It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPIRALS, everywhere in the ancient world why ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Hey guys this is my first thread at ATS don't flame me to hard. Now at the start Im going to post various theories of what people think they are and some of the different interpretations, then il post some pics and more info and you can make your own minds up (and no this isn't a Norway spiral/spiral thread)

Spirals appear throughout the world, in widely separate places and from very early on, and most often in contexts that suggest a religious meaning of type or is it something completely different.

the Egyptologist Erik Hornung discusses the two conceptions of time expressed by the words “neheh” and “djet” which have been variously interpreted as cyclical time versus its linear appearance, or as its dynamic flow compared to its static duration, and as its continuity as opposed to its discontinuity.

Similarly there is also the theory that they could very well represent time and how it works by indication of the spiral using the theory that time repeats itself over and over again in smaller and smaller time frames which is also talked about by Terence McKenna and many other people.

if this link doesn't work use this www.youtube.com...
This is a good watch and when u understand what he is saying and apply it to the spirals it may make sense.

The jury is still out on these proposed distinctions since all its qualified jurors were mummified long ago, but whatever the various exact meanings and forms of time may have been to the many people concerned, the time snakes encompassed them all.

The spiral in Colombian petroglyphs in many cases, may symbolize a shaman, his activities, or other person, in a trance state, or in heavy, serious concentration during a sacred ritual or ceremony. It probably was also used as a practical device at some sites to indicate the time of a winter or summer solstice ceremony incorporating sunrise shadows. When used to represent an animal such as a serpent, or part of an animal, such as the tail of a monkey, the spiral may have indicated a shamanic spirit helper or the shaman himself transformed into that animal. A variation of the spiral motif with "legs" may also be related to shamanistic healing ceremonies and ceremonial activities involving.

Also just to note when taking Ayahuasca the main animal of wisdom in that reality is the snake according to shamans.

Ok so ill now show some pics and there locations to show that this symbol has been used throughout the world and by many different cultures. The spirals come in many forms usually either a single double or triple spirals.

Sardinia, Italian island

The Tarxien in Malta

Australia Alice springs and Tasmania

Scotland

Cont next post

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Norway/Scandinavia

France

Greece/Minoan

Ireland

Africa

America north/south

There is many many many more around the world and i can continue to post them from everywhere but i wanna breach another subject about the spirals and thier apparent use in ancient calendars and solstice/equinox markers.
Some sites come to mind in regaurds to this such as newgrange and many more but im going to dicuss only 1 because i dont have unlimited time.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
THE ANASAZI SOLAR OBSERVITORY

The most famous American "sun spiral" was discovered by Anna Sofaer in 1977 near the entrance of Chaco Canyon at Fajada Butte. It was engraved on the cliff face and then covered over with three large slabs of stone, which were placed so that they combined to produce the now famous 'solar-dagger' of sunlight, which passes through the centre of the spiral each summer-solstice.
The astronomy practiced by Native Americans is impossible to summarize in one explanation, since the tribes had such diverse traditions and legends. The impressive aspect of their astronomy lies in the fact that many of the tribes were hunters and gatherers. This contrasts sharply with the other ancient cultures studied here, which developed the practice of astronomy after becoming equipped with the technology of agriculture.

The Anasazi of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico

The Anasazi were a mysterious people who lived in Arizona and New Mexico about a thousand years ago (apparently). They built high cliff dwellings, the ruins of which remain today. Little is known about their way of life, but several tantalizing clues were left in the form of cave art. A recently discovered site called Penasco Blanco shows a depiction on a cave wall of what must be a supernova explosion (see picture below). The relative orientations of the crescent moon and the star make it very likely that this is a recording of the supernova which created the Crab Nebula in 1054 A.D. This supernova, which would have been about five times brighter than Venus for about three weeks, was also recorded by Chinese astronomers. Another very interesting site is called the Anasazi sun dagger. It is a spiral design traced into a cave wall, and during midsummer, midwinter, and the equinoxes it is perfectly bisected or surrounded by daggers of sunlight which enter the specially placed windows. The Anasazi also built a solar observatory called Hovenweep Castle at Four Corners. All of this evidence points to the fact that the Anasazi were quite experienced sky-watchers, as are their probable descendents, the Pueblo Indians.

all the detailed information about this can be found here www.solsticeproject.org...

CROP CIRCLES
One of the most Intriguing things about the spirals is the recent wave of crop circles that have sprung up with the exact designs that the ancients use to use. exactly what the implication's of this is ill leave to you.
URL=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/fortnelsonnrportchester.jpg/]
[/URL]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
CONCLUSION
Well everyone will have their own opinion about this subject and you are all entitled to your opinion as no one really knows for sure what the exact deal is with these spirals all over the world are.

To me the spirals may be an indication of a world wide society thousands of years ago or at least some kind of world wide commonly known knowledge that we may have been forgotten in todays society. There is just to may of the exact same things all around the world to rule it out, including the pyramids and the use of massive megalithic stone blocks unable to be even lifted to this day and unable to be cut with the supposed tools they had in their time (if we even have the times right which we may not).

It seems we may never know what actually happened back then, but i assume we all would love to know and maybe one day someone will figure it all out. Untill then folks keep researching and deny ignorance.

ps. if you liked my presentation be on the look out for more that i plan to do in the future including ancient observatory and another about why stones were used to build almost exclusively in ancient times.

pps. as this is my first thread on ats if you have any suggestions that will help me in the future with set out and content please U2U me ... thanks

Also thanks to Kiwifoot from the ATS forums who did give me a little help and inspiration
i recommend his threads also.

Information/links/references
www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...
www.spirasolaris.ca...
www.culture.gouv.fr...
www.stonepages.com...
rupestreweb.tripod.com...
www.scienceviews.com...

[edit on 23-4-2010 by King Loki]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Hi King Loki,

The spirals from Sardinia are just like the ones carved on the tomb at Newgrange in Ireland. There is also a triple spiral motif carved on a rock outside the entrance. (EDIT: I see you've covered that one
)

I had always thought that these spirals represented the true nature of time. Cyclical, not linear as we interpret it. Another thought I had was that they are like the DNA double helix and a spiral galaxy. I think this is interesting when you consider that the elements that we consist of originated in dieing, exploding stars. There are so many other examples of spirals in nature and I think the carvings represent the divine creative energy, starting from one point and spiralling outwards. The people who carved the spirals must have had somekind of knowledge of this creative force.

It seems that many others have come to these conclusions also but I never knew that until today. Maybe it's knowledge that we all have deep down somewhere.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by DrHammondStoat]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Very cool, Loki. Plz post more images if you have them. I will add this:

Carl Jung statated that the spiral represents the progress of the development of the soul. The idea is that as we develop in life, we constantly go round and round, experiencing similar and similar things. However, the spiral shows that as we go through these loops, we can ascend[/] or descend.

The spiral represents transcendence, according to him, and that works for me. You see a similar concept in DNA.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Good job on your first thread!

Spirals, along with concentric circles have always fascinated me. They can represent just about every aspect of anything. From solar systems, to atoms, the meanings are truly endless.

I seriously can sometimes get hypnotized staring at these things. Good stuff.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
ok ill post up a few more

Locust Grove, Ohio

more from the THE ANASAZI SOLAR OBSERVITORY

New Zealand

Portugal

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The only response to your question, "Spirals, everywhere in the ancient world, why?" would be another question:

Spirals, everywhere in nature, WHY?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by King Loki
To me the spirals may be an indication of a world wide society thousands of years ago or at least some kind of world wide commonly known knowledge that we may have been forgotten in todays society.

Nice. Especially the Ohio one. Shame it's not clearer / bigger.

IMO symbols like this are not the result of a common worldwide culture, but the result of common psychological / spiritual processes that exist in all people. The might be said of myths of a great flood. Look forward to your thread on megaliths.

Please be aware that good threads often get buried under the rubbish on these boards, so don't be shy to bump it.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ancient Altered States

The seven most common categories strike a familiar chord: grids, parallel lines, dots, zigzags, nested curves, meanders, and spirals.

Entoptic means within the eye. It’s believed that these geometric patterns derive from the optic system itself. In some instances, says Whitley, you’re basically seeing what’s in your eyeball. Retinal blood vessels and floaters—the faint squiggly lines that meander across the vision field—may be the anatomic inspiration for dots and meandering line entoptics. Concentric circles, spirals, and grids are probably generated by neurons firing in the visual cortex and the retina.

So here it is considered that the shapes are not what we externally, but what we envision in our own minds.

It's a basic and simple shape that is seen in animals and plants, a rug, or a rope stored on a ship's deck.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

ill make it bigger and clearer for you

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VendettaBeretta

I was thinking that too, that they are found all over in nature. The Fibonacci sequence...

Fibonacci sequence in nature IMAGES

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

Spirals have more to do with artistic impressions than anything else. They appear throughout nature and do look great. Many of the ancients would adorn items with spirals for artistic reasons mainly.

For crop circles, spirals are easy to make using the simplest of tools.

Great first thread, hope to see more from you.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
My Friend, well done, especially for a first thread!! I agree with you, and think it's an inspired topic ( I wish I'd thought of it myself!!) for the forum

I did a thread a while ago about a study of cave paintings that were commonly found in France, and you guessed it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52d041a57ddd.png[/atsimg]

I beleive some of the Aboriginal pictographs may pre-date that by several thousand years though, but it gives you an idea about how long they've been around!

My belief (mine only) is that the spirals were initially either doodles (have you ever doodled on a pad and found yourself doing a spiral, they're hypnotic!) that eventually began to symbolise something, either a male artist, or a territory marker, or something like that. Like you said in your thread, it's the fact that we don't know for sure that makes it so cool!! One theory is as good as the next.

But there has to be something there, there's too much evidence for it to be a coincidence!

Originally posted by King Loki

ps. if you liked my presentation be on the look out for more that i plan to do in the future including ancient observatory and another about why stones were used to build almost exclusively in ancient times.

One bit of advice....never promise the wolves that there's more on the way!! l
You'll have to deliver now!!!

Seriously though great first thread! If you want to jazz it up a bit check out this awesome thread;

A guide to BB code on ATS by loam, may give you ideas for titles, colours and stuff, I found it invaluable (sorry I didn't think to give it to you before!! )

Starred and Flagged mate, well done!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
In the American Southwest it is said that spirals are symbols for water. I would imagine that the doodle becomes more than a fun drawing, but takes on meaning. Doodling is dirt is easy, but petroglyphs are harder to make. I think by the time it gets to the point of chipping the symbol into rock it has meaning other than having fun the Flintstones way.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
More proof of an acient civilization that encompassed the whole planet, maybe the universe? Love the thread.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

Thank you very much for this thread,I am trying to teach my kids about Fibonacci sequences in nature, they asked me about Spirals in nature and why you do see them everywhere in ancient art so I came on (as I quite often do when they ask me questions A.T.S. can probably answer better than me !!) to see if I could find anything.

You even supplied pictures !!

Thank you again and long may your thread continue,I'll go and check out the other links you supplied.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Interesting stuff to be sure, though I am not so convinced by any particular theory. Interestingly enough, there are a lot of spiral galaxies out there in the universe, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Great post, I hope someday we will get it all figured out!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
very good i am also new here and i have a theory. The spirals appear everywhere on walls or whtever, but a good portion of them have strange looking creatures standing next to them. Have you heard and seen the about the spiral in Norway. Well i believe that these spirals also appeared long ago and ET's or UFOs would come out of these. Like a wormhole of sorts. Like i said its just a theory, but if you think about it it really is amazing. Obama and the whitehouse are disclosing ufos and ets, it ws on CNN and i was mindboggled at the event. He said himself that they are real and we need to be a more peaceful and not be the way we used to be. Also what started the disclosure was NASA had images of the sun with large objects floating around it. It startled NASA. Plus what can be that close to the sun without burning up. After that Obama started on the disclosure and is trying to convince the rest of the government to let him do it. I have alot of information on this matter if you want to hear more say something in the comments.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by sifaytix]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join