It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about leaving the US and going to another country...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I made a thread already about this topic but I thought I'd make one here as well because the other one is on BTS and is not getting any responses and I desperately need some help from you all ASAP.

Here is the link to my other thread, that should explain what I'm needing help with.

However since this thread would get deleted if I simply just pasted a link to my other thread I will elaborate in this thread as well to you all since this has to do with survival (at least for me it does).

(mods feel free to delete but I'd appreciate it if I could get some help on these forums because people here know what they're talking about and could greatly help me)

OK so basically, what countries can you get a one way plane ticket to if you are a US citizen without getting hassled or sent back to the US because you don't have a return flight home or a visa?

This can be related to the survival forums because in case of a disaster, people may need to flee, and as such, it is my time to do so (if you all remember I had a thread about leaving the country before but this is different, and I have *some* time to plan this but not much so I need help ASAP).

Basically, after searching and searching I have come up with nothing - no lists of countries that allow US citizens to stay with one way tickets, nothing like that at all.

So, where can I fly to with only a one way ticket as a US citizen? I know EU is pretty much out of the picture because it's hard enough to go there with a visa let alone without one. However, I do realize I could buy a round trip set of tickets, and simply not return, but that would be a last resort.

Now I do realize I could head South into Mexico, and go somewhere from there, however I would rather get off this continent if possible, as soon as possible, and for as cheap as I can. Basically, to lay it out simply, I am going to have very little cash, show up wherever I end up going (I will be going no matter what I just haven't decided all the logistics yet), hopefully a touristy place where I can get a job quickly since I speak English perfectly (1st language obviously). I am going to start learning another language as soon as I decide where I'm going, but until then I need to wait.

Now, I understand another option is to go to the UK and claim asylum - I did some research on that, and basically I need to have a reason that I believe my country is not safe, or I feel I will be treated wrong etc. and I actually do have a very good reason on hand I can use if I must do this, but it's not a definite and I could always get shipped back to the US which would be very bad for me.

So, if anyone can PLEASE help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate it! Any alternative ideas to go along with what I need to do I'm open too, so all comments welcome.

As I stated in the other thread, NO I am not a felon trying to escape the US, I just have personal reasons (some of you know what they are but I'd like to stick to the topic at hand here) for why I want to and need to leave the US... for good.

Once again, mods if you feel like you need to delete this please at least allow me to edit this thread so it can stay in these forums because it will get much more of a response here - I'd greatly appreciate it if you can be a bit laid back about this post. Like I said it still could be helpful for survival because if the $hit hits the fan, we all know it will be VERY hard to get to another country so this thread could be helpful for those who may find themselves in that position one day. So let this thread stay around, please!

Thanks ahead of time for those of you who are able to give me some information! By the way I am in the Philadelphia area if that means anything to any of you... or can help you figure out a way for me to get out of the US.

Looking forward to some good replies!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Haiti, most of sub saharan africa and if you can make it in the Bush in the AU nobody will hassel you. But i would keep some money because you will want back pretty quick.
why may i ask do you want to leave?
Best method out is probably by sea you can pay a sailor to take you anywhere you want. The coast guard really focuses on people comming in not so much americans getting out.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Buy a 2 way ticket and just don't return.

Or as Zaiger said, go by sea.

Personally, I would do Australia. As far as countries go, it's pretty isolated in that it's also an island. But it's also a lot more modern then sub sahara Africa.

Pretty much all depends on what your needs are.

Good luck.

Peace

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Do you have a US passport? You will need one. You also need to do a bit of research on where you can go and get work without proper documentation.

As far as travelling goes, you should check out travelling on frieghters. Many freighters will take passengers for a fee and that is a one-way ticket for sure. I don't know much about it, but do know that folks do it.

You might want to check out India. Cheap to live and a lot of westerners there so you won't stick out like a sore thumb like you might other places. Goa is fantastic. Not sure about the papers though

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
Personally, I would do Australia. As far as countries go, it's pretty isolated in that it's also an island. But it's also a lot more modern then sub sahara Africa.

Nah, don't come to Australia. We still ride kangaroo's to school here. The pouch is the perfect place for your books and lunch box... however the kangaroo's constant bouncing is enough to send a man sterile!

We still loose hundreds of lives per year to drop bears... Each time you put out the rubbish bins of a night time, you run the real risk of being mauled... and that's just in the suburbs FFS!

If that wasn't enough to convince you, Queensland refuses to adopt day light savings because the cows want to sleep in!!!

We have 20ft+ Salt Water Crocks that will swallow you whole. Our rivers & creeks are riddled with Bunyips!!! Our oceans swarm with Sharks and Squishy Things. We have the most poisonous Spiders and Snakes in the world... and we even had a band here called Savage Garden that reminded us constantly of how crap it is to live in Australia!

Better off living in an adobe hut somewhere in Africa man!

IRM :shk:

[edit on 23/4/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
/ \
|

You heard him you are not welcome down under. Plus i think Darchinyan swims around the country protecting the boarder.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I buy one way tickets all the time when I work overseas and never have an issue. I don't know the day of my return so I can't get a round trp ticket.

But also I would be looking at a few central or south American countries, and if that was the case I could drive there with a camper and trailer that would give me a hell of a lot more options than just arriving with a bag.

I would also maybe buy a house before hand and rent it out until the SHTF.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
First off, I want to leave because a lot of personal reasons, which I'm not really going to get into other than I'm sick of this country and I always knew, since I was real young, that I'd leave this country... don't ask me why, I just knew.

I do have a US Passport so that isn't an issue.

Australia isn't on my list because like I said I don't want to be stuck on an island, that's why EU would be great. Maybe get a round trip ticket to say France or something then skip to another country and set up there.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to cross boarders in other countries? Like, is it easy, or very strict? I know in the EU if you have an EU Passport you can travel basically anywhere, but let's say I don't have one (because I'm not going to have fake papers, and not to mention we can't talk about that on here so I wont say any more regarding that), could I easily slip by from one country to another without it being a problem?

I am really trying to put this together asap I sort of have a short time frame here, not because I'm being forced, but because I've promised myself I'm going to follow through with this and I am going to get out of this country one way or another. Honestly, if I die trying to survive in some other country, I'm fine with that, just knowing I tried to leave and make it completely on my own will be good enough for me (I know that may sound crazy to some of you but really you have no idea the background story to all of this and I don't want to explain it all).

I could contact someone in NJ since I could easily get to the shore, and grab a boat ride over to the UK or something... but what happens when I get there? Do they not check passengers/paperwork? I'm assuming I'd have to find someone to take me who would be able to sneak me in somehow... with limited money I don't know how well that will work out. It may end up being cheap to get round trip tickets to somewhere in the EU and skip around a bit until I figure out what to do. Basically I'd only bring what I can carry, sell everything I have before I go (which isn't much), and backpack my way around maybe staying at hostels, or working for a place to sleep and some food until I got a more permanent job.

Like I said, I may sound crazy to some of you, but please don't ridicule me on my decision, I have my reasons, and trust me you'd be much more understanding if I were to explain my whole story, but it's just too much to explain and I don't want to talk about some of it...

Anyone else have anything they can add? I was thinking possibly Brazil, I did a lot of research about Brazil but I am unaware of how strict they are on tourists and one way tickets and such... I know I could easily go to say, Costa Rica with a US Passport and find a boat from there or something but I really don't want to go anywhere that is on this continent or near it, I want to go somewhere completely new and experience a different way of living...

No more cell phone, no more computer, just the bare essentials. At least until I got myself up and running in my new home. I could use some time away from technology; spiritually it would do wonders for me.

So, anymore advice? It's be very much appreciated.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I guess it all boils down to what you can afford. EU is not cheap and if you plan on staying there a long time it might be hard to get a work permit. I still say South America is a good choice. It is mostly cheap and much of it is like a mini EU anyway.

If you wanted to get away from it all and live on like 5 bucks a day head to Chilli...

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I buy one way tickets all the time when I work overseas and never have an issue. I don't know the day of my return so I can't get a round trp ticket.

But also I would be looking at a few central or south American countries, and if that was the case I could drive there with a camper and trailer that would give me a hell of a lot more options than just arriving with a bag.

I would also maybe buy a house before hand and rent it out until the SHTF.

I mentioned the whole SHTF so people could possibly use this as a reference later on, but my concern is not that. My concern is having little money, getting out of this country, and making my way some way or another. I don't care if it's hard, I don't care if it's grueling, I want to do this and my mind is set on it. It has been for a while, except this time I'm actually planning it fully and have a rough date set. The absolute MAX I'm going to wait is 3 months. I'm going to sell everything I can, pull whatever money I can together, and leave. It honestly wont be much, especially after I arrive to my destination because that will end up costing me. But I'm OK with this, I may even try and find a job before I leave somehow, I may be able to get some connections made before leaving... I do have some skills that would get me a job pretty easily in certain places, but I admit I'm no professional in any area. This isn't a professional move, that I'm planning out and having a house waiting for me, I'm seriously planning on going wherever and hoping for the best. If I have to make a lean-too in the woods to live in until I get enough money to rent a place, so be it. I'm okay with that.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Buy yourself a round trip ticket and cash the return fare in on the other side. Or look at bargain round trip tickets. When I moved here from Germany, I got a ticket that let me have 5 stopovers in the US and return to Germany. It was 50 Marks less than full fare one way. Of course my first stop was where I wanted to go and I forgot about the rest of them.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

My concern is having little money, getting out of this country,
and making my way some way or another.

Have you considered getting a job on a cruise ship? That way you get paid to to leave the country. And if seveal months down the road something happens, someone comes looking for you, etc. you can simply get off at the next port and move on.

speak English perfectly

Teach english in china?

I don't care if it's hard, I don't care if it's grueling,
I want to do this and my mind is set on it.

You've posted like three of these threads over the past six months. People have already given you lots of answers. What's the problem? Are we not giving sufficiently unpleasant options? Do you need it be miserable for some reason?

If you or anybody else just needs to out of the country in a hurry, either drive across the border in either direction or post on craigslist that you're looking to sail the world and want to be crew on a ship. If you're not morally opposed to killing people, join the military. If you have some cash, buy an old sailboat for $500-$2000 and just leave. If you don't have cash, get a job on a cruise ship or teaching english.

I've known teenagers who took $2000, a passport and a single backpack worth of clothes and traveled across the world for a year.

If you just need to go...then go. There's nothing stopping you.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Alaska. If you don't mind the cold. Easy to disappear.

South America and the Caribbean. If you buy property in some countries it's easier to get citizenship.

Southeast Asia. Philippines. Malaysia. Indonesia. Thailand. Vietnam. Lots of English speakers.

China and South Korea - Quality of life seems kinda low. Not that many English speakers.

Africa - Not recommended. Not stable. High crime rates. You will stick out as a foreigner.

Australia - Has some of the toughest immigration laws. You need documents for everything.

Buying property in a foreign country with American dollars seems like a good idea. Sell everything you have here, buy cheap property over there before moving.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

The other thread I made a while back was due to a different issue, but as I said this has been something I've wanted to do for a while, it's just before I was basically being forced to make a quick decision, this time I can spend a bit of time thinking about exactly what I'd like to do.

And I don't understand why it bothers you so much I made a new thread? I never said the other information wasn't good, but this is a different question if you didn't notice...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4letter
Alaska. If you don't mind the cold. Easy to disappear.

South America and the Caribbean. If you buy property in some countries it's easier to get citizenship.

Southeast Asia. Philippines. Malaysia. Indonesia. Thailand. Vietnam. Lots of English speakers.

China and South Korea - Quality of life seems kinda low. Not that many English speakers.

Africa - Not recommended. Not stable. High crime rates. You will stick out as a foreigner.

Australia - Has some of the toughest immigration laws. You need documents for everything.

Buying property in a foreign country with American dollars seems like a good idea. Sell everything you have here, buy cheap property over there before moving.

This^

Alaska is like another country. Anyone can disappear there.
SE Asia would be ideal...especially if you had some land bought beforehand.
Good luck, cause i think you're gonna have one hell of a time with it.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have thought about this, and to me you want to be somewhere safe from a number of things. I do not like Islands because if a huge tsnunami comes there isn't anything you can do, you just sit there and watch as you are about to be swallowed. Another thing i would look at is if the area has a lot of Earthquakes. Who wants to live somewhere where your house can be destroyed so easily? I live in Virginia and it is about as safe as you can get, because there are NO earthquakes, we rarely ever get hurricanes or tornadoes and if a huge tsunami comes the blue ridge mountains aren't that far away.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Hi, highlyoriginal,

I have sent you a U2U, a rather long and probably over-detailed one. Even so, I hope it might be helpful.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
My self and our group are staying put right here in this state and will remain in the shelter for as long as is needed..

To leave the nation to do whatever is not acceptable to me personally, but to each their own..

someone has to make the attempt to either return to some semblance of order from the mess or it stays in a mess...and i intent to make that attempt.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Getting into another country is not that difficult. Get a plane ticket and a visa for your passport. The issue is with staying. They are going to kick you out if you do not have permission to stay and getting employment will not be easy without documentation. If you are caught you may face jail time before being deported. Make sure you choose a country where you would be comfortable in jail for a while.

Forget about Brazil. I have spent a great deal of time there and I can tell you for certain that without the proper paperwork you can not stay. The one option is to get married to a local if you want to go that route, but as you state that you have little cash, my guess is that you wont have much luck finding a woman who wants a man without resources or a job. English will be of minimal use there as far as employment goes, so you better learn Portuguese quick, and they are very thorough on checking paperwork. The same is true for most civilized nations. If your passport does not reflect permission to work in the country you will have a hard time. You could try to sneak into a remote area in Africa or New Guinnea, but without resources you wont do that well.

I suggest you see if you can find overseas employment before you go, or become a merchant seaman and live aboard a freighter.

Jumping off unplanned, with little cash reserves is a recipe for disaster. I have traveled all over to remote locations and speak from a great deal of experience.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I strongly recommend getting an open ended return ticket. They tend to be good for a year, and are a very good back up plan.

Second, working without a visa, working outside the constraints of your visa, and overstaying your visa are crimes - and you can be jailed, fined, deported (and barred from entering that country again for X number of years). I've known a few people who have run into these troubles over the years, and it's not pretty. You can count on zero support from your government in those cases.

Third - many countries have restrictions as to what you can and can not do on a tourist visa- beyond working, these can extend to renting an apartment, getting a cellphone, opening a bank account, buying a car/motorcycle/property, and so on.

Without a general destination in mind, it's tough to provide any kind of specific advice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join