It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British family sparks race case: 'We don't want to be served by a black p

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by endisnighe

Ummm this family were British and most likely had no knowledge of your welfare system. And that seems pretty irrelevant as this black guy was WORKING, not at the local welfare office.

So you are saying that blaming all the problems of a society on one or two ethnic groups such as the 'Niggers' or 'Spics' is not racism?

I agree there are plenty of examples of false accusations of racism, but this is not one of them. Besides that does not shield from the fact that plenty of it still exists.

The Ku Klux Clan still exists in the United States. Was it created by the Government?

I totally agree! This is definitetly a case of RACISM. Ku Klux Clan was basically started by the southerners after the Civil War, in order to continue to oppress the African Americans, keep them from voting, and advocating segregation. (Jim Crow laws)

On the article itself...Its funny, I wanted to post this same article, but I'm a new member, and you have to accumlate a certain amount of posts before doing so. I'm glad someone posted it! Its a sad case. Sad on the part of the family who made such requests, and sad because of the hotel that honored these preposterous requests. Racism is pure ignorance. People fail to realize that the idea of race is socially constructed...If they didn't want to encounter any one of color, or anyone with an accent...I thinking that they should have stayed home.

I hope that they never decide to go to Egypt!

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Historymajor]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Looks like I will be the dissenting opinion in favor of personal rights. The Morgan family has the right to request the service they purchase conform to their standards. Their request is not against the law.

Y'all do know the black waiter is suing for damages, I guess he feels he hit the American Jackpot of suing for your money.

I fail to see litigatable damages.

I am sure he was not denied work that day just he got other guests to serve.

So what if the family did not like blacks or foreigners. They have that right.

Until I can see how this black man had a right stomped I will continue to support the rights of the Morgan family to receive a service they are paying for that suits their families needs. The Morgans did not discriminate they requested paid service to their standards and the business accommodated.

All I see here is another black chip on the shoulder thinking they found an easy way to retire.

Why are the Morgans rights less valuable in this situation? They did nothing wrong.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Why? In general I am attracted "mostly" to young white athletic girls. I "prefer" them for some reason. Now, I have dated many black girls, that I found attractive as well. I have also dated Asian girls and American Indian girls, etc. I did not "choose" who I was attracted to anymore than homosexuals choose to be homosexual.

So, is that racist of me? I don't "exclude" anybody, but I do have preferences.

Also, it is a very apparent fact that we are not all born the same. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people of similar interests and backgrounds preferring to hang around one another. For me, I enjoy immersing myself in other cultures, but not everyone is that way.

There are differences in physicality, appearance, hair, health-related ailments, even size and stature. There are differences in culture and upbringing and history.

I was thoroughly offended many times when my two children were born in this town. The workers at the hospital found it necessary to continually tell me that "little white boys seem to have more trouble with...." this and that. The first time it was interesting, the second time it was annoying, and the next 20 times were flat out offensive!

We are different, like it or not, and we are stupid if we don't realize it and embrace and admit it.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Ask yourself this..
Why arent white people allowed in black areas in there own country?
Why is there a black police association?
Why can black people get away with being racist?

If it was a black person refusing to be served by a white waiter nobody would care.

That absurd! If it was a black family refusing to be served by a white person upon check-in, please believe me, that black person would have not been able to even check into that hotel, and they probably would have banded them from checking in at any Ritz for that matter. WHY??? Because the majority of the management is mostly likely white...(obviously to accomdate these people and honor their requests) so they would have seen such request from a black family and turned them away.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I wish their meal was prepared by someone like Gareth Blackstock.

It shows again that for profit racism is an option, let's hope they lose some customers because of this instead of gain them.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Romans 10:9

It IS evil, and it IS a big f'in deal. No one with the screen name you have, has any business talking this way , its not a very christian thing to do .
Its absolutely abhorant that there are still people who think its perfectly normal to want to only spend time with, interact with , or be served by members of thier own race. We are human first, and everything else is irrelavent . Its not a choice as to wether you understand this or not. You do not have a choice. Either you , and people like you accept that YOU are blasted well wrong, or watch as the entire planet burns and comes ever closer to hell under the weight of your ignorance.

Stereotypes don't create themselves Einstein.

I have spent my fair share of time immersed in other races. For 2 years i was the only white dude in a auto-lube shop with 8 black dudes.
My unbiased observation during that 2 years was that if you didn't hide your lunch, it was gone when it was time to eat.
When your back was turned, 90% of the incoming cars would be put in line behind my bay at the shop.
When customers came in, the other guys wouldn't hardly even look at them, leaving me to run over and welcome them in and get their information.
Work started at 8am...guess who was the only guy there until 9 or 10am everyday?
Man, i've had ALOT of jobs, with ALOT of people. From commercial fishing captain in Alaska working with Native American indians, to roofing houses on the border of Texas/Mexico with illegal immigrants, to almost all black construction jobs, to pipefitting with old, white a$$hole union workers, etc., etc.
We are all human, and there are a$$holes from every race....BUT, out of all the jobs and interactions i have had in my crazy life, i learned something.
Mexicans can work their asses off, and usually won't steal from someone their regard as a friend or co-worker.
Asians are hard workers and very respectable and punctual.
Native Americans are courageous, crazy and relaxed...but may steal some of your stuff if it's gawdy enough.
Whites are usually hard working, pretty respectable, and punctual.
Blacks are lazy, will steal your lunch or anything that interest them, and are very disrespectful.
This is with regards to my life. I have lived around, went to school with, and worked with all of the above and thats my observations.
It is what it is and i don't apologize for it....it's true.
So say what you will, but maybe the family in the article had some same life observations.....or maybe they were old, white a$$holes...but either way it's THEIR choice and i respect it, and couldn't care less.

And BTW, i could be served by ANY race and not care.......but i would PREFER a white, mexican, or asian waiter based on my experiences.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I agree there are plenty of examples of false accusations of racism, but this is not one of them. Besides that does not shield from the fact that plenty of it still exists.

The Ku Klux Clan still exists in the United States. Was it created by the Government?

I totally agree! This is definitetly a case of RACISM. Ku Klux Clan was basically started by the southerners after the Civil War, in order to continue to oppress the African Americans, keep them from voting, and advocating segregation. (Jim Crow laws)

On the article itself...Its funny, I wanted to post this same article, but I'm a new member, and you have to accumlate a certain amount of posts before doing so. I'm glad someone posted it! Its a sad case. Sad on the part of the family who made such requests, and sad because of the hotel that honored these preposterous requests. Racism is pure ignorance. People fail to realize that the idea of race is socially constructed...If they didn't want to encounter any one of color, or anyone with an accent...I thinking that they should have stayed home.

I hope that they never decide to go to Egypt!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hmmm....I wonder if they knew that staff in the back who was cooking of their delightful meal were probably black, hispanic, white...or even Indian? This is totally ridiculous...I guess money can change a man! I hope the hotel learns their lesson...and the people mentally time travel to the current time.

The next time I make a reservation, I'm going to request all women servers...and they must all look like Monica Belluci, Halle Berry, Eva Mendez, and Cameron Diaz...if there is a chick over 130 lbs...I will sue!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

And BTW, i could be served by ANY race and not care.......but i would PREFER a white, mexican, or asian waiter based on my experiences.

I disagree. Chinese people are the most racist people on this Earth. I once made the mistake of taking a Chinese grad student to a Chinese restaurant, and he spent the whole time belittling the staff because they were a lower status of Chinese than he was.

I have also been around many Chinese students at the University, and they are elitist a**holes.

Japanese and Koreans are quite a bit better though.

I totally agree with your assessment of hard-working Mexicans and Native Americans, but I don't share your experience with black people. I have never seen any significant difference in theft or tardiness from a black employee. I have seen plenty of it, but only in equal proportion to the white employees. Again, I think this is a "class" issue, not a race one. In an autoshop environment you often get lower class people from both races, and you see similar problems from both. In that same environment, I have had many certified mechanics, making very good money and supporting very Middle Class families, and they have never given me any problems, regardless of race.

There is a very, very obvious difference in Customer Service, general tact, and politeness from white people to black. There are some great black folks, but in general almost all the white cashiers/waiters are polite, but that is not the case with the black ones. I don't know if it is a cultural misunderstanding, or a lack of respect for their job. It seems that some black folks are looking to get fired, or don't believe that it will happen, while the white folks are trying hard to appease their boss. Ironic huh?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Star for the putting the knife and gun away.

Ever been to St. Louis? Go to the I 70 bridge and cross into Illinois. Go south on 3 and you will be passing through a huge petrochemical area. Pops and I think it was the Oz are two night clubs open all the time, except for a short shutdown on Sunday morn.

Pops was the cowboy joint with metal detectors. Oz was the jazz and rock place with the metal detectors.

St. Louis would close their bars at two and both places would fill up. Some crazy evenings spent at both locations. Still laughing, the first time I went I had to go back to the truck.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

It IS evil, and it IS a big f'in deal. No one with the screen name you have, has any business talking this way , its not a very christian thing to do .
Its absolutely abhorant that there are still people who think its perfectly normal to want to only spend time with, interact with , or be served by members of thier own race. We are human first, and everything else is irrelavent . Its not a choice as to wether you understand this or not. You do not have a choice. Either you , and people like you accept that YOU are blasted well wrong, or watch as the entire planet burns and comes ever closer to hell under the weight of your ignorance.

Ugg, get of your high-horse and come back to reality. You're also trying to mix two very different things together - wanting to spend time and interact with others from one's own race is NOT racist....it's perfectly normal. Not wanting to be served by another race in a hotel is a different matter completely.

We're NOT all the same, and we shouldn't feel bad about preferring the company of one's own race over another. However, we should be respectful and tolerant of other races. The family in this story clearly crossed that line.

Personally I think the world would be an incredibly dull place if we were all just "humans" and nothing else!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Hi End!

I still have your quote in my signature.

I was once going through East St. Louis (don't remember if I was on I-70 or I-44) just about to cross the river. I was driving a convertible Mustang and I had a doorag on. I saw a couch flip over the wall next to the interstate. 2 guys came over after it, ran it across the interstate and threw it over the next wall! I pulled over, put the top up, and took off my doorag!

I am from near Joplin, MO. I used to spend a lot of time down near the Riverboats in St Louis, but I've never been to those two clubs you mention. I spent the majority of my "big city" time in KC, Tulsa, and Dallas, before I moved to Florida.

When I moved to Florida and met some people that had grown up in Miami, I was amazed that "riots" in their schools were commonplace? One friend of mine, and his girlfriend once described a riot to me, where all the Hispanics were battling each other? The Cubans vs. everyone else? My friend was watching from a higher floor when he got blindsided by something? We don't have those types of problems in the schools in Missouri. Are you familiar with St. Louis Sumner or Sumter? We used to play them in football in the State Championship every year. If there were ever a riot in a Missouri school, I would expect it to be at that one!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
All I can say is... HILARIOUS!!!!

Let's face it, there are racists in every race. Whatever.
It ain't gonna change. But, it seems to have gotten funnier.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Japanese and Koreans are quite a bit better though.

Depends. Japanese and Koreans hate each other. Some years ago i read a blog about a canadian who went to South Korea as a english teacher and he told stories and showed unbelievable pictures. School kids basically learn to hate japan. He made pictures of walls full of pictures kids made all with the same theme "Destroy Japan!"
And i read a lot of times, that children in japan learn all kinds of filthy and racist lies, that chinese and korean people are second class and things like the rape of nanking never happened and so on.

And while japanese are really friendly towards european (I've been there three times) they're really hateful towards other asian people. A japanese and a korean marrying is something that won't happen. Even famous people like the actor Takeshi Kitano go flat out on media and say racist stuff like the marriage thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

.................. what this family did was to show extreme bigotry that is born out of hatred!

Dress it up however you want... it’s wrong!

No they didnt show "extreme bigotry that is born out of hatred " i believe that is purely your (jumped to conclusion) opinion. You obviously have no idea what so ever what was going on in their mind. Silly you

No, its not wrong, its just a little silly but heck, it's entertainment isnt it.

If it were malicious then that would be a different story, but the only evidence of people being obnoxious about it is on this thread.

TBQH if i went for a meal in an American restaurant then i'd expect to be served by Native Americans.

or a dreaded black man if i went to a Rastarant (sorry
)

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Wobbly Anomaly]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Good for you! I have done, and would still do the same thing, however, you deserve the criminal record and so do I. They used a word, we used our fist. I think it was an appropriate and well-deserved response, but you will never convince me that words hurt as much as fists, and you will never convince me that we should outlaw words.

I never said that i shouldn’t have got a criminal record... i know the law... However, you did state that Black people get away with being racist... i told my story to prove that it works both ways!!

If you think that no words should be outlawed then why would you worry about a black person getting away with using racist words??

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

The U.S. population is regularly accused of containing a fair few racists. Having visited several times, i think this is true

You couldn't self-criticise the UK without taking a swipe at the residents of the US could you.

If Americans offend you to that extent, do yourself (and us) a favor and vacation somewhere else.

I've noticed this trend with the British, you don't like Americans but love to vacation here. Hypocrites much?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Thank you for bringing some sense to this thread... Whenever the issue of race comes up on ATS it gets flooded with a vocal minority who think that requesting that you are not served by someone because of skin colour is a perfectly acceptable thing!!

The ignorance of these people amazes me... i just hope, for their sake, they never come to London and make this request!

I have heard some of the most outdated backwards opinions, which i have not heard in a long while...

It’s just a shame some people can’t keep up with progress and accept thinking a bad experience, with some Black guys in a sweat shop for a couple of years, gives you worldwide knowledge of an entire race

My advice to you is to leave this thread... There are some people you just cannot help... I hope their sons and daughters marry black people

The final note i will end on is this... The thing that drive me nuts the most is their inability to just come out clean and admit they are racist!!! Instead they try to change the dynamics of what it means to be racist... “I aint racist, i just don’t want my daughter to marry one” type comments... “its my choice, not racist”

THAT IS BLOODY RACIST!!!!

Man some people are ignorant!!

But i must admit... i can’t help laughing when i read some of the comments... there almost like a well worked piece of satire!!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

endisnigh is right. You guys haven't learned anything from reading ATS at all have you?

1. Money talks.
2. Money gets people out of trouble.
3. Money allows people to be elitist, racist pigs.

I'm not defending their racism, but seriously people, if you have learned any one thing by now reading political news it should be that people with money ARE people with power. And that means they can get away with saying and doing the most appalling things.

Examples: Pat Robertson, Don Imus, Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson

[edit on 23-4-2010 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Since we are only reading the report second hand of what the situation actually entailed, the fact that these individuals HAD mentioned not only Black but the "Foreign Accent" aspect might provide a hint of a clue as to the origins of this discrepancy as well as why they had made the request to begin with.

Just perhaps they had trouble understanding this guy or previous servers with accents ? Who happened to have a Haitian accent ?

Realize that it is a French accent, a Haitian French accent for that matter which combined with American English, also a abomination of the English language.

It Might provide some degree of difficulty in understanding, especially by someone who isn't familiar with it.

I watch the BBC and as an American I sometimes have difficulty understanding the English spoken by some of the commoners.

It has much to do with how we Americans elongate all of our Vowels and the rest of the English speaking world does not.

I speak several languages, in particular, German, French and Spanish.

SO you begin to hear these things. Especially when traveling.

Now, we know what money does to people, it does makes them feel superior to all of us.

Looking at the Ritz, has anyone here on ATS ever eaten there ?

I can see some British uppity types with money who happen to look down on all of us American Colonists as low lifes, best suited to bow and scrape to serve them.

How many of us Americans speak the Proper Queens English for that matter ?

For Example: I don't believe that "Y'all" is even categorized as a word according to Websters Dictionary.

But in the Southern region of the United States, everyone uses it as it is !!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join