It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do Ads Depicting Mixed Emotions Persuade Abstract Thinkers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

How Do Ads Depicting Mixed Emotions Persuade Abstract Thinkers?

www.sciencedaily.com

People who think more abstractly respond better to ads that portray mixed emotions, according to a new study in the Journal of Consumer Research.

Authors Jiewen Hong (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology) and Angela Y. Lee (Northwestern University) also discovered that factors such as age and culture affect people's ability to think abstractly.

"This research offers practical implications for marketers planning their advertising campaigns. The findings suggest that in developing mixed emotions ads, advertisers should frame the benefits of the products more abstractly such as
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Proof That The Advertising Industry Is A Form Of Mind Control Part 2

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think this is an important study...especially in light of the study that suggested that Negative Subliminals Do Work.

The Advertising Industry is indeed gaining more and more knowledge regarding what influences a human that they have never met. The implication is that the information they are presenting for people may not be in context to their daily lives...which suggests that people are capable of influencing how you emotionally react...which is relevant when you consider that many advertisements are sending emotional implications for reactions...in the hopes that you will associate with their product.

I still think that the Advertising Industry is one to keep an eye on...as they are mostly involved in subtle manipulations that many of us do not quite understand...

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Does the use of subliminal messaging or suggestive advertising change the thinking patterns of the viewers? If so, they have to keep changing what they do?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

A really great topic I think many people take for granted disregarding the potential for unhealthy, unwanted subliminal messaging.
You cannot say it isn't an idea placed in your head if it is subliminal. You just unconsciously lean toward the desired behavior not knowing why or even realizing you have been manipulated and are acting accordingly.

I resent all types of deceptive manipulative advertising. More than any freedom I would fight to be free of the unconscionable assault and insidious effect of these ads. They erode society. I turn them off even if it means watching a few programs at once and holding the remote in my hand, but they clearly work. We see the results, we have become a consumer nation of chemical consuming, garbage eaters, junk collectors and prescription drug abusers.

We are over worked and over stressed already. If you watch the nightly news you get discouraged believe the world is as bad off as it appears.

And then you sit through the advertisements and suddenly amassing lots of stuff (to see something for your work time) and taking all the drugs you need from being over worked - become appealing and often your only options.

It is a cycle so sheep can be kept, nose to the grindstone and effectively sheared of their hard earned money without putting up too much of a fuss. We THINK we are getting something back.

We are getting in debt and indentured.
And we are giving our most important and valuable birth right away.

Quality leisure time to enjoy with your children and your family.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
You cannot say it isn't an idea placed in your head if it is subliminal. You just unconsciously lean toward the desired behavior not knowing why or even realizing you have been manipulated and are acting accordingly.

Quoted for relevance. Yes, people are being manipulated by subconscious invocation of human physiology...and their ignorance of it is required. The stimulation of physiological response can have a massive impact on behaviour and I think that is relevant when one considers that our entire social structure is based on making people accountable for their behaviour.

Interesting times indeed...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I may be straying a little off the topic, but I remember the time I was given a phone as a present to which I rejected as I am against materialistic goods. (Plus mobile phones annoy me anyway), but my parents didn't see me rejecting the materialistic aspect of it, but the personal side.
They attributed the mobile as a symbolism of their own self and in me rejecting that branded item they saw it as me rejecting THEM.

It just beggars belief to me that people close to me could find it insulting that I'd rather want to spend more time talking (in person) with my family and friends than on a mobile phone, which everyone has got.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

I don't necessarily see that as off topic...it is a valid interpretation of your events/life experience...

top topics

join