later historians have not excluded the possibility that they were framed by the Nazis.

The cases, which were few, but real, produced a very strong reaction from the episcopate. On June 2, 1936, the Bishop of Münster – Blessed Clemens August von Galen (1878-1946), who was the soul of Catholic resistance to Nazism, and who was beatified in 2005 by Benedict XVI – had a declaration read at all the Sunday Masses in which he expressed “pain and sadness” for these “abominable crimes” that “cover our Holy Church with ignominy.” On August 20, 1936, after the events at Waldbreitbach, the German episcopate published a joint pastoral letter in which they “several condemned” those responsible and underlined the cooperation of the Church with the tribunals of the state.

By the end of 1936, the severe measures taken by the German bishops in reaction to these very few cases, some of which were doubtful, seemed to have resolved the real problems. Quietly, the bishops also pointed out that among teachers in the state schools and in the very youth organization of the regime, the Hitler Youth, the cases of condemnations for sexual abuses were much more numerous than among the Catholic clergy.

It was the anti-Nazi encyclical of Pius XI that led to the great campaign of 1937. Mariaux proved it publishing highly detailed instructions sent by Goebbels to the Gestapo, the political police of the Third Reich, and above all to journalists, just a few days after the publication of Mit brennender Sorge, inviting them to “reopen” the cases from 1936 and also older cases, constantly recalling them to public opinion. Goebbels also ordered the Gestapo to find witnesses willing to accuse a certain number of priests, threatening them with immediate arrest if they didn’t collaborate, even if they were children.

Read more: Mercatornet

Am I the only one who's noticed that most of the "breaking scandals" against the Church are, on average, 20-30 years old? Sure, a new one comes out every once and a while but, it really seems to me that the MSM is completely exaggerating the extent of the problem. If you believe half of what the MSM tells us, you would think EVERY priest was out there molesting children.

But, who are we to doubt what the MSM tells us, especially when if confirms all of our bisaed prejudices against the Church right?

[edit on 4/23/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
OR....

the Nazis realized the church was full of corrupt pedophiles and decided to do something about it?

You know, I can understand your allegiance to the Catholic Faith. But has it blinded you to the facts? Are all these people lying about being molested?

Some of the stories are 20-30 years old because those abused children had to grow up to adults before they gained the courage to speak out! Hello!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

*facepalm

This is just showing people that this problem within the catholic church is not anything new, it was around for a while and even the nazis did not accept it. Just get over it there are pedophiles within the church and as long as you are not a pedophile or helping to cover it up it in no way reflects badly on you. Most people have the IQ to know that just becasue some priests are pedos dies not mean all priests are and all members of the religion are in on it somehow.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
OR....

the Nazis realized the church was full of corrupt pedophiles and decided to do something about it?

Hooray for the Nazis, our heroes.

You know, I can understand your allegiance to the Catholic Faith. But has it blinded you to the facts? Are all these people lying about being molested?

I haven't been blinded to the facts, in fact I've done a lot of research into the issues. For the most part, the cover-ups were done on the local level, without the approval of the Vatican. Priests are actually LESS likely to molest children than the typical male population and all religious groups have pedophile scandals, and the Catholics (while the largest religious group) are at the bottom of the list statistically.(1)

Also, the church has been working hard to fight against pedophelia in the ranks since Benedict XVI took office. (2, 3)

The REAL facts are that there were about 3000 cases of sexual misconduct within the Church within the PAST 50 YEARS (3) which pales in comparison to all of the sexual misconduct that occurs just within the US school system EVERY YEAR (4)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The REAL facts are that there were about 3000 cases of sexual misconduct within the Church within the PAST 50 YEARS (3) which pales in comparison to all of the sexual misconduct that occurs just within the US school system EVERY YEAR (4)

Well not really you have to look at it per capita. Almost every child in the US has to go to school, every school has dozens of teachers every state has hundreds of schools with thousands of kids.
Not every child goes to catholic church. Every church will have a few priests. You are looking at very different population. It would be simmilar to comparing crime rates of montana to the crime rates of England, of course montana is going to have significantly less crime than england if you just look at the number of convictions.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Hooray for the Nazis, our heroes.

Who brought up the subject of Nazis first?

Priests are actually LESS likely to molest children than the typical male population and all religious groups have pedophile scandals, and the Catholics (while the largest religious group) are at the bottom of the list statistically.

All of that may be true. However, why don't you hold your religion to a higher standard? Statistics? Priests have molested kids. The Church has covered it up, moved priests around, etc. for years and years. Forget the stats and demand your Pope do something about it! How about getting the stats to ZERO molesters?

Also, the church has been working hard to fight against pedophelia in the ranks since Benedict XVI took office.

How long has the Catholic Church been around?

The REAL facts are that there were about 3000 cases of sexual misconduct within the Church within the PAST 50 YEARS which pales in comparison to all of the sexual misconduct that occurs just within the US school system EVERY YEAR

Let me get this straight. You are comparing the U.S. public school system standards with the largest, oldest, most powerful, most influential branch of Christianity? Also, have you ever thought about the cases that have not been reported
when you spout out "REAL" facts?

Your posts are putting me under deep hypnosis from my astonishment of your ignorance and blind faith! Stop the madness!

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Signals]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Priests are actually LESS likely to molest children than the typical male population and all religious groups have pedophile scandals, and the Catholics (while the largest religious group) are at the bottom of the list statistically.

All of that may be true. However, why don't you hold your religion to a higher standard? Statistics? Priests have molested kids. The Church has covered it up, moved priests around, etc. for years and years. Forget the stats and demand your Pope do something about it! How about getting the stats to ZERO molesters?

I'm as ticked off at the abuse and the cover-ups as the next guy, probably more so. I do hold my Church to very high standards but you and all of the liberals and the MSM demand the impossible. The Church has apologised, paid millions in reparations and is working hard to rectify the problem.

There will be zero molesters in any organization ONLY when all pedophiles have been wiped from existence. Until then the best any organization can do is to be on it's guard and prosecute them as they are discovered.

Also, the church has been working hard to fight against pedophilia in the ranks since Benedict XVI took office.

How long has the Catholic Church been around?

The extent of the pedophile scandals only came to light during the JP II pontificate. There is evidence that JP II prevented then-Cardinal Ratzinger from taking action. Now that there is nothing holding him back, Benedict has declared all out war on sex abusers, but like I said, nothing will be good enough for the likes of you.

The REAL facts are that there were about 3000 cases of sexual misconduct within the Church within the PAST 50 YEARS which pales in comparison to all of the sexual misconduct that occurs just within the US school system EVERY YEAR

Let me get this straight. You are comparing the U.S. public school system standards with the largest, oldest, most powerful, most influential branch of Christianity? Also, have you ever thought about the cases that have not been reported
when you spout out "REAL" facts?

Well gee, lets compare them with all of the children YOU have molested that haven't come forward yet. You see, that straw man argument can work both ways.

Your posts are putting me under deep hypnosis from my astonishment of your ignorance and blind faith! Stop the madness!

And your posts are beguiling me with the way you have swallowed the whole MSM propaganda spiel hook line and sinker.

It never ceases to amaze me how people on this forum who have full knowledge of how we are lied to by the MSM rush to their defence when their favorite whipping boy, the Catholic Church, is the target of the MSM's lies. It's like there is a disconnect in logic somewhere.

The funny thing is, fair minded Jews and, yes even Atheists can see that the media storm against the Church and especially Benedict XVI is unfair and ideologically driven.

But like I said in my OP, some are so blinded by their biases and prejudices against the Church, they will cling to any ammunition they can use against the Church, no matter how unreputable or obviously biased the source.

This whole situation reminds me of this thread.

I remember hearing about this on the local news and thinking “that dirtbag pedophile got what was coming to him”. It was only when I read Highly Original’s thread about the suspicious circumstances of the killing that I realized I had been manipulated by TPTB.

Pedophilia is an inexcusable crime which naturally induces disgust in the average person. There is no defense for this crime and any who try to make excuses for someone accused of this crime must be either insane or a pedophile himself. This is why the media and TPTB find it to be such a useful tool against those they seek to destroy.

Every organization or group will have a few people inside them who harbor criminal pasts and/ or deviant tendencies. TPTB just need to bring a few of them to light, exaggerate the extent of the problem and in no time the organization they seek to destroy will have been thoroughly discredited in the eyes of the people and will be that much easier to destroy without too much opposition.

Sure, today the MSM has its sights set on the Catholic Church, an organization which many are already biased against for whatever reasons. Tomorrow, they may just turn their sights against a group or organization you hold dear.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Wickipedia

Think about that before you swallow their lies.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Look, ALL organised religion has corruption, scandal, and, unfortunately, pedophiles. The Catholic Church has been around longer than most, and has dealt with this issue poorly. You are an experienced member here, so, in theory, you should be prepared for some resistance with a weak, Nazi'd up argument like "they're doing better now", "they're working on it", etc...

You tried to make a correlation between the standards of the US public school system and your church! It's weak man, weak. You know and I know the record...and it's horrible...disgraceful. Don't come on here and try to justify it with the arguments you have presented, they don't hold up.

Can Catholics overcome this so-called scandal in the press/MSM? Of course! But not by glazing over the past and sweeping it under the rug..COME ON BUDDY.

Believe it or not I'm Christian and I don't watch, pay attention to, or trust mainstream media...nor am I what you accused me of above

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Signals]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Look, ALL organised religion has corruption, scandal, and, unfortunately, pedophiles. The Catholic Church has been around longer than most, and has dealt with this issue poorly. You are an experienced member here, so, in theory, you should be prepared for some resistance with a weak, Nazi'd up argument like "they're doing better now", "they're working on it", etc...

Yes, the Church dealt with the problem poorly UNDER THE PONTIFICATE OF JP II. The way the Church handled these scandals in the past is certainly worthy of condemnation.

The problem is, now that we have a pope who is really doing something about it, the media is calling for his head as if he personally molested all those kids himself.

How is "they're working on it" a Nazi'd up argument? Things like this don't fix themselves overnight. Give the Pope time to work on the problem. At least he acknowledges there IS a problem and attacks it whenever new allegations arise. If his predecessors had done this, the whole problem may have been avoided.

You tried to make a correlation between the standards of the US public school system and your church! It's weak man, weak. You know and I know the record...and it's horrible...disgraceful. Don't come on here and try to justify it with the arguments you have presented, they don't hold up.

No correlation between the standards or the schools and the Church? You may be right, what the schools do in order to cover up their crimes makes the Church look tame by comparison:

In a report in the Seattle Times, the schools and union went so far as to conduct “file parties” so teachers could remove the reports in their files!

Two recent series, one in the Dallas Morning News (Jennings and Tharp, May 2003) and the other in the Seattle Times (Willmsen and O’Hagan, December 2003), examined educator sexual misconduct in their respective states. Jennings and Tharp focused on 606 cases of educator sexual misconduct from Texas State Board of Educator Certification records and Willmsen and O’Hagan targeted abuse by coaches. In both instances, reporters commented on the difficulty of obtaining information on educator sexual misconduct. O’Hagan and Willmsen (Dec. 14, 2003) write:

When the Seattle Times asked the Bellevue School District for information about teachers and coaches accused of sexual misconduct, school officials and the state’s most powerful union teamed up behind the scenes to try to hide the files. Bellevue school officials even let teachers purge their own records at union-organized “file parties” to prevent disclosure.

Conspiracy of Silence: US Public Schools sex abuse goes unreported and unpunished

Can Catholics overcome this so-called scandal in the press/MSM? Of course! But not by glazing over the past and sweeping it under the rug..COME ON BUDDY.

No one is trying to glaze over the past or sweep the problems under the rug. Benedict XVI has acknowledged the problems exist, made apologies and actively worked to prosecute those responsible, that's hardly "sweeping it under the rug". Clearing out the priests who committed the offences is the easy part, going after those in power who covered up the crimes will be a much greater challenge for the pope and will take much longer and will involve great power struggles within the Church. All I ask is that Benedict XVI be given time to work out the problems and clean the filth from the Church.

Believe it or not I'm Christian and I don't watch, pay attention to, or trust mainstream media...nor am I what you accused me of above

Believe it or not, I am a great admirer of yours and I greatly enjoy your postings. I know you know better which is why I was so shocked you bought into the current media assault on the Church.

I'm not trying to make excuses for what happened under JP II or earlier. What happened then was reprehensible. The point I am trying to make is that the CURRENT media storm against Benedict XVI is largely unfair and obviously agenda driven.

The article showing the Nazi tactics of dredging up old scandals and presenting them as breaking news to keep the scandals fresh in the minds of the sheeple just seemed to me to be very relevant to the current attacks on the pope.

I'm not denying that bad things, horrible things have happened within the Catholic Church. I do not believe that what happened was merely a Nazi propaganda ploy. I acknowledge that child sex abuse and cover-ups DID happen. What I AM SAYING is that the current attacks against the current pope who is trying to solve the problem DO have all the marks of a Nazi inspired propaganda program.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I'm with you now

I jumped the gun a bit, it was your OP. Now that you've cleared it up I understand.

I think what got me going was that I feel that Catholics are on the defensive right now. Lots of damage control out there, which has the tendency to paint a rosier picture of the past.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

That's cool, lots of folks are pissed off about the Church's handeling of this whole mess, and rightfully so. It's easy to get caught up in the emotionalism.

I'm glad I was able to clarify that I was referring to the unjust attacks on the current pontiff and not trying to gloss over the past crimes of the criminals in the Church.

People need to keep in mind that the crimes were comitted by individuals in the Church, not by the Church itself. People do bad things, sometimes in the name of the Church, this does not make the Church evil, only the actions of the people who did the bad things are evil.

The people who did the bad things may have acted out of bad information or a false sense of charity when covering up for the pedophiles, that does not necessarily make them evil people, just people with bad judgment.

Were there some evil people involved in the scandals? Certainly yes. The pedophiles themselves can hardly be defended and some of those who protected them may have had evil motives themselves but, to paint the whole Church as evil because of their actions is a travesty of justice.

The Church needs to be given the opportunity to cleanse itself and work to rebuild it's reputation. Dragging up old scandals does justice to no one.

[edit on 4/24/10 by FortAnthem]

new topics

join