It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15,000 protest to RAISE taxes and to "Chop from the Top"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

No one doesn't pay taxes.. some don't pay Federal Income.. but we all pay Medicair, SS, Medicaid, etc. If you own a home, you pay property. If you live in a state with sales tax, you have that. Then there is state income. Then there is the vast amount of fees, then taxes on goods like gas, cigs, beer, so on and so on.

Re-read. I said income tax.

I dont think that the 6500 character limit would allow me enough room to state all the ways they pick your pocket.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf
I wonder how many of them actually pay taxes?

ALL OF THEM!

www.nytimes.com...

Even if the discussion is restricted to federal taxes (for which the statistics are better), a vast majority of households end up paying federal taxes. Congressional Budget Office data suggests that, at most, about 10 percent of all households pay no net federal taxes. The number 10 is obviously a lot smaller than 47. The reason is that poor families generally pay more in payroll taxes than they receive through benefits like the Earned Income Tax Credit. It’s not just poor families for whom the payroll tax is a big deal, either. About three-quarters of all American households pay more in payroll taxes, which go toward Medicare and Social Security, than in income taxes.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel

www.abovetopsecret.com...

How many times will the 47% recent right-wing LIE need to be corrected?

www.nytimes.com...

Even if the discussion is restricted to federal taxes (for which the statistics are better), a vast majority of households end up paying federal taxes. Congressional Budget Office data suggests that, at most, about 10 percent of all households pay no net federal taxes. The number 10 is obviously a lot smaller than 47. The reason is that poor families generally pay more in payroll taxes than they receive through benefits like the Earned Income Tax Credit. It’s not just poor families for whom the payroll tax is a big deal, either. About three-quarters of all American households pay more in payroll taxes, which go toward Medicare and Social Security, than in income taxes.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by drew hempel]

Read it and weep bud.

www.taxpolicycenter.org...

And that doesnt even factor in those who pay in and then get it all back and then some in their refund.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Thirty_Foot_Smurf]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Next time when you claim people don't pay taxes make sure you correct yourself.

People not paying income tax is not the same is paying no taxes.

Basic point yet a CRUCIAL DIFFERENCE.

Kind of like the difference between CAPITAL GAINS and INCOME.

Read THIS and weep:

In the 1950s the marginal tax rate on those earning more than $3 million a year (in today’s dollars) was 91 percent. By 1990 it was 28 percent. The IRS says that the top 400 richest tax filers actually paid a rate of just 16 percent in 2007 (the latest numbers we have). Yep, the richest earners — people who took in an average of $343 million each — probably paid a lower rate than you did. Something to consider as you sign your 2009 return.

In four consecutive issues of Time magazine, they demonstrated the astoundingly high costs of city, county, state and federal government payments to corporations that rarely need the taxpayers' hard-earned dollars.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

ALL OF THEM!

www.nytimes.com...

You friggin apologists kill me.

In your own damn article ( which you shouldve read )

Snippet:
The 47 percent number is not wrong. The stimulus programs of the last two years — the first one signed by President George W. Bush, the second and larger one by President Obama — have increased the number of households that receive enough of a tax credit to wipe out their federal income tax liability.

They pay in but they get it back at tax time which makes it a break even or in some circumstances a net loss for the federal government thus wiping out the taxpayers burden in federal income taxes.

So what does that mean? Erm...They dont pay.

Nice try but bad spin chief.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Thirty_Foot_Smurf]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

INCOME TAX -- hello?

In four consecutive issues of Time magazine, they demonstrated the astoundingly high costs of city, county, state and federal government payments to corporations that rarely need the taxpayers' hard-earned dollars.

crooksandliars.com...

AMY GOODMAN: Don Barlett, explain further exactly what the taxes were that Tim Geithner paid and didn’t pay and what the relation was to his work at the IMF, the International Monetary Fund. DONALD BARLETT: Well, as Jim indicated, these are the payroll taxes—Social Security, Medicare—that everyone has to pay. And, you know, the tax code is complex. Everybody knows that. It is easy to make a mistake. But the reason we said that Geithner’s was far more egregious is this. He signed a piece of paper acknowledging that he owed both taxes while he was employed by the IMF. He then collected the money from IMF to pay the taxes. Now, most of us, you know, the payroll taxes are withheld. We don’t get reimbursed for those taxes. It comes out of our own pocket. But Mr. Geithner not only signed a paper acknowledging he owed taxes, he collected money to pay the taxes and then didn’t pay them and pocketed the money. This is why it was far more egregious for him and why—you know, the New York Times demanded that Tom Daschle withdraw, and he did. But the same demand was not put on Mr. Geithner.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

Yes genius I said income tax. Look at my original post on page 6 and every post I had after that. Why dot you read them in their entirety before you freak out and post a reply out of a misunderstanding.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

ALL OF THEM!

Who's the apologist NOW?

CAPITAL GAINS VERSUS INCOME TAX -- LEARN THE DIFFERENCE

abcnews.go.com...

The scam catered to clients who earned more than $10 million to $20 million a year, finding them ways to reduce their taxes, according to an indictment handed up in the federal court for New York's Southern District. Ernst & Young took in more than $115.7 million in fees for setting up these shelters, charging clients between 1.25 percent and 2 percent for every dollar of tax deductions created, according to the indictment. The firm assisted more than 400 wealthy clients in reducing their taxes through such shelters. According to ABC News' calculations, that could mean that Ernst & Young helped its clients create more than $7.56 billion in tax deductions. One of these complicated tax shelters involved converting clients' ordinary income into capital gains.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

INCOME TAX -- hello?

crooksandliars.com...

AMY GOODMAN: Don Barlett, explain further exactly what the taxes were that Tim Geithner paid and didn’t pay and what the relation was to his work at the IMF, the International Monetary Fund. DONALD BARLETT: Well, as Jim indicated, these are the payroll taxes—Social Security, Medicare—that everyone has to pay. And, you know, the tax code is complex. Everybody knows that. It is easy to make a mistake. But the reason we said that Geithner’s was far more egregious is this. He signed a piece of paper acknowledging that he owed both taxes while he was employed by the IMF. He then collected the money from IMF to pay the taxes. Now, most of us, you know, the payroll taxes are withheld. We don’t get reimbursed for those taxes. It comes out of our own pocket. But Mr. Geithner not only signed a paper acknowledging he owed taxes, he collected money to pay the taxes and then didn’t pay them and pocketed the money. This is why it was far more egregious for him and why—you know, the New York Times demanded that Tom Daschle withdraw, and he did. But the same demand was not put on Mr. Geithner.

Guy...WTF does an article about tax cheat Geithner have to do with the conversation? You're just flailing your arms in the dark now.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

ALL OF THEM!

Who's the apologist NOW?

CAPITAL GAINS VERSUS INCOME TAX -- LEARN THE DIFFERENCE

abcnews.go.com...

The scam catered to clients who earned more than $10 million to $20 million a year, finding them ways to reduce their taxes, according to an indictment handed up in the federal court for New York's Southern District. Ernst & Young took in more than $115.7 million in fees for setting up these shelters, charging clients between 1.25 percent and 2 percent for every dollar of tax deductions created, according to the indictment. The firm assisted more than 400 wealthy clients in reducing their taxes through such shelters. According to ABC News' calculations, that could mean that Ernst & Young helped its clients create more than $7.56 billion in tax deductions. One of these complicated tax shelters involved converting clients' ordinary income into capital gains.

OMG you're lost. Its like I'm talking to a 5 year old. When did I say anything about capital gains tax?

Why don't I just start posting recipes from Paula Dean to try to prove my point?

They'd have about as much relevance.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
You know what...I give up. I have to go for a beer run and going round and round with a tween that just got his/her first computer is cutting into my drinking time.

Out

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

That's the problem -- see there's a PIE of TAX REVENUE -- the wealthy pay only 15% capital gains.

Social Security is REGRESSIVE which means the POOR pay a HIGHER PERCENTAGE THAN THE RICH

www.ssa.gov...

If You Are Self-Employed Jump to Paying Social Security and Medicare taxes‎: The Social Security tax rate for 2010 is 15.3 percent on self-employment income up to $106800 ...

Kapiche?

It's all connected!

Why? Social security is then RAIDED by the banker-weapon producers to fund WAR.

And then the BANKERS write an IOU to the working class paying social security.

O.K. so capital gains tax does not cover the cost of war yet the capital gains class reaps the profits from war.

Understand yet?

It's NOT THAT DIFFICULT

UNLESS you're bombarded by lies from the corporate-funded A-hole kissers -- the shills -- the fat white pigs posing as journalists....

FAUX news

Talk radio on Murdoch stations

Disney

G.E.

Brainwashed!!!!

I'll be happy to educate you more for FREE if you want -- otherwise just read my thread:

THE SUPER RICH TAX YOU TO DEATH!!

If you have any more questions about how capital gains is connected to income

HOW THE WEALTHY SECRETLY SHIFT THEIR INCOME TAX TO CAPITAL GAINS TAX!!!!

Then let me know.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

O.K. I'm gonna break it down for you since this seems a little bit above your head:

Well, as Jim indicated, these are the payroll taxes—Social Security, Medicare—that everyone has to pay. And, you know, the tax code is complex.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

O.K. if the WEALTHY DO NOT PAY INCOME TAX then you need to ask WHY?

Because they shift it to capital gains ILLEGALLY or to off-shore accounts, etc.

www.corpwatch.org...

The names and account details of about 4,450 UBS clients are being turned over the I.R.S. under a settlement with the bank. These people will pay billions of dollars in back taxes, penalties and interest. Scores more are coming forward independently to disclose their assets. More than 14,700 offshore tax evaders emerged under an I.R.S. amnesty program, and while the I.R.S. does not yet know how many are from UBS, it presumes that the majority are. Douglas Shulman, the I.R.S. commissioner, has said that he expects “billions” of dollars to roll in from the amnesty program.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Racehorse breeding as tax evasion:

tuesdayshorse.wordpress.com...

Oh, look. Rich folks may be wearing stripes, again. They got caught in a cash for foals scam by donating lots of dough to racehorse breeders so they don’t have to pay taxes and can afford more jets, or something.

Yachts as tax evasion:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Thanks to a longstanding tax exemption, Missouri's marina set can opt to pay a small fee in lieu of sales taxes and shave as much as $30,000 off the purchase of a $500,000 boat.

And then there's the Yacht Brokers with Offshore accounts! Double whammy!

www.nytimes.com...

Mr. Moran is the third former UBS client to be sentenced in the last two weeks in South Florida for filing false tax returns. One of them got house arrest and the other a short prison term. Seven former clients have been charged in the latest crackdown, and dozens more are under investigation. Mr. Moran, president of Moran Yacht and Ship, which has offices in Fort Lauderdale and Moscow, will lose his yacht broker’s license because of the felony conviction and faces an uncertain business future, Gary M. Bagliebter, his lawyer, said. In remarks to the judge, Mr. Moran, 58, accepted full responsibility. He had about $3.5 million in his UBS accounts.

www.ehow.com...

Many personal recreational boats qualify as second homes and the interest paid on those boat loans can be deducted from your taxes. Boats purchased and used for business purposes also come with a few tax deductions. There are some requirements that you and the boat have to meet to take these deductions. Make sure you check them before using your boat as a tax deduction to avoid a tax audit

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by aravoth

The free market is slavery!

Pirates, pillaging, raping, plunder = the free market!

Currently cocoa for chocolate is from child slavery.

The Amazon is rife with slavery.

Sweatshops ARE the "free market" -- just read Noam Chomsky "World Orders: Old and New" (Columbia University Press, 1994).

Please get an education before it's too late!

naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com...

Myth of the Free Market

read human action by Ludwig von Mises before you throw a third grade economics book at me.

Thank you for trying.

May your chains rest lightly upon you.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Mises IS third grade economics!

www.democraticunderground.com...

By ERIC NALDER SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER Paul Nicewonger is among 660 owners of large luxury boats in Washington state who paid no state sales tax on their boats and also can claim boat-related deductions on their federal income taxes. They have boats in what is called bare-boat charter (bare meaning without a crew). "You are buying the boat tax free," said Nicewonger. "Depending on what tax bracket you are in, Uncle Sam is paying for 40 percent of the boat. Plus no sales tax, in my case a $30,000 savings, and all repairs, moorings, etc., are tax deductible."

It would be OK to deduct all these expenses and depreciation up to a break-even point with their charter income, but not beyond, said Special Trial Judge Robert Armen.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

The term Son of Boss refers to a variety of aggressive tax shelters that closely resemble each other and that are variously known as flip, opisblips and mld, or market-linked deposits, among other names, according to the I.R.S. Son of Boss, which the I.R.S. formally disallowed in 2000 and has never considered valid, involves creating artificial losses that are then used to offset legitimate gains. In 2004, the agency offered to reduce penalties owed if investors in the shelter came forward and paid the taxes owed. About 1,200 investors took advantage of the offer, paying $3.8 billion. But some 600 investors did not come forward, with some, like Mr. Thompson, choosing to challenge the I.R.S. in tax court.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
www.alternet.org...

How the scam works: A public company grants stock options to a top executive. The executive transfers the options to a trust or partnership controlled by his or her family. The transfer is called a "sale" and the trust "pays" for the options with a note due in 20 or 30 years. After the options are transferred, the trust exercises the option to buy stocks which it sells on the market. The executive plays out the fiction that tax is not owed until the deferred payment date, although in fact he controls the profit stashed offshore in a secret account where the IRS can't find it. According to the IRS, business executives have used such shelters to evade taxes on $8 billion in income. Assume that means "at least." And that's just one swindle in the panoply of tax cheating which the IRS says contributes to the loss of $40 billion to $70 billion a year from individual use and $30 billion from corporate use of tax havens. Those numbers are probably low: According to a Tax Justice Network report quoted by the Senate investigation and based on statistics from Merrill Lynch/Cap Gemini's "World Wealth Report" and the Boston Consulting Group's "Global Wealth Report," 16.2 percent of the private wealth of North Americans, $1.6 trillion, is held offshore. The overwhelming reason for that is tax evasion.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Third Grade Economics -- straight from Mises!

www.wcolweb.com...

Economics By: Natasha Cooksey In this unit of study, students will learn about economics using easy hands-on activities. At the end of the unit, the students will create an advertising campaign on a chosen product. After completing this unit, students will both enjoy and understand economics.

Here's your real "Free Market" b.s.:

www.alternet.org...

He adds, "In the 18th century the Indian textiles were of a much better quality than those of the British. The British destroyed the Indian textile industry and prevented merchants within the British Empire from importing fabrics and other manufactured products from the colonies." This economic model, the film says, has created a global situation in which today, less than 25 percent of the world’s population uses more than 80 percent of the planet’s resources.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join