It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Dems Move To Eliminate The Filibuster…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Senate Dems Move To Eliminate The Filibuster…

The senate democrats are at it again, trying to change something in their favor when they were all against the move in the past.

Senate Democrats Gather In The Rules Committee To Eliminate The Filibuster

THEN-SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D-IL): “What [The American People] Do Not Expect Is For One Party, Be It Republican Or Democrat, To Change The Rules In The Middle Of The Game So They Can Make All The Decisions While The Other Party Is Told To Sit Down And Keep Quiet.” “What they do not expect is for one party, be it Republican or Democrat, to change the rules in the middle of the game so they can make all the decisions while the other party is told to sit down and keep quiet. The American people want less partisanship in this town, but everyone in this Chamber knows that if the majority chooses to end the filibuster, if they choose to change the rules and put an end to democratic debate, then the fighting, the bitterness, and the gridlock will only get worse.” (Sen. Obama, Congressional Record, S.3512, 4/13/05)

THEN-SEN. JOE BIDEN (D-DE): “I Pray God When The Democrats Take Back Control, We Don’t Make The Kind Of Naked Power Grab You Are Doing.” (Sen. Biden, Congressional Record, S.5737, 5/23/05)

SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV): “The Need To Muster 60 Votes In Order To Terminate Senate Debate Naturally Frustrates The Majority And Oftentimes The Minority. I Am Sure It Will Frustrate Me When I Assume The Office Of Majority Leader In A Few Weeks. But I Recognize This Requirement Is A Tool That Serves The Long-Term Interest Of The Senate And The American People And Our Country.” (Sen. Reid, Congressional Record, S.11591, 12/8/06)

REID: “Mr. President, The Filibuster Is Not A ‘Procedural Gimmick.’ The Filibuster Is An Important Check On Executive Power And Part Of Every Senator’s Right To Free Speech In The United States Senate.” (Sen. Harry Reid, “Reid Floor Statement On Nuclear Option,” Press Release, 5/17/05)

What I am confused about is that they are doing this in front of the public for all to see and yet everyone remains numb to their deceit. Well not everyone, thanks to all of the awakening members of the Tea Party.

But for you other zombies marching for the LEFT, how do you defend such deceit of the public trust?

[edit on 22-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
star and flag for you, as just more of the same old tyranny going on, as they have no qualms putting in there hitler like legislation in as fast as they can now!
just waiting

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm going to need more info than this. We all know the politicos in washington are hypocrites, but a two or three line article saying they gathered to eliminate the filibuster is a little slacking.

They don't have to votes to do this though do they? Or are no votes necessary?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

I don't know how the committee changes to rules are put into effect, I think they are brought to floor for everyone to vote on them. If you find out anything more on this, post away.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I don't think we will find out anything until they come out of committee and bring it to the floor I do believe. That is if this is even true. At the bottom of the article that your link linked too says it came from the Republican info center or something like that.

If they have to vote on this then nothing is going to change, just going to be more campaign fodder for the Dems come Nov. 10 and 12. I guess they are trying to cement the predicted losses in Nov. Which is kind of an interesting tactic. Get the repubs into majority so when 2012 comes rolling around Obama can down the republicans for not doing anything.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I was pondering the same thing, that from all the of the polling data and anti-democrat anything sediment wave throughout the nation why would the democrats try to push for this now. They are predicted to lose both houses and they want to get rid of the filibuster rule? Doesn't make any sense to me either, but what if the elections get rigged again? If you can cheat an election once, you can surely cheat again. Absentee ballots are easiest to pull of for voter fraud, just look at what happened in the Minnesota senate race.

Obama can try to blame republicans for everything, just look at his numbers sliding down every time he blames bush. The blame game is thing of the past, its about what are you going to do and are you listening to "we the people".

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

It very well could be, but you can only rig a certain percent of the vote through peaceful channels.

I don't know, the only other thing I can think of is they want to remove the rule so they can try to shove the rest of their agenda down our throats. As it stands right now, the Repubs will filibuster everything the Dem's do just because saying No to everything seems to be working for them. But the funny part is that just about everything the dems are proposing now they have proposed and advocated at one time.

That's why I say screw both parties, it's all political theater. They just give the appearance that they are working for us to keep the two headed snake in power. We need a for real alternate party that has mainstream views. Lots of people want to get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, and SS. but they won't vote for somebody because they have payed into the system and they want what was proposed or their money back.

And in a nutshell that is why nothing will ever change, because people want what they paid for and honestly I don't blame them.

top topics

join