It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senator warns NASA budget cuts will help China overtake U.S. in Space!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Congressional opposition to the president’s proposed budget for NASA stiffened on Thursday, as top Republican appropriators accused the White House of attempting to rob the agency of its mission. While President Barack Obama retooled NASA’s spending plan last week in an effort to temper growing congressional opposition, leading Republicans on a Senate Appropriations panel said Thursday that the new proposal still fails to address their concerns.

At the same time, a growing number of Democrats also signaled they remain unsatisfied with the president’s recent revisions, which he debuted during a speech at Kennedy Space Center last week. The fight boils down to how much money is spent on manned spaceflight.

Democrats and Republicans alike said the 2011 budget request would cripple NASA and lead to thousands of lost jobs. The new budget, introduced last week, allows for the completed construction of Orion — a move the administration says will save jobs — but it would still kill the Constellation program.

Source: thehill.com...

Yet another reason why we must hit the ballot boxes in November. We have to stop Obama, if anything for the Space Program. I can't help but believe he is gutting the NASA folks on purpose. Either for the Russians or Chinese-or both. May as well toss India in there too-since they are Russia's new pal.

Looks like this guy will be the rub-it-in-your-face AD.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I totally agree with the OP's sentiment.

Ever since the end of the cold war, the US has lost it's intrest in manned space exploration (IMO).

If we cannot fix the problems on this world, we need to start looking to others.

We could have already been on mars in the 90's if the funding would have been there. We could already be mining asteroids for rare metals and have created private mining corporations by now.

We are lead by the least amongst us, the least visionary -- this is why.

The Earth is screaming "Get it together or GET OFF!" -- and I think we need to explore the idea of moving mankind into space.

Space ... the final frontier ...

We dream up Sci-Fi movies and shows that show us grand vistas of our future, but we never commit financially to making them a reality. Why?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Yes, it seems like we (USA) is all talk anymore, when it comes to Space.

I like to believe that the US is far more advanced in their spacecraft work and do not need the old methods of getting people off the earth.

These last few shuttle missions are more for publicity than actually work. One can help but feel they are up to more. Maybe they are all working together on some mission the general public is not aware of yet.

I just don't know. I wish some of our members with some experience with NASA could chime in.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
obama cutting nasa peaves me off to no end.

china will be there we wont simply as that.

i was doing some reasearch on he3 helium 3 its a clean burning natural occuring element on the moon.

whats he3 have anything to do with this topic.

at the going rate per kilogram he3 goes for around $5,000,000
in my humble opinion thats reason enough to go.

whats he3 it can be used for nuclear fusion generation limitless clean energy.

so much for the mr "green" presidency

new topics

top topics

join