It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Launches Secretive Space Plane; 'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Actualy the guys who fly UAV, for the military are all military themselves, and I would assume therefore that nothing much will change in regards to the airforce, apart from the locations from which a craft is piloted . Instead of being in a cockpit they will be in a comms bunker or some such thing. But other than that, its not a massive change . It will probably be the same sort of folks doing the work after all . I can assure you it wont be a bunch of pizza faced cyber nerds who wouldnt be capable of any other gainful employment.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Awory

It's an open secret.

Do those links describe the payload in full detail? No.

Do those links describe the metallurgy, electronics, or aerodynamics in full detail ? No.

Therefore, it is a open secret.

You can see a secret exists and where it is, but you can't figure out what is on the inside!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Actualy the guys who fly UAV, for the military are all military themselves, and I would assume therefore that nothing much will change in regards to the airforce, apart from the locations from which a craft is piloted . Instead of being in a cockpit they will be in a comms bunker or some such thing. But other than that, its not a massive change . It will probably be the same sort of folks doing the work after all . I can assure you it wont be a bunch of pizza faced cyber nerds who wouldnt be capable of any other gainful employment.

Remember that Movie Stealth??

In the movie, the USAF developed an Autonomous Jet. That means it was piloted by AI.

In the movie, the jet went haywire and decided to start making it's own orders and making choices.

It was showing how easily an AI can turn on it's masters.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah I remember stealth ... good lord that film was awful. I hope that the Airforce havent decided to put AI in this machine (well ,any more than you would find in target recognition systems in your average modern fighter craft). Space bourne haywire kill you machines in space is not what I would call a great plan.
More seriously , I wonder why all of this secrecy , over what looks on the face of it to be a completely unimpressive mini shuttle . I mean is it super manouvrable, have a really rapid engine? Whats the angle here ?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicious Jones

The Air Force's Secretive Space Plane isn't to Secretive

Air Force X-37B Space-Plane.

Source:
Although the X-37B is outfitted to spend up to 270 days in orbit, the first mission's length will hinge on accomplishing all of its goals.

"We'll have certain de-orbit opportunities just like the shuttle does," Payton said. "We aren't married to any particular on-orbit duration right now."

"Hypersonic" Programs from HIFiRE, DARPA, AEDC are in Full Swing when the Shuttle Program is shut

Zelong.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I wont disagree with you, but I could easily imagine a future where the worlds of warfare and video games becomes disturbingly intertwined. Apart from asking gamers for their input on the ergonomics of control designs finding top notch gamers to pilot unmanned battle field equipment or pulling them into the military to do so is not beyond my rational.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I wonder if later ones will have space for a pilot.

Or a pilot and one crewman.
Open testing for a later black manned project.

If they build it with a cover over the cockpit that would come off after launch and a crew pod in the cargo bay they could have a space fighter plane or a manned ASAT platform.

A small nose launched space plane would be a lot safer then the side launched space shuttle, nothing like foam to come off the rocket and hit the craft.
also in case there is a problem a X37 type space plane could seperate during launch and fly back in case of a launch problem.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zelong

The Air Force's Secretive Space Plane isn't to Secretive

Zelong.

Just copying the headline, thx for the post good stuff!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
You know, I keep looking at this and thinking... "By god you would have thought that what with all the really clever dudes at nasa, they would have come up with something better than the same old design features? Maybe totaly new engines, rocketless launches, SOMETHING that isnt totaly old hat."
Oh and by the way I know this an airforce gig, but really , move together dudes, can we PLEASE stop lofting un manned junk ? Pretty freakin please? Never gonna get past the moon if we dont keep putting people in these craft. I am SO dissapointed.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Oh I agree to an extent. Pulling in gamers and designers to improve the control methods is a great idea. Comes from the same way avionics designers build planes and control systems. They ask the experts. However, theres no place in any military for people who cant break a neck with a two punch combo. Your armchair air aces just couldnt ever do it!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I suggest that selection criteria for pilots will change, significantly. Perfect vision and physical abilities to tolerate high G forces will be unimportant. Flying and tactical skills and response times will still be valuable. This is not to say that gamers will be the only choice of pilots. There are many who are not immersed in video games who may be much better at playing/flying if they are given a serious reason.
Flight envelopes and threat responses will be the "rules" of the game. Training will not require actual flights as there will be no difference in the "feel" of flight between training and actual flight. Many can be screened, trained, and developed for as long as required. They may not even know if they are playing a game or fighting a battle, e.g., "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.
The USAF motto, "We fly, we fight" may someday be changed to "We sit, we play."

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
ANNED:... "Open testing for a later black manned project. "

I laughed... i don't even know what to say... lol. There are just SO many hilarious possibilities for this statement.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by MavRck]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

I suggest that selection criteria for pilots will change, significantly. Perfect vision and physical abilities to tolerate high G forces will be unimportant. Flying and tactical skills and response times will still be valuable. This is not to say that gamers will be the only choice of pilots. There are many who are not immersed in video games who may be much better at playing/flying if they are given a serious reason.
Flight envelopes and threat responses will be the "rules" of the game. Training will not require actual flights as there will be no difference in the "feel" of flight between training and actual flight. Many can be screened, trained, and developed for as long as required. They may not even know if they are playing a game or fighting a battle, e.g., "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

Nice drop with "Ender's Game" was thinking the same thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

You know, I keep looking at this and thinking... "By god you would have thought that what with all the really clever dudes at nasa, they would have come up with something better than the same old design features? Maybe totaly new engines, rocketless launches, SOMETHING that isnt totaly old hat."
Oh and by the way I know this an airforce gig, but really , move together dudes, can we PLEASE stop lofting un manned junk ? Pretty freakin please? Never gonna get past the moon if we dont keep putting people in these craft. I am SO dissapointed.

This is the new age in space flight. "Hypersonic's" from ground launchers at Mach-4 some programs I've came across are going for Mach-20 mark
an are all in full swing now this month last month onwards.
Obama says no more Shuttle, don't dispare it's now "Hypersonic's"
"Hypersonic" Programs from HIFiRE, DARPA, AEDC are in Full Swing when the Shuttle Program is shut

Zelong.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Its not a damn bit of use in my opinion unless we can travel in it . Hypersonic speed is worth next to jack without the ability to carry flesh and blood at that speed, and in saftey.Oh sure, we can reposition our satelites faster, and get scientific equipment from point a to point b quicker... yes, but you cant inspire someone at mach 4 unless someone was in the craft. You can put a footprint on an unvisited planet unless you bought the legs torso arms and head that come with the feet, and for that reason I call BS on all unmaned space vehicles (not including satelites, and space telescopes, which arent vehicles anyway, but you never know when a douche will pull you up on these things).

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

Robotics.
"The fastest official flight by a manned rocket-propelled aircraft was in 1967, when test pilot Pete Knight reached 7,274 km's per hour(just under Mach-6) in the North American X-15.
The official air speed record for a manned airbreathing jet aircraft was set in 1976 when a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird spy plane reached 3,530 km's per hour" (Mach-3).
NASA to Launch Cylonesque Robot to International Space Station

NASA will launch the first human-like robot to space later this year to become a permanent resident of the International Space Station. Robonaut 2, or R2, was developed jointly by NASA and General Motors under a cooperative agreement to develop a robotic assistant that can work alongside humans, whether they are astronauts in space or workers at GM manufacturing plants on Earth.
The 300-pound R2 consists of a head and a torso with two arms and two hands. R2 will launch on space shuttle Discovery as part of the STS-133 mission planned for September. Once aboard the station, engineers will monitor how the robot operates in weightlessness.

Zelong.

[edit on 23/4/10 by Zelong]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well, with the space shuttle being retired, I figure the AF has some payloads they'd like to get to orbit without going through a private company.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Can you imagine how the US would be reacting if this was - oh, let's say Korea North sending this rig into space? Or Iran?

The double standards alone are disgusting.

Whatever NASA is doing they owe it to the world to 'tell all'

Just as the US would force other nations to comply so should they.

peace

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
RoboNaut looks like a FUSION of R2D2 and 3CpO what with the gold, white and blue... etc.

By the way, just reading some of the 'disappointments' at this craft... SOMETIMES i forget where i am

How many years ahead is the gov/military complex supposed to be compared to GP?

What happened to it being common knowledge that NASA is a puppet for show while backstage the real operations are performed with much, much more advanced sophisticated aircraft!!?!?!?!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MavRck

RoboNaut looks like a FUSION of R2D2 and 3CpO what with the gold, white and blue... etc.

By the way, just reading some of the 'disappointments' at this craft... SOMETIMES i forget where i am

How many years ahead is the gov/military complex supposed to be compared to GP?

What happened to it being common knowledge that NASA is a puppet for show while backstage the real operations are performed with much, much more advanced sophisticated aircraft!!?!?!?!

Seriously, if they're showing us this bad boy. I wonder what is lurking in the shadows. Spoilers the ufos are piloted by humans

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join