It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Beams of the Universe: NASA Expert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Did Gamma Ray Bursts Prevent Intelligent Life from Evolving for Billions of Years?

NASA's Swift Satellite rocketed into orbit in November 2004 studies gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) -- the biggest and most violent and mysterious explosions in the cosmos. On April 13, the spacecraft's "burst-o-meter" cataloged its 500th GRB, caused when massive stars implode to form black holes releasing a massive spray of deadly energy in the form of electrically charged particles directed along pairs of oppositely oriented narrow beams that in turn generate intense gamma ray radiation that paint the Milky Way in arcs, like a cosmic death beam as the black hole rotates.

In its first five years in orbit, NASA's Swift satellite has given astronomers more than they could have hoped for. Its discoveries range from a nearby nascent supernova to a blast so far away that it happened when our universe was only 5 percent of its present age.

If a gamma ray sweeps over a planet, all complex life could be annihilated. Gamma ray bursts where more common in the past, and could have prevented intelligent life from evolving in the Milky Way (and other galaxies) for billions of years. But there are still occurring, and still a potential life-destroying threat. Here's a fascinating inventory of major gamma ray bursts, NASA has observed since the SWIFT Satellite was launched in 2004.

Source: www.dailygalaxy.com...
Simple amazing. Makes you realize how we tiny we humans are in this universe but how lucky we are to have the brains and ability to watch and learn from the univers
e. Just makes me believe there is something greater than ourselves-as a race.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Good stuff, s&f.

I'm just hoping we don't get annihilated by some massive gamma ray burst in 2012 when we move to the center of the milky way. But ya never know because no one really knows what might happen if that is the case. Some argue enlightenment and others death.

Nice pics as well.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crossfate
I'm just hoping we don't get annihilated by some massive gamma ray burst in 2012 when we move to the center of the milky way.

Errrm where to begin

By we I think you must be referring to the solar system as a whole - there is NO danger of us moving towards the centre of the milky way
- and in 2 and a half years? Nah nope nada...

I think you may be referring to the natural way the solar system traverses the Galactic Plain - if you imagine the milky way edge on we periodically rise and fall through the denser area - this takes 10's of millions of years for each cycle, so while it is true that we may well be more likely to encounter more 'events' because well, space will be a bit busier - in 2 and a half years we will not notice any major increase........ It will just be a tiny fraction of a process that takes millions and millions of years to repeat.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Death Beams of the Universe: NASA Expert
Did Gamma Ray Bursts Prevent Intelligent Life from Evolving for Billions of Years?

Firstly the above quote seems to have originated from the site dailygalaxy.com
as I can find NO reference to ANY NASA EXPERT saying any such thing.

After a search I've found that all other sites mentioning this refer back to Dailygalaxy.

Dailygalaxy.com is one mans blog! Not a scientific site and the sensational headlines seem to be just his opinion.

Secondly he provides no source, (site or name) for the statement
If a gamma ray sweeps over a planet, all complex life could be annihilated. Gamma ray bursts where more common in the past, and could have prevented intelligent life from evolving in the Milky Way (and other galaxies) for billions of years
So who knows where he got it from, I can't find any reference to scientists saying anything of the sort.

For the facts on the NASA swift mission see:

The Swift Gamma-Ray Burst Mission

It would have been better to quote NASA for this thread.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

My bad...

Would alignment to the center sound more proper or galactic alignment?

I appreciate the sarcasm.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

I only put up what is on the headline and then added some text in the headline on the story. The story speaks for itself.

As far a NASA experts, I beleive she is referring to the people identified in the story that work here: NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center [Lorella Angelini, a Goddard astrophysicist & "On the one hand, it's just a number, but on the other it is a remarkable milestone," said Neil Gehrels, Swift's lead researcher at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

You may wish to take up you points of concern(s) with the articles writer: Casey Kazan via NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center/Swift.

I hope this helps.

Casey Kazan via NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center/Swift

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Simple amazing. Makes you realize how we tiny we humans are in this universe but how lucky we are to have the brains and ability to watch and learn from the univers

Yeah i star'ed you for this,
. The ability to observe the universe gives us a reason to be here.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Daily Galaxy is a pretty good popular science blog, mostly about astronomy, but it focuses on other areas, too. The stuff presented there is all based on the most current science, and the stories are usually linked to other source material where the stories are derived.

I read it a lot because it gives a good digest of stuff that's happening recently in science, without being too overwhelming. Sometimes I wish it were edited better, but what can you do.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The Milky Way is 100,000 lightyears across. if we are 2/3rds the radius [50,000 lightyears] from the center that is around 33,333 lightyears from the center.

For bodies as massive as our planets & the Sun to even get even a fraction of the speed of light would take virtually impossible amounts of energy, so any 'collision' with the center of the galaxy, if there is even one expected would take 10s of millions of years to happen.

Say we got up to 100000 mph straight perpendicular to the rotation of the galaxy, that would be 1/6696th the speed of light so,
6696 * 33,333 = 223,197,768 years for us to get to the center of the galaxy

in the neighborhood of a quarter billion years.

and in 2012? you are joking, right?

(hope i didn't seriously screw up any of the math. that can be so embarrassing.)

[edit on 23-4-2010 by slank]

new topics

top topics

join