It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Launches Secretive Space Plane; 'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Heres another link for you all, nothing you dont know already but more the better?
www.dailymail.co.uk...

My personal feeling is...anxious, i dont know what to make of it.
It could bring amazing leaps or something that i would rather not even start talking about. What does worry me is the secrecy.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
China seems to be nervous to.
video 1
www.youtube.com...
video 2
www.youtube.com...
video 3
www.youtube.com...

【Video】 X37B today concerned about the HQ off, the United States into a human ...

[edit on 23-4-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Solasis

I think that particular part of the story is highly interesting. I have a question . Is this some form of unmaned vehicle ? Or are they suggesting we believe that some poor airforce dude has been sent up on an open ended mission ? Surely SOMEONE knows when its comming back ? I highly doubt that this craft was sent out on a trajectory which hadnt been very carefuly planned , and vetted by all sorts off the highest of boffins.

First, I can't see this as a spy platform for the simple fact why build a shuttle when they can launch a massive satellite with whatever surveillance package they want and at a higher altitude. Why have something that doesn't have 24 hour surveillance unlike a satellite that is up there for years. Two, the only country that is somewhat of a threat to us in space is Russia. And this goes back to the ability to have real time observation 24/7 without saying "hey lets send up the space plane and take a look at said country that doesn't have the capability of getting at our vehicles". Also if it's supposed to be a weapon or a weapon carrier, unless it has some type of high energy plasma weapon/particle canon that can shoot repeatedly its really not worth putting a device that is a one or even two shot device, even if it is a nuke.

I think they are testing out some new type of system and/or device, and it may be as one person say a form of magnetic radiation shield (which is doable) or a new type of drive/propulsion system.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I would say anyone who is not the US or closely tied is probably nervous.

"Hey guys we have a super secret unmanned space vehicle we are testing out! Sorry we can't tell you what it does or when it is coming back. Just thought we should mention it..."

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The x37B is obviously a drone type vehicle. Now what are current drones used for? Well there used for hunting, killing and surveillance of targeted groups or individuals. This may be the next generation of just that. imagine a vehicle that has the ability to stalk and kill any target be it in orbit or one the ground.
This drone can fly around in space and take out communication satellites. No more need to try and hit them with a missal from thousands of miles away. Now we can fly right up to one and zap it, them head on over to the next one and do the same. Very conservative use of resources if you ask me.
The reason for the open ended return date is because it’s mission is to be on call when needed until the next one or more is put in orbit.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

A video from the Pentagon Channel. They say it will help the war fighters of the future? So I guess other countries should be taking a second look.

They say its being ran by The Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office?

[edit on 23-4-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm not one for "crazy" ideas...

but i have a "kooky" idea,,,!!

I am one of those people who inherited an old Satellite dish that was Top of the line in 1982 lol
lots of people have these dinosaurs scattered around every metro area
in the usa...
is there not a way we can "tie" them all together to monitor the real space program.??

sure there may be code work,, but to "listen in" on our tax dollars at work. might be worth the trouble..

like i said a Kooky idea,, but not crazy........?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You should be a lot more interested in what will be going inside the X-37 than the vehicle itself, which is actually quite mundane.

The X-37B is known to exist, there are photos of it, they used SpaceShip One to drop test it for crying out loud, a privately owned aircraft.

The purpose of this space vehicle is obvious to me - when you launch a satellite, everyone sees it when it gets hoisted up onto the gantry, stuff that was launched by the military on the space shuttle gave them heartburn because it was a civilian vehicle.

Now they have their own delivery system, and while everyone gets panty twisted about the wrapper, the military is quietly getting the candy bar ready.........

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

What in the world? Why don't they know when it's coming back? Did they not do any calculations just because that would mean that someone could know what they were up to? Did they have to keep this a secret from themselves?

The USAF is keeping it a secret from NASA and the press. They know when it's coming back, but we won't.

On the surface, it's likely doing just what it claims to be doing, i.e. testing out the platform, the possibilities for future robotic space vehicles, etc.

On the flip side, I don't think they spent all this dough to have it go up empty...there's a military satellite tucked in there, I'd bet my last dollar on it...in addition to it's other mission parameters.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

You can look at the launch on this video with the use of the telescope that shows the separation of the drone from the rocket. Cool!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
LOL

Note to people making threads:

If you want your thread to get noticed don't put it in the aircraft section!!! The space section isn't a good place to get noticed either.

Seriously, there has been a thread in the aircraft section about this for a few weeks now. But put the thread in "Breaking News" and in a few hours everyone's talking about it and it's on the front page of ATS.

No offense meant to the OP. I just think this topic is extreamly interesting and have been confused for weeks as to why no one wanted to talk about it.

OK sorry for the rant. I'll go back and read the thread now, and come back with my two cents.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It is going to be used for something related to Planet X/Nibiru or for war.

Pick one or both.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

On the flip side, I don't think they spent all this dough to have it go up empty...there's a military satellite tucked in there, I'd bet my last dollar on it...in addition to it's other mission parameters.

I think you'd lose your dollar.

On the first flight they will be testing vehicle systems and performing flight maneuvers, they won't risk a payload on trip #1.

As for future missions, I would bet my last dollar that it will be anything but satellites that are going in that thing. The military is dependent on scaring people to get funding, and the big scare right now is a nuclear armed ballistic missile from a rogue state, also spelled Iran.

It's too small for a practical laser system, I think it's going to put the follow-on development of the ASM-135 into orbit, it's the launch vehicle for a pre-positioned geostationary array of satellite killers all neatly sealed up in launch pods, a space based version of CAPTOR if you will.

I think I can hear the NSA knocking on my door now.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

What in the world? Why don't they know when it's coming back? Did they not do any calculations just because that would mean that someone could know what they were up to? Did they have to keep this a secret from themselves?

The USAF is keeping it a secret from NASA and the press. They know when it's coming back, but we won't.

On the surface, it's likely doing just what it claims to be doing, i.e. testing out the platform, the possibilities for future robotic space vehicles, etc.

Someone else pointed out that there are websites where people will track its orbit. However, if it "disappears" from orbit, that's when it starts to get interesting. At that point the CT's here have to start asking if this is a test of some new interplanetary (or dare I say interstellar?) technology (possibly from ET's?). Be one explanation of why they say they don't know when it's coming back.

Just saying ...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

think you'd lose your dollar.

On the first flight they will be testing vehicle systems and performing flight maneuvers, they won't risk a payload on trip #1.

Sure they will.

I'm not saying it's a satellite weapon...My guess is that it is a spy satellite, and a very new gen one at that. Information is far more important right now, than having a weapon in space...and in the past, such "non-payload" missions are EXACTLY how (allegedly) they've launched such satellites...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
S&F for posting this information! I've been following it for some time, but didn't get to post the information on ATS yet.

There was a video on Youtube that is of course no longer available that associated the X-37B with the Dynosaur of the early 60s...the video directed its viewers to the following links:

There is an article at the Space Flight Now website, which goes into details on the X-37B, and finally mentions the following:

The craft is the manifestation of the Air Force's long-held, on-and-off again dream to operate its own space plane.

The first time the military flirted with the idea of a reusable spaceship was the Dyna-Soar project of the late 1950s and early 1960s. The Dyna-Soar, also named the X-20, was envisioned as a piloted spacecraft for anti-satellite, reconnaissance and even space weapons applications.

You can find further detailed information on the Dyna-Soar at Wikipedia (of course).

You can also find another article on the X-37B details here

Boeing or the Air Force won't divulge any information on what equipment is being transported on this space plane. That's the secret. The basic tech specs are easy to find anywhere online, and the link above explains what their aims are with this space plane.

However the article claims the following:

The objectives of the OTV program include space experimentation, risk reduction and a concept of operations development for reusable space vehicle technologies.

"A concept of operations development for reusable space vehicle technologies" could include so many different things...

Prepare, North Korea
I don't see why the US would forever give up on their Dyna-Soar idea, which is based on the Nazis' Silbervogel bomber project... (see Operation Paperclip)....

[edit on 23-4-2010 by MightyAl]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The X-37 is the latest result from decades of scramjet research at NASA. It's been tossed around and recycled many times, sucking massive amounts of money in development costs while providing little in return, aside from breaking its own speed records. It looks like NASA has finally left it on the wayside, where the Air Force came along and picked it up.

Now, I suspect, the X-37B has a new role which it is perfect for: To provide an excuse for massive amounts of black project spending in the DoD budget. Now, whenever Congress wants to know what is being done with the American people's money, and why so much of it is going into covert Air Force developments, the Air Force can point at the X-37B and say, "See? We're putting it to good use. The true purpose of this craft is confidential, but I'm sure you'll understand."

And because nobody in Congress is familiar with aerospace technologies, they cannot possibly understand that there is no way in HELL that a modestly impressive scramjet strapped to a previous generation's rocket would cost that much money, leaving the vast majority of the Air Force's black budget freely available to use on their festering black hole of cover-ups, which has been leeching America's tax money and hijacking her top scientific minds for almost a century.

... Anyway, that's my suspicion.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This is just another secret to add to the list. The more I see NASA and the Air Force develop the more I fear for our planet. They literally do everything in secret. If it were not for the mighty American tax dollar these agencies would have nothing. What do they give us in return? Nothing. Some crappy photos out of the hundreds of thousands if not millions that they have. I am sick of it. The only reason I support NASA is for me to get information on space and what is really out there. Now I just feel like I am getting ripped off and all my tax money goes to secrets. The 20,000 plus people who work for NASA didn't achieve all of this by themselves, it was our entire society that achieved it and until the people at the top realize that we will always be losing.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by dplum517]

[edit on 23-4-2010 by dplum517]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicious Jones

Air Force Launches Secretive Space Plane; 'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back'

www.wired.com

The Air Force launched a secretive space plane into orbit last night from Cape Canaveral, Florida. And they’re not sure when it’s returning to Earth.

Perched atop an Atlas V rocket, the Air Force’s unmanned and reusable X-37B made its first flight after a decade in development shrouded in mystery; most of the mission goals remain unknown to the public.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: CNN video.
Mystery Military Space Plane

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Vicious Jones]

What's so secretive? When NASA worked on the project it was wide open. It was transferred to DARPA in 04 and then they had a huge specctale/media event test flight in 07 that was barely covered. Rest your paranoia, its ok.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Sorry if i missed the entire thread but i believe its secret mission is for the planet X or nibiru, its pretty obovius why they wont let the general public know so much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join