It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Launches Secretive Space Plane; 'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Air Force Launches Secretive Space Plane; 'We Don't Know When It's Coming Back'

www.wired.com

The Air Force launched a secretive space plane into orbit last night from Cape Canaveral, Florida. And they’re not sure when it’s returning to Earth.

Perched atop an Atlas V rocket, the Air Force’s unmanned and reusable X-37B made its first flight after a decade in development shrouded in mystery; most of the mission goals remain unknown to the public.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: CNN video.
Mystery Military Space Plane

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Vicious Jones]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
So the air force is launching secretive space planes, while it could very well be an innocent development, I always enjoy imagining something more sinister. Could it be the first developed military space plane? We could fight off some ufos
. Honestly I don't quite know what to make of this one, mainly because not much is explained but I'm sure we could make our own theories. Interesting none the less.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Vicious Jones]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
starred and flagged.

Great article which has got me thinking about something else and has pushed me to go do some research and some digging. I love threads that do that

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
hmm....
Somehow got me thinking about Phobos?

Maybe its going there to take a closer look

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
That's actually revolutionary when you think about it. America already owed the Space from Earth.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I believe so...

At only 29 feet long, the X-37B is roughly one fourth the size of the space shuttle. It’s onboard batteries and solar arrays (pictured at left from it’s NASA days) can keep it operating for up to nine months according to the Air Force.

question... how many nukes can it hold?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicious Jones

I agree. Let's just see what this baby can do. Can you imagine how much this cost.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/198df34f9402.jpg[/atsimg]
Atrist rendition of it:

Looks like a Shuttle-coupe. More of a surveillance vehicle I would think. It would be nice to know that it was heading to Phobos....

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Very likely something sinister.
From Huffington Post

However, the ultimate purpose of the X-37B and details about the craft have longed remained a mystery, though experts said the spacecraft was intended to speed up development of combat-support systems and weapons systems.

On its way to Iran?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I agree that something stinks here.

If there wasn't something up, there would be no secrecy.

It's the Air Force doing this, so it is designed to destroy, maim and kill.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I too wonder about that . I would have thought that idealy they would fit some scaled down version of the anti missile lazer on the thing instead. Doesnt require massive ammo weight ... mind you the equipment itself is fairly weighty at least, the large version is.
I wonder if this space plane is fitted with a magnetic sheild. It was proven that the sorts of radiation which are a danger to space bourne craft, could be deflected away from an object via the production of a particular form of electromagnetic bubble. It would seem to be a reasonable assumption , since any investment which took this level of secrecy , must also be worth not just the secret keeping , but plenty of your tax dollars also .
Heres hoping this is a leap forward, and not just a drunken stumble.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What in the world? Why don't they know when it's coming back? Did they not do any calculations just because that would mean that someone could know what they were up to? Did they have to keep this a secret from themselves?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

I think that particular part of the story is highly interesting. I have a question . Is this some form of unmaned vehicle ? Or are they suggesting we believe that some poor airforce dude has been sent up on an open ended mission ? Surely SOMEONE knows when its comming back ? I highly doubt that this craft was sent out on a trajectory which hadnt been very carefuly planned , and vetted by all sorts off the highest of boffins.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
An unmanned ship out in space that they secretly launched with unclear mission objectives and they don't know it's return time?

1. It will be used for military uses against a possible threat as in Iran or another country.

2. It will go out to get a closer look at something like the moons of Mars.

3. They know about Nibiru. This thing is flying to it right now. So of course they wouldn't want to panic the entire human race by making it known that they are sending something to intercept an approaching extra-solar planetary body.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicious Jones
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I believe so...

At only 29 feet long, the X-37B is roughly one fourth the size of the space shuttle. It’s onboard batteries and solar arrays (pictured at left from it’s NASA days) can keep it operating for up to nine months according to the Air Force.

question... how many nukes can it hold?

Why does it have to have nukes and nothing more ahh DESTRUCTIVE.

ok BIG CONSPIRACY THOUGHT, WHAT IF ITS FOR NEMISIS

[edit on 4/23/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
What in the world? Why don't they know when it's coming back? Did they not do any calculations just because that would mean that someone could know what they were up to? Did they have to keep this a secret from themselves?

The more I think about it the more humorous it is. So we've spent untold fortunes developing this new craft, oh yes its amazing we're testing it right now. What? No, I'm sorry... we actually don't know when its returning... someone call George this seems like it could have been important, George has no idea either huh. You know we'll have to get back to you on that one.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The return may not be related to a date but a task that is to be accomplished. Given the size, I suspect that it may be a recon test platform. More maneuverable than a satellite, it could be a replacement for Blackbird/Aurora.
It could also be a configuration/propulsion test mule for a future version of the shuttle or the space fighter. Much to the dismay of the USAF, unmanned fighters, flown by a generation of PC gamers, may well be the future. The country with the best gamers and the fastest, most secure C&C links will have the advantage.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm feeling a strange and compelling urge to watch Armageddon...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
They have been doing this since the late 50's most likely.

I think one of the earlier models was the Dynosaur. Gazrok would know probably.

I know they "pretend" that these old school models never operated and were simply "artist concepts", but that is bunk.

They had to have at least been testing prototypes. Otherwise whats the point of making blueprints for spaceships for 60years and not testing any of them out??

Heres how I view it.

They BETTER have a secret space program!

Otherwise they are WASTING all of our taxpayer money on garbage!!

So I refuse to think I live in a world devoid of progress and advancement. Instead I will consider that this progress and advancement DID occur, but was covered up in secrecy BECAUSE it was "too much progress too fast".

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Not really that secret if you ask me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join