It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Care Law Will Increase Costs, Experts Conclude in New Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Health Care Law Will Increase Costs, Experts Conclude in New Report

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON -- President Obama's health care overhaul law will increase the nation's health care tab instead of bringing costs down, government economic forecasters concluded Thursday in a sobering assessment of the sweeping legislation.

A report by economic experts at the Health and Human Services Department said the health care remake will achieve Obama's aim of expanding health insurance -- adding 34 million Americans to the coverage rolls.

But the analysis also found that the law falls short of the president's twin goal of controlling runaway costs. It also warned that Medicare
c
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China Questions Costs of US Healthcare Reform

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The sobering realization that we have been lied to? Not a surprise to many but I'm sure a lot of the public actually believed Obama when he said we couldn't afford to wait to fix health care. Now we find we can't afford to go ahead with health care!

"During 2010-2019, however, these effects would be outweighed by the increased costs associated with the expansions of health insurance coverage," wrote Richard S. Foster, Medicare's chief actuary. "Also, the longer-term viability of the Medicare ... reductions is doubtful." Foster's office is responsible for long-range costs estimates.

Democrats find themselves in big trouble for reelection due to HC:

In particular, the warnings about Medicare could become a major political liability for Democratic lawmakers in the midterm elections. Seniors are more likely to vote than younger people and polls show they are already deeply skeptical of the law.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It didn't take a study to figure that out, it is obvious that increasing the size of the insurance pool will spread costs out...but it won't lower them. It's common sense, I don't know how or why anyone would believe it would actually lower costs.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Shouldn't they have figured this ou BEFORE they passed it? I mean my god the ineptness of the US government is becoming ridiculous. Can they actually do anything efficiently anymore? It's time for these people to get kicked out. Obama is a fraud and disaster. He's a spineless dirt bag. He's not my president.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Wow..a multi-million dollar government study to prove that increased
demand (new patients) without increased supply (doctors) will increase
the cost of medical care.

So.. I guess the next step is to elect Congressmen and Senators who
can get rid of this health bill and stop the damage from being done.

-cwm

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Shouldn't they have figured this ou BEFORE they passed it? I mean my god the ineptness of the US government is becoming ridiculous. Can they actually do anything efficiently anymore?

While I certainly agree it appears that government is totally inept especially lately!

Obama filled us full of pro health care baloney by using Congressional Budget Office figures or CBO. But CBO is simply a political arm of the party in control, the Democrats. People think the CBO is non biased, non partisan when they are precisely the opposite!

This study was by another less biased, more objective source:

A report by economic experts at the Health and Human Services Department said the new health care law will expand insurance but won't reduce runaway costs

The greatest problem I had with the law in the first place is there were never any cost control measures in the entire bill. Nothing to encourage people to use less rather than more health care. Eg. medical savings plans work because people only use their savings plan money if they really need care because they see the money as theirs if they use it wisely. None of that occurs with Obama Care.

I'm in health care and I see overuse already, and certainly no improvement after HC kicks in!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My sentiments are the same as others. What world are people living in where you can increase the number of people using a service and bring costs down? It just isn't possible. Even in a product based business more people buying your product means you make more profit, but it still costs more money to make the products.

Actually I'm kind of glad cost controls measures aren't in the bill, cost controls would make things 100 times worse than this bill already makes them. Hopefully this monstrosity gets repealed.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Remember, you had Obama, Reid, Pelosi and the MSM telling everyone that costs would go down while they were trying to ram-rod the bill down the American throat.

At the Health Care Summit:

Obama: "...what we've done is we've tried to take every single cost containment idea that's out there. Every proposal that health care economists say will reduce health care costs, we've tried to adopt in the various proposals."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

But I agree that senior citizens who see their Medicare affected in a bad way will give Democrats a huge lambasting at the polls in November.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

At the Health Care Summit: Obama: "...what we've done is we've tried to take every single cost containment idea that's out there. Every proposal that health care economists say will reduce health care costs, we've tried to adopt in the various proposals." www.huffingtonpost.com...

But I agree that senior citizens who see their Medicare affected in a bad way will give Democrats a huge lambasting at the polls in November.

Stared, good point, forgot Obama said that earlier. What a bunch of lies that he has considered all the cost reduction ideas! What a lie!
The man.....

[edit on 23/4/10 by plumranch]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
LOL Right, it will increase the costs to insurance companies and shorten their billions in profits. Really if you deny ignorance you have to look a little deeper than right wing rhetoric.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
I mean my god the ineptness of the US government is becoming ridiculous. Can they actually do anything efficiently anymore?

As proven by the government's own track record, the only thing governments do efficiently is grow bigger. That's not necessarily a good thing either; governments are totally incapable of actually enhancing society or economy. Governments do not create anything that can be sold, bartered or traded...They can only take something from some people & give it to others & it relies on force to do so. This is a truth that has stood the test of time, down throughout the entire history of human civilization.
The more a government takes, the bigger it grows & the more it costs to keep it maintained...As it grows bigger, the costs associated with every single task they perform increases. When backed by a fiat money-system that is backed by nothing of value, guess what the natural results are going to come from it?
The more our government regulates, legislates & enforces, the more of a financial burden they become...The more of a burden they become, the worse off the People are. So the government seeks to promote more regulation, more control, more expenses, all the way to bankruptcy & the END OF ITSELF. Just like the "big fish in a little pond" syndrome, government literally eats its way into starving the entire nation.
So, yes...The government is "efficient" in one thing...Acting as a parasite on human society.

Originally posted by carewemust
So.. I guess the next step is to elect Congressmen and Senators who
can get rid of this health bill and stop the damage from being done.

Have you so soon forgotten even recent history? What of ACORN & its voter registration fraud?...BTW, ACORN is still hanging around the government & receiving support & financing from Obama. What of the controversies that surrounded the easy tampering of electronic voting? Remember the "hanging chad" problem? Can it really be certain that votes make any difference?
Even though the People supposedly voted our current representatives into office, what happened then? They completely ignored their duty & responsibility to represent us anyway, driving the Health Care Bill through without even knowing what was really in it...All against overwhelming public mandate to NOT pass it. Where was our "representation" before they voted? By the Oath of Office under the Constitution, they all must guarantee a Republican (ie: meaning a representative government, not Republican Political Party) form of government (Article 4, Section 4).
If people aren't being smart enough to do the research on the candidates in the first place, then they're going to wind up with Oath-Breakers in Office anyway. The problem with this is a symptom of people following "party-line politics" like there's really much difference between the two major parties anyway...They both advocate bigger (& more expensive) government, more regulation & the attitude that they aren't accountable to the Law or the People who vote them into Office in the first place.

Originally posted by damwel
LOL Right, it will increase the costs to insurance companies and shorten their billions in profits.

Which means that insurance companies will start to pack up & move overseas too, just like many other businesses have simply because the government is regulating against the principles of the free market. Why else do you think America has lost so many jobs? Over-regulation by government cuts into profits...So they move to less restrictive countries that are more in tune with the free market! When they move out, they take their jobs with them.
So you see, government cannot even create jobs...It's the free market in the private sector that really creates jobs. The only jobs that government creates are more government jobs! In short, bigger government!

[edit on 23-4-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I am still amazed that people fell for this cost saving, deficit reducing rhetoric anyway. There is no way a publicly funded entity will ever reduce costs. The original estimate for this thing was computed by throwing a dart at a board just to put a number out there. Be afraid, be very afraid...

When has the govt. ever operated anything on budget or below budget. Reminds of the good old days of $600 Pentagon Ash Trays. The costs for Obamacare will snowball into oblivion and the writing was all over the wall before this passed.

My dad retires in One week and he does not know what lies ahead with respect to medicare and social security.

Oye!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

right wing rhetoric.?!

A report by economic experts at the Health and Human Services Department said the new health care law will expand insurance but won't reduce runaway costs

You're accusing Health and Human Services Department of being right wing??

new topics

top topics

join