It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Launches Secretive Space Plane; 'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

I'm sorry, that makes no sense from a design standpoint.

The X-37 has a maximum duration (allegedly) of 270 days in orbit - it is not designed to stay up there indefinitely.

Bearing in mind that it takes days to prepare a launch, when a ballistic missile takes just minutes, why would you want to put a nuke in it, and how would it give you a 30 minute capability?

With the availability of submarine launched ballistic missiles, we can hit anywhere in the world within 60 minutes as it is.

This is plainly designed for something else.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A plane just big enough to retrofit and repair detoriating military satellite maybe?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This has become a nice discussion, the "space "truck" mentioned by Truth1000 is what makes this so interesting, even when it went up there empty with an empty cargo-hold, which I don't believe either, like Gazrok mentioned; the normal space shuttle program has been used for this purpose too.

Yeah the possibilities are endless, the input so far in this topic;

satellite repair/destruction/sat-napping?

Spying platform
weapon payload/satellite payload
rescue vehicle/supplies for ISS?

For those reasons I understand that other so called superpowers could find it provocative.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Nope it doesn't make sense, but nothing wrong with speculation here.

Again, I think it's just a simple as looking at the UAV program and consider the vehicles an extension of that. When the first UAV's were deployed they did not carry weapons - they were for surveillance used to relay relevant information to guide troops or other weapon platforms to their targets.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It might be on a suicide mission? Maybe its going to just collect data send it back and eventually it will meet its fate somewhere in space. Maybe they are going to fly it directly into Niburu?

'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back' could be translated to 'We Don't Know 'IF' It's Coming Back'

[edit on 23-4-2010 by StealthKix]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Generally speaking I find most ideas tossed around on this forum pretty laughable, but I think a few of you are on to something here. Namely, that this is a testbed for some new tech and not a full fledged weapon system. UAV's are fairly old hat for the USAF by now so my guess is that they're playing with advanced AI's for autonomously controlled craft. Heck, they may be running tests on several things at once, but the AI would be the main project. The reason they don't know when it's coming back is because it doesn't know when it's coming back quite yet.

Not as fun as secret space stations or alien space craft, but it seems plausible to me.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Throwing thoughts around recon for iranian defence installations but satelites can do that .going in to deep space reckon planet x

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Just google this craft and you can find TONS of info. WAY more than has been presented in this thread for sure.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975

Originally posted by Vicious Jones

Air Force Launches Secretive Space Plane; 'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back'

www.wired.com

The Air Force launched a secretive space plane into orbit last night from Cape Canaveral, Florida. And they’re not sure when it’s returning to Earth.

Perched atop an Atlas V rocket, the Air Force’s unmanned and reusable X-37B made its first flight after a decade in development shrouded in mystery; most of the mission goals remain unknown to the public.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: CNN video.
Mystery Military Space Plane

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Vicious Jones]

What's so secretive? When NASA worked on the project it was wide open. It was transferred to DARPA in 04 and then they had a huge specctale/media event test flight in 07 that was barely covered. Rest your paranoia, its ok.

Rods from God maybe,

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

Read the thread.....I and several others already mentioned rods from God on like page 2......

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 911stinks
I agree that something stinks here.

If there wasn't something up, there would be no secrecy.

It's the Air Force doing this, so it is designed to destroy, maim and kill.

Exactly. This is the military we're talking about, not NASA. Obviously it's going to be used to destroy, maim and kill, like you said. It's funny, in the video the Air Force guy says that it's to be used for exactly the same reasons as the NASA space shuttle. If it doesn't already, it will carry weapon systems.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenagain

Beat me to it!! I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps the USAF/DoD are going to use this vehicle to position pods of tungsten kinetic rods out in orbit. No need for nuclear weapons.
Here's an article from 5 years ago that sounds kind of prescient to me:

The Rods from God

That would make any rogue state nervous....

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You have a very good point but even an official statement which is disinformation would not be of any use either, would it? It is just another case of don't do as we do but do as we say...however, in this case, I would imagine that the statement of not knowing when it would return probably applies to whether some endgoal is successful or not...I am wishing that there would be measuring devices aboard to detect underground tunnels, thwarting all the entries into the USA from north and south...this excursion into space could be very useful and as such, probably the less known about it the better...just knowing this much appears at times to be telling too much...if it is a true military operation...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
looks like nasa is working on its bigger brother ?? the x-48B?

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Yeah, this is a result of a long debate. The only reason astronauts where introduced into the program was to sell it to the public. Maybe others have mentioned this.

Essentially, all the NASA flights have been computer controlled droids. I am surprised they haven't been doing this for a long, long time.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

beautiful

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephi1337

I can't wait.

SPEHS MEHREENS!!!

One day there will be a landing like Normandy, but it will be from orbit.

Streaks of light filling the sky as dropships and spaceborne paratroopers descend upon the earth, all to the battle hymn of Rodger Young.

Explains why Starship Troopers has been on official military reading lists.

Now If I can just get someone at the Pentagon to name one of the spaceborne units as the Ultramarines.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicious Jones

Nothing new here... the Air Force has been doing such things for a while now. You should look up the patents. Also the UFOS are U.S military aircraft. I don't believe we have aliens or UFO's are alien crafts. I believe that it's all U.S government projects. There is a space race to the moon again but this time it's about drilling for helium 3. China already sent a probe to find the best spot to drill and has been making their own space planes same with the U.S and Russia. It's a new age in space racing. I wounder if we might have wars in space or on the moon? Interesting evens that are taking place right now.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
all that or...

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
i like the "space race" theoery but i dont understand what space race has to do with the us military?

i know they use there black/unmarked helicopters but people say that they are ufo's

i believe in aliens and i think that they are already here

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join