It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough is enough, satellites speeding fines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This is preposterous and outrageous, satellites to issue speeding tickets. Even in bad weather, this is one of the major public revenue raising schemes up to date. Now, if CCTV cameras are not enough to raise privacy concerns in UK, than what will come out of this big brother system?

Satellites to issue speeding fines

[edit on 4/22/2010 by krystalice]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Be brave for once and do the right thing.

Refuse to pay illegitimate fines.

And fight it in court to the bitter end.

And refuse to pay any court fees.

Refuse everything to the last straw.

This will cripple their system in the long run.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Actually this might be the perfect thing. As more an more Orwellian measures are enforced on the UK we are being pushed towards the breaking point.

Sure it might seem like a good idea to help curb the speeds around the school zones, but these cameras wont be used only within areas that make things safer for the kids. This will no doubt be used in the most remote desolate areas to catch the speeders that no one really wants to chase in the middle of nowhere.

I'd say ...glad it's not Canada, but it'll be here soon enough

..Ex

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Right, what is the next thing up their alley? This is no different than a microchip implanted inside your body, except it only tracks you when you car starts. For example, imagine if this goes through, the influence that it may pose unto other business needs in the corporate world.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
You could try sticking to the speed restriction. This way, many lives would be saved. I'm not refering to the speeding drivers lives, but more the innocent pedestrians, many of them children who are mown down because "Gazza" wanted to drive fast.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't freak out about this just yet, to me it makes absolutely no sense monetarily. Putting a system like this in place requires a constellation of expensive satellites in orbit as well as installing all of the associated cameras on the ground. As for the satellites, they will face a trade off between camera size, weight, and resolution vs. the orbital altitude they want and cost. Consider that if they use a smaller, cheaper, camera then they have to place the satellite closer to the ground in order to achieve the required resolution, but this will greatly shorten the lifespan of the satellite. So they are making the gamble that an enormously expensive system will pay for itself and more with probably a 10 to 15 year lifespan. Also consider that by its very nature this system is a victim of its own success. If you really want to screw them over, just stop speeding, so the system has absolutely no chance of making a profit during its lifetime. I doubt they would maintain a system that lost millions rather than made money.

Although now that I think about it, if you stop speeding, citizens will foot the bill anyway through taxes...I guess if I was forced to buy a satellite I'd at least have some fun seeing if it worked. In a safe area of course...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bargoose
You could try sticking to the speed restriction. This way, many lives would be saved. I'm not refering to the speeding drivers lives, but more the innocent pedestrians, many of them children who are mown down because "Gazza" wanted to drive fast.

I always make the same argument and everyone just gives me an evil eye. The mere suggestion that one should obey traffic laws annoys people to no end.

I really feel no pity for people caught speeding unless it was one of those little speed trap towns.

new topics

top topics

join