It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Babylonia conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
There are so many similarities to Babylonia mythology to today's current religion systems. I wonder if our ancestors simply forgot were the influence of their beliefs came from or someone took snippets of Babylonia religion and made it their own. I'm just curious if we're all just following old twisted tales from a empire that existed in the country were at war with.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
In a word, "yes"...

The Sumerian legends are the archetypes of many stories that are now associated with other religions and entrenched within their texts, although notably, missing from the original belief systems of the Americas.

This is not to say that they all derive from the same source, but many do despite protestations to the contrary.

Glad to see that you took the Sigils off the helmet!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

Thanks friend. Also, I heard the Aztecs had similar legends.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The flood legend is, perhaps, the most widespread story where there is clear similarity, although this is not surprising considering the world-wide precedent for cataclysmic floods of some kind or another.

There is a great little chart here which shows some common themes from stories around the world. Again, this is not to say that they all stem from the same source.

Floods produce the same kind of reaction from human beings no matter which continent they reside and so a normative recording of such events should be expected.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

Yes, I have to agree with you. Many cultures felt the same way about something and then explain it different. Learning about the origins of things is difficult.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Origins are like the roots of a tree, however, it isn't just the roots but the branches that are of interest; from the branches grow the buds of flower that spread the nectar of knowledge via the bees and the birds.

Although the origins of these stories exude an aroma irresistible to academic senses, it is just as worthwhile tracing the chain of knowledge to see where it ends up, like a bottle drifting in the ocean currents.

Sometimes, those currents take you to uncharted waters and reveal the most interesting things.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Of course some of them knew where it all came from but just like you see today. Especially in religion. People create something that fits best to their believes from what they know. They tend to be picky and add or loose stuff from the original.

Just my two cents.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Just my two cents.

Yeah two posts
Sorry !

[edit on 4/23/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
sugarcube, love the way you think!, and you pretty much covered all the angles of the question asked by romantic_rebel. its very true that most religion currently stems from older sources such as the enuma elish to name just one. there are even many references to beings very similar encountered all across the world, just look at enoch/thoth/hermes/quetzalcoatl,all very similar entities, now i dont take everything on blind faith but i do believe that there are things in this world that can only be revealed through belief, there is a big part of our human history and the true potential of consciousness that is unknown to the vast majority of us. nice thinkin OP

new topics

top topics

join