It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Korea Seizes S.Korean Assets, Warns Of War

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
reply to post by Jazzyguy

For seekers of truth only one question remains - who is making benefit?

I don't think in terms of countries but in factions, elite factions to be precise.
And their powers are dynamics, they may control one country right now but may lose it the next. Or an economy sector, or political and military influence in a country.

I believe there's a faction who do want a destablize korean peninsula. Since there's only one dominant faction in china and north korea, which is the communist party, it's a lot easier to guess whether this whole thing comes from china and north korea or not. I don't think it's china, it might be north korea, or an elite faction from the US (not the neocons).

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
North Korea has nothing to lose with a war and South Korea has nothing to gain. A war isn't likely. The north just wants more concessions and they have little chance of getting it unless they present themselves as dangerous to the whole world.

After, all, their ace in the hole is nukes.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Aliensun]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hmm, sounds like NK is being a bully again. But yet both countries and the US are always bullying eachother arround.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
i for one think south korea is the bully here. some will say what about the ship that sunk? well, they probably pissed someone off.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
Not being funny but if I was a leader (President of US, Priminister of UK etc.) then I would be on the phone to little Kimmy and ask him what the f*** he is playing at!

They must have a phone number for each countries leader and I would be curious to ask him the question.

What do you think his response would be ???

Something like " Arrghhh President Obama... veddy good, I dahh veddy veddy pleased you call arrghh called me hahh... so you want to know huhhhh am I veddy serious to make arrgh Korean BBQ of South... arrghh you veddy funny Mister Obama.... my veddy good friend Mister Ahmajjaddiiiee ? are how you bloody say his name?? you no my new BFF from Iranie, he and I think BBQ be veddy veddy good... you like sum Kim Chee with your BBQ, veddy veddy good......

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I really believe North Korea and Iran are linked. On the same day this incident happened the US congress passed sanctions against Iran.

Every time the situation in Iran heats up North Korea seems to get upset.

It's an implicit threat and it's not a good one. That if Iran were to be attacked North Korea might try to capitalise on the situation.

It's a smart move on their part but I don't know how long they can keep this weird sort of diplomacy going.

But it is indeed a threat. Can the US afford to fight both Iran and North Korea and Iraq and Afghanistan and Pakistan at the same time? They'd certainly be incredibly vulnerable to attack by one of the larger powers like Russia or China if they did.

And what of Venezuela?

If the US goes to war again it may very well be in the fight of it's life.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
S.Korea raises warship, finds clues on sinking

South Korea on Saturday raised the front half of a warship that exploded and sank a month ago near a contested sea border with North Korea, finding clues that support growing suspicions Pyongyang attacked the vessel.

"The way a hatch (near where the ship split in two) had been thrown off its hinge indicates there had been a very strong external impact," Yonhap quoted an unidentified military official as saying, adding weight to the torpedo theory.

The two Koreas, technically still at war, have more than 1 million troops near their border. The United States has about 28,000 troops in the South to support its military.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by searchforknowledge

Not being funny but if I was a leader (President of US, Priminister of UK etc.) then I would be on the phone to little Kimmy and ask him what the f*** he is playing at!

They must have a phone number for each countries leader and I would be curious to ask him the question.

Something like " Arrghhh President Obama... veddy good, I dahh veddy veddy pleased you call arrghh called me hahh... so you want to know huhhhh am I veddy serious to make arrgh Korean BBQ of South... arrghh you veddy funny Mister Obama.... my veddy good friend Mister Ahmajjaddiiiee ? are how you bloody say his name?? you no my new BFF from Iranie, he and I think BBQ be veddy veddy good... you like sum Kim Chee with your BBQ, veddy veddy good......

LOLOL, that was just so spot on, it was really funny and I haven't laughed so much for weeks.

Just want to say thank you!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by searchforknowledge

LOLOL, that was just so spot on, it was really funny and I haven't laughed so much for weeks.

Just want to say thank you!

Arrghhhh, sanndshoe, you darrh veddy welcome dah Mickey... glad you arrggh laugh sum much.. Mister Obama hahhh veddy funny, veddy funny man.. but watch soon ahhh, veddy big firework Korean peninsula... me and my BFF ahhh 4'8" Ahmajjiiddee (arrghh bloody hell how you say his name) , we veddy good friends, arrgh same tailor, veddy nice suits, no long sleeves arggh.. are same size ... but both now gottem big stick arrgh..

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

North Korea warns it will use nukes if invaded

North Korea on Saturday warned it was prepared to use nuclear weapons if it was invaded by the United States and South Korea. The official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) carried the remarks by the North’s Joint Chief, General Ri Yong-Ho, during a national meeting on the eve of the birthday of the communist country’s armed forces.

‘The revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK (North Korea) are fully ready to frustrate any provocation of the aggressors at a single blow,’ Ri said. ‘They will mobilise all means including the nuclear deterrent... should the US imperialists and the south Korean puppet warmongers dare intrude into the inviolable sky, land and seas of the DPRK even 0.001mm,’ he said.

He added that ‘a grave situation is now prevailing on the Korean Peninsula’ because of the neighbouring South and its ally the United States, who he said wanted to start a war. The harsh rhetoric comes as tensions between the two Koreas are high over the sinking of a South Korean warship last month near the disputed sea border in the Yellow Sea with a loss of 46 lives.

Seoul has been careful not to point the finger directly at the North over the incident in the Yellow Sea, which has stoked already tense ties, and Pyongyang has denied it was to blame. The tensions prompted US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to say she hoped there would be ‘no miscalculation’ that could spark a new war between the Koreas.

www.khaleejtimes.com.../international/2010/April/international_April1326.xml§ion=international

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
nothing to be alarmed about here folks.

Its just that time of the month for N. Korea. Don't worry - in about 5 days, they'll realize what asses they made of themselves. They'll never offer an apology, because, well, they don't think logically, they think with their emotions....but at least they'll shut their mouths and be quiet again for another 28 days.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

President Lee Myung-bak's administration is agonising over whether military retaliation should be part of a "proportionate" response to the suspected attack, with Mr Lee telling war veterans this week: "We will take stern actions, not just words.

Time for some North Korean doom...

South Korea to act over warships sinking

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

You wouldn't care if you got a draft notice to fight for South Korea?!!
How many of you on this thread have actually lived in South Korea? I have - I know what I'm talking about.

Ask anybody (military/businessperson/teacher etc)who's a foreigner and works or has worked in Korea what they think of the ultra nationalism of South Korea. It's not that different from the wacky ultra nationalism going on in the North. South Korea at the best of times is a xenophobic place.

They had military dictators after the Korean War and these rulers re-wrote history to center it in South Korea's 'importance to the world and superiority to the world'. Most of the stuff around in school texts for example dates from that obnoxious period and repeats the lies except in a little more sophisticated way. Didn't you know - Korea invented just about everything?

Do you really think South Koreans know any Korean War history apart from those who lived through it? Most Sth Koreans who are not in those generations might as well be North Korean for their ignorance about it all and anti US/western feelings.

Regardless of the superpower politics going on around the Korean War, it was basically a civil war and the violence of left leaning Koreans against centrists and right leaning Koreans in what is now South Korea was damned brutal and a very dark chapter. Do most Sth Koreans know that?Nope. All they know is they blame the US for just about everything.

Our boys and Canadian/British/Australian boys died so that South Koreans now can consume cellphones and all other technology, live for shallow pop culture and K hiphop directly plagiarised from the west, ape western trends without giving them credit and run up debt to do all this, all the while hating on western countries.

A hell of a lot of foreigners who live in Korea or did are saying we should pull the military out. The US military and foreigners in general have been targeted with abuse and violence (including cases of murder) at various times over the past 10 years and up to relatively recently when Sth Koreans wanted to do what their country has always done way back in the day and hide away from the world in ignorance. Korea always deserved its name of the Hermit Kingdom.

South Koreans rioting and attacking foreigners because of mad cow disease in a minor minority of carcasses a few years back was a sickening episode of just how inwards looking a lot of them are just like their brothers and sisters up North.

When a US base was going to be moved to a certain town the mayor and assorted representatives watched and applauded while Koreans pulled a pig literally to pieces and then stabbed it to represent how they felt about the US move. Some US military don't feel confident about South Korean military really fighting the NOrth in the event of an invasion.

Why? According to the South Koreans they only owe loyalty to the 'pure blooded Korean race'. The term is actually in their current constitution. Many foreigners believe that the South Korean military would turn on the US and allies if the North invaded.

The media in South Korea get off on running anti English teacher and military stories, all the while trying to get more tourists.
You really think South Koreans are that different from North Koreans? They share the same poisonous xenophobia and delusional nationalism. In one way we're lucky China has such a grip on North Korea because the last thing we need is a united Korea.

That would be a nightmare especially as both Koreas have delusions that they once controlled China, and currently are manifesting their delusions in other ways by trying to get the Sea of Japan renamed and are obsessed with a couple of rocks they call Dokdo which the Japanese call Takeshima. A united Korea would be a threat to regional stability.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This sounds scary and all but i dont think the US or SK is threatening to invade NK. So whats the big deal here? The MSM isnt even picking up on any of this. Just more NK rhetoric nothing to see here.

North Korea on Saturday warned it was prepared to use nuclear weapons if it was invaded by the United States and South Korea. The official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) carried the remarks by the North’s Joint Chief, General Ri Yong-Ho, during a national meeting on the eve of the birthday of the communist country’s armed forces.

‘The revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK (North Korea) are fully ready to frustrate any provocation of the aggressors at a single blow,’ Ri said. ‘They will mobilise all means including the nuclear deterrent... should the US imperialists and the south Korean puppet warmongers dare intrude into the inviolable sky, land and seas of the DPRK even 0.001mm,’ he said.

He added that ‘a grave situation is now prevailing on the Korean Peninsula’ because of the neighbouring South and its ally the United States, who he said wanted to start a war. The harsh rhetoric comes as tensions between the two Koreas are high over the sinking of a South Korean warship last month near the disputed sea border in the Yellow Sea with a loss of 46 lives.

Seoul has been careful not to point the finger directly at the North over the incident in the Yellow Sea, which has stoked already tense ties, and Pyongyang has denied it was to blame. The tensions prompted US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to say she hoped there would be ‘no miscalculation’ that could spark a new war between the Koreas.

www.khaleejtimes.com.../international/2010/April/international_April1326.xml§ion=international

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This sounds scary and all but i dont think the US or SK is threatening to invade NK. So whats the big deal here? The MSM isnt even picking up on any of this. Just more NK rhetoric nothing to see here.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dontbelievehype

You really gave more to this discussion, sir. Nationalist ideas of SK ideology doesnt really get much attention here, but as you said - you know what you are talking about, gives you some respect.

What I would like to ask from you is about attitude of revenge - what is your opinion that SK people will want that, if it also means possible war wit NK... Do you think that SK is peoples are ready to go all out war to revenge this sinking of their Navy vessel?

You told also about their school books... Is common people always ready to next figt, or is war in their minds already ended?

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
No, I don't think war will come from the Sth Koreans themselves. They don't want to move against North Korea no matter how aggressive they are up there because they are fellow Koreans. Shockingly, that places Sth Koreans more on the side of the North in theory.

The Sth Korean army also lacks the will to engage in a real war with North Korea. As US soldiers there will tell you, if it wasn't for us there Sth Korea would be easy pickings. They have an army that lacks will and there's the underlying resentment about the North-South division that makes them ambivalent.

I have had long conversations with US military posted in Sth Korea and their attitude was 'Screw South Korea - if they have so much hatred and resentment then leave them to the tender mercies of their Northern brethren'. This won't happen - yet. Foreigners in Sth Korea don't take any joy in the prospect of a sea of fire and so many deaths but what can you do if the country you're based in as the only thing preventing a North Korean invasion has this ultra nationalistic/xenophobic mentality that differs in degree from the wackos up North?

Active hatred comes mostly from middle aged men, resentment from young men is common and Sth Korean politicians encourage all sorts of nationalistic myths which make the lives of the military and other foreigners in Sth Korea harder.

Schoolkids exhibit sheer ignorance about Korean and world history - it's like a timewarp from Nazi Germany in a way. Pure blood, evil foreigners whose purpose in history was to invade Korea and destroy the Korean way of life which of course was the most advanced in the world etc etc. Sth Koreans honestly have no idea that European and surrounding countries were subjected to continuous invasions for innumerable centuries.

They have a victim mentality, and some of it springs from the fact that they think the world should look upon the Japanese colonisation as a Korean holocaust. No joke - you'll find the comparison in their mainstream media at times and uttered by politicians of the 'mainstream'.

While the young/younger generation are shallow and obsessed with materialism and the good life of consumption (while not actually making the connection in their minds that this all comes from the foreign influences that are apparently so terrible) ultra nationalism and xenophobia thrive on lack of debate in the media and lack of correct information in school textbooks.

Much as I found any no. of nice Sth Koreans, their society is easily inflamed into xenophobia and anti foreigner hysteria. And you cannot hold a discussion with them except for with a relative few sophisticated Koreans who are usually academics that can look critically at the country's persecution complex.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well Korea had it tough for a long time... Thanks to China and Japan.

My guess is that they would like to be united, no foreigners controlling them and assert their own identity and nation.

Basically like any population out there... For example, americans like to think of themselves as ``America``, aka united... no foreign control over their politics... that's why lots of people are pissed that Israel seems to have lots of control over US politics... and as most countries, they don't want to be subjected to a ``North American Union or a world government where they would lose their identity and nation.

Koreans are like any nation on earth, they want Korea for them, ruled by them and assert their korean history and identity freely.

Since they have been under foreign rule for all those decades and now controlled and influenced by western culture, there's a valid reason why a bunch of them hate foreigners...they are tired of it.

Or maybe I'm completely off..

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
So what is the "new" news here? I havent really seen anything but the same ole NK versus SK stuff from posters on here. What is really going on?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
So what is the "new" news here? I havent really seen anything but the same ole NK versus SK stuff from posters on here. What is really going on?

Nothing new at all, the same old rhetoric.... that has been going on for over 50 years, postulating of positions..

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join