It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An American Phenomenon: The Widespread Psychiatric Drugging of Infants and Toddlers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by scwizard
Side effects may include becoming interested in stupid # like WoW or small talk, instead of actually learning new things.

The small talk part I'm not so sure about, however if that's in the money, then psych meds are miracle drugs that will make your kid popular and good in school. Tell your friends! Give your child ritalin today!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
You know, possibly the most fulfilling work I've ever done was working with *quote* "bad" *unquote* children teaching them creative writing, social skills, and cultural awareness over a summer. These children were the MOST honest individuals I've ever met, and told you exactly what they saw going on around them irregardless of the accepted social practices. These were children who were brilliantly creative, and extremely energetic. I suspect many ATS members were once that way. What in the #3ell is wrong with that!? They were only labeled "bad" because their natural exuberance was deemed "too much" either by their parents or by other adults in their lives. They not only wanted to know why, but how. It seems somebody or a group of somebodies does not want too many people with leadership qualities asking too many questions. It's interesting, the last real leaders anyone in the world has had were all assassinated in the 60's and 70's. Everyone since then has been bought off or were planted in the first place.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Please tell me you are kidding or being sarcastic when you say you believe it is ok for parents to kill their child because they gave it life???

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiseone11
I don't think i know any child that isn't on some drug for "behavior" issues...everything is a "disease" now. If they have lots of energy they have add, if they misbehave it's an arcane psychiatric term that really means "no discipline at home"

Most people I've met that are about 30 or so have all been diagnosed with something or another...

Have you noticed...EVERYTHING is a disease...that means no one is making choices, the devil or the disease make them do it...no more responsibility.

rant over

Really!? Everybody form the babies on up? I don't know one child that's on something, let alone all of them! Whats the demographics of your community? This is alarming. The only reason I ask the demographics of your community, is I'd like to know the culture or lifestyle that could allow this, and to watch any legislation coming from these types of communities in the future. Whatever your doing, keep doing it because you seem level headed and not affected like the rest around you.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Thank you for posting. As a parent of two perfectly normal children, I couldn't agree with you more.

And - of course - by perfectly normal I mean that my children do OF COURSE play up, they get angry, sad, they lose concentration, they re-gain concentration, they are naughty and they are good...

My son has the energy of a small nuclear reactor and if he doesn't run around like a rabbit he gets gnarly.

And that ... is completely normal.

They are developing still and if you go to a doctor - or heaven forbid - your school decides that they are hyper or ADD... then you'd better man up and be a parent to your kid and educate yourself... because that is your duty as a parent.

Some might say that it's not the parents fault, it's just the doctors (or schools) fault... but actually you are 100% responsible for your children and you shouldn't take the word of anyone without checking and double checking...

Sure - we have given children medicine, when it's necessary and obvious, illness and disease etc.

But manufactured illnesses to enable parents to be lazy, or doctors to prescribe meds, or to create perfect children (sic)... well I am sorry...

Educate yourselves parents, find doctors who are actually interested in the well being of your children, find schools that actually put the children first, and of course seek second opinions, and the opinons of your trusted peers (parents, friends).

As a parent - I am proud of the way that I try to parent my children... sure I get it wrong from time to time, sure I get frustrated, sure I tell them off for being naughty... but I like to think that I try very hard to be a parent.

Nobody said it was easy!

TTFN
askbaby

[edit on 23-4-2010 by askbaby]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by siahchi

siahchi, I think I can help.

When I was around 17 or so, I attended this summer program: www.putneyschoolsummer.org...

80% of the people there were girls. And it seemed 50% of the people there were on psych meds of some sort. I remember sitting in a circle talking with people, and the conversation drifting over to everyone sharing their stories about the time they tried to kill themselves. It was pretty unreal.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by scwizard]

[edit on 23-4-2010 by scwizard]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Wow. Very well said!

Saw a car on the side of the road a few months back with "Psychiatry: Hooking our kids on drugs" signs all over it. Good to see some active opposition to this.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Now I am not here to bash Capitalism, but there are instances where Profits come BEFORE People, and travesty follows....

Generation RX Documentary - this one is kind of intense, about medicating our youth
stagevu.com...

FUNNY (in a sad but true kinda way) spiff on Pharma commercials ('
')
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-4-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree. Psychaitric drugging is horrible. I won't even do street drugs bcuz of the way they eff with your head. If someone said I can take a drug to lose weight and it came with a warning that said "causes suicidal tendencies", you better bet that I'd rather stay fat and ugly than take something that is gonna make me want to kill myself. I've known a few people that were on drugs. They all have horror stories. Psychiatry is trying to change the "chemical balance" of an organ they don't even understand. If someone came to you and said "I'm gonna fix your heart, I don't really know what's wrong with it or what to do with it, but I think if I inject this stuff into it you're gonna be better," are you gonna jump on the bandwagon? Hell no I know I'm not. Psychiatry is a pseudoscience.

These drugs give a literal meaning to, "if everyone jumped off a bridge..."

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If you're interested BBC2 showed a documentary recently about this subject. I haven't had a chance to watch it, but the presenter, Louis Theroux, is always entertaining.

It's only up for another 3 days on BBC iplayer before it gets taken down.

Louis Theroux: America's Medicated Kids

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Oppositional defiant disorder is a mental disorder??? All I have to say on the matter is # # # # # # # # #

I truly dread the day when they invent a med that will treat this "disorder."

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Really strange. None of these drugs existed when I grew up and the kids were well behaved. It is most certainly the Parents AND TEACHERS who are the problem.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I do not believe that children should be given prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary, but the article linked by the OP uses blanket statements and opinion as a solid case of facts while not identifying one single prescription drug and side effects.

The author notes the death of Rebecca Riley from an overdose, but does not include the fact that Rebecca was allegedly poisoned by her parents.

This article sounds more like pro-Scientology propaganda than a factual argument.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing this OP..sadly i cant say surprising though.. what did shock me was it being stated in the artical that there are many children even under a year old being perscribed pharmaceutical cocktails ..they did so first with 'manditory' vaccines from birth onwards and now they have taken it even further over the years.. its hard to pin the blaim on just one side of this clear abuse as yes, the drs damned well should know better, and the parents should take the responsibility of researching what the drs wish to put their children on.. its an easy cop out for a lot of parents these days to simply label then medicate their children from birth, throw their hands up and say 'its not my fault'..at 28 i grew up (as many of us here did) in the time period ADHD was really coming into the spotlight and more and more friends and classmates were being diagnosed and percribed meds before age 13..lucky to have the parents i have, i escaped this craziness. Drs that are obviously pushing this should lose their license, at the very..very least.. but, its not likely, drs and shrinks are bedmates with big pharma.. and its not at all about helping us mere 'underlings'

thanks again for this, OP.. i hope it makes anyone who didnt previously think about, take some notice..

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Full_Vision

I have to say, as a fellow Brit (unless you emigrated here), my experience growing up here was very different to yours.

I am also 28 and none of my friends were medicated for psychological conditions when I was growing up as far as I know. I'd never even heard of ADD/ADHD untill I was about 15-16.

Today, I have a little girl and most of my friends have kids. Not one of them is on unwarranted medication and believe me, some of them are well hyper! My sister's stepson is hillarious, he reminds me of the squirrel from Over the Hedge!

That is the big difference between the US and the UK. The US medical profession is out to make money and is run by the Pharma Companies. The UK medical profession is state run and out to save money, so they don't prescribe drugs where not necessary and also dictate the price of the drugs, by choosing the cheapest generic brands that they can, creating a competetive system within the pharma co's.

Also, I'd like to add that regarding the vaccines given to kids, appart from the issues with the combined MMR jab and the flu jab (neither of which I have allowed my daughter to have), please do not forget the lives that have been saved from polio, TB and smallpox through childhood vaccines. These are deseases that once decimated the population and are virtually extinct the the modern world today. It is very irresponsible to claim that ALL childhood vaccines are bad.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I do agree with what people are saying - kids should not be taking this stuff at such a young age. The responsability lies with the parent(s) to control their kids.

But as I see it, one of the drives for the heavy-handed, blanket medication approach is because people are *not allowed* to physically reprimand their kids anymore. Or at the least, they are too terrified of exacting some form of physical deterrant for fear of abuse claims, etc.

Now, I'm not saying you punch your 7 year old in the face or anything that constitutes serious bodily harm. Not in ANY way!

But a good HARD smack on the bum or thigh, quick scarey grab-and-putdown in the corner, etc. Because most people are scared to do these things now, given so many lousy Human Rights groups, children can get away with murder because *they know* adults can't do anything to them.

In my day at school, teachers were WELL within their rights to physically grab a student, drag them out to the hall and leave them there. Or grab and arm lock them if they were fighthing with another student, causing violence, etc. You can't do that anymore or you get threatened with being sued or child abuse, etc.

It's a bullpoop situation which nowadays, people are relying on "medication" to control the behaviour.

Speaking from personal experience, having a parent instill the fear of God in you for misbehaving, either through (restrained/controlled) violence or the threat of violence, worked a charm.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I don't want my children getting any immunization... hell I may as well have my woman give birth at home, would save on costs anyhow...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by scwizard

Ritalin makes you a zombie, Adderall will give you ADD if you you don't actually have it(if you do have it see Ritalin), and Concerta gave me seizures when I stopped taking it.

One of my main goals in life is to be a psychologist and I wouldn't mind going for a doctorate. I want to tell people that the medications they are taking are NOT needed and that personal control is key(and free!).

--*I do understand some cases DO NEED medication but in my goals, it is to tell people that don't need it to quit using medication that is useless.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBloodRed
I don't want my children getting any immunization... hell I may as well have my woman give birth at home, would save on costs anyhow...

While I share the sentiment, there is one thing you aren't remembering.

In most states now it's illegal NOT to get your children immunized. If you just say "I'm not going to do it" you can end up with CPS busting your door down with the cops, pulling your kids out kicking and screaming..

Think on that one very wisely and don't just do it "because it's wrong" "because it causes X" or "Because I hate the government"

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Excellent observation, OP!

There are many threads on ATS regarding the defense of the USA's liberty. I have been wondering why the biggest threat to the USA and probably our civilization at large does not bother more people. Maybe it is easier to deal with wild conspiracy theories than with a cruel reality.

DRUGS ARE THE #1 CAUSE OF THE DECLINE OF THE US AND OTHER FREE COUNTRIES!

Street drugs were first, but the mind altering drugs of the psychiatric drug industry are just as bad.

Drugs make an excellent weapon to destroy an enemy.

I wish more people would start investigating who is the source of the drug pushing that is going on. The propaganda machinery is impressive that is trying to convince us how cool coc aine is and how you cannot be happy without Prozac. Get to the bottom of this and you will have found the real enemies of freedeom and humanity. THIS is the conspiracy that needs to be uncovered and blown apart first!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join