It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you know if you are astrally projecting?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Recently, i've been trying to visualize and astral project. I seem to be having success, as i have created an 'environment' i go to to meditate, and sometimes before bed might explore the Earth & the stars. But my question is that how do i know if what i am visualizing and seeing is real and not a figment of my imagination? My goal is to eventually meet with the benevolent ET's in our solar system, but how do i know we are actually really talking and not just something i'm making up with my ego or 'dark side' in my head?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I would like to know too. Please, someone come by with an answer!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
i havent really done so but ive been on other forums(sacredmagick.com) and read about peoples experiences

i think if you see your body while out of it you are astral projecting or lucid dreaming.
also if you are floating or find yourself on such places such as rings of saturn lol

[edit on 22-4-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Hi there - great question..! I clicked on this thread to come and see what answers you'd received; however it seems I've been too quick off the blocks..! :bnghd:

I've had some limited experience of astral projection - once was entirely without pre-determination from my own conscious mind. I was physically exhausted, having been forced into a position where I'd been sleeping rough for a couple of months (you don't get much sleep in that sort of situation..!) Anyway, cutting a long story short, I was back at my mother's house, facing the first night with any prospect of sleeping in a proper bed for ages, and - as I lay staring at the ceiling - I was totally relaxed.

My mind began to wander, drifting towards the edge of sleep. In an instant, a change was wrought in my perception - without any sort of warning or transition. I found myself literally floating outside the bedroom door, needing to do a mental double-take - wondering if perhaps I was lucid dreaming. Quickly, I came to the conclusion that I was in a genuine out-of-body state. I was pretty chuffed to be honest - I'd read about such things, but had never experienced it (insofar as I was aware). I tried to grasp my left arm with my right hand, to see if it was tangible. It wasn't, though the positional sense of where my limbs were was entirely intact (hard to explain if you've never experienced it).. In fact, I couldn't even see myself with any clarity - 'ethereal' would be a very good way to describe it.

I tried to walk, and almost 'fell over'; a bit like trying to walk on rolling waves of jelly, gravity equal to that of the moon. I could half-walk, half-float in the general direction I wanted to travel - it seemed to have as much to do with my conscious effort as with any 'physical' means of propulsion. My vision was blurred, as though seeing through a finely-woven muslin sheet (seeing across the dimensional gap..?)

As I reached the end of the landing, I clumsily turned and aimed myself down the stairs. I managed to get to a third of the way down, turning right I could vaguely see the front door beyond the next flight of steps, at the end of the downstairs hallway. Without warning, a pair of unseen hands were clasped around my 'neck', and began to strangle me.. This was no joke - I could literally sense the peril of being strangled, along with the sensation of being unable to draw a breath. The terror escalated within a few seconds, on realising I was powerless to remove - or even feel - the hands gripping so tightly around my throat. I ended up trying to call out to my mother and stepfather, whose bedroom door I could see in my hazy peripheral vision. As I tried to force the sound out - nothing came. Instead it seems that the heightened state of anxiety acted as a trigger; one which 'snapped' me back into my body. I rose, gasping for breath - just like in the stereotypical 'waking from a nightmare' scene in the movies.

Since then, I've read up on the art of astral travel, and feel that the risks are possibly underplayed by those who would have us believe it's an entirely safe form of 'consciousness exploration'. I feel strongly that if travelling in this manner without due precautions, a person might even be at risk of offering a home (in the form of one's unoccupied body) to various dangerous psychic energies/entities. My advice therefore would be: 'Tread carefully', and make sure you enlist the support of whatever positive spiritual guides / guardians / traditions you believe in and adhere to.

I look forward to reading more of the responses you will doubtless receive. You've also inspired me to start researching the phenomenon anew. All the best - star and flag headed your way.

Noah

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The simplest way of confirming that your projecting is to just stare at your hand for a moment and it starts to melt/fade away then you're having a OBE.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay Electronica

Either that or you've just taken a whopping dose of '___'...!

This is (was) a one-line post; however, it is stating a definite case for the point I'm trying to make.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
There are many different projections you can do. Some people prefer mental projections where they do not want an OOBE. Others prefer to astral travel or go into the 4th density of their minds and go Lucid. From there, they can pop into the astral.

I rarely project off of this planet, but when I do, it is the most incredible experience. I commune with Mother Earth, Our sun and Venus.

One way I can tell if the experience is genuine for me, is if the images come into my mind in full 3D reality. My eyes will adjust as if they are actually viewing depth. And the images move fluidly as if I am looking out of someone else's eyes.

It's a delicate balancing act between sending your intentions into the quantum mind and receiving untainted imagery.

As for OOBE's. I have had limited experience with it. There really is no need for it, if you can mental project. IMHO

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with this.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by manbird12000]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay Electronica

reply to post by togetherwestand

See, the thing is that you can visualize that, seeing yourself. Maybe i just have very good visualization skills, but i can 'get up' and look down at my body. How do i know if thats me visualizing or real?

reply to post by NoahTheSumerian

I really think it's all about attitude. I haven't had many negative expierences *knock on wood*, probably because i go into that dream/OBE/astral state with the attitude of 'when i'm of the light, nothing can harm me. i am of the light'. Sometimes i say that as an affirmation. Believe it to work and it will...

reply to post by manbird12000

so are you saying i am mentally projecting? What i am doing is visualizing myself getting out of bed, walking over to my closet, and crossing through a metaphysical door. Until i reach my door, it is like i am still physical, but in spirit form, if that makes sense. My room looks similiar, but maybe a subtle difference like it being day/night or my fish tank being on, if i am forgetful. Once i cross that door and reach my destination, things start to take on a life for themselves. I feel like i still control what is going on, but things are unfolding by themselves. I do see depth. I can choose to look left or right, and if i shift my awareness back to my body, my physical eyes follow (like REM)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Sounds like you are projecting. It's hard to tell because we can't see or feel your experiences. I recommend to check out the astral forums on the net for further guidance. astralpulse comes to mind.

You don't want someone to tell you that you are not projecting when you probably are. It happened to me and it takes a while to get back on track.

The experiences you describe sounds like you could be mentally projecting. Another poster suggested that you look at your hands to see if it is liquid-like. This is something you do during an OOBE, but during mental projections, you are aware of what is happening.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The real question is how do you know if you are in a dream? There is no astral plane, only dreams. Dreams form around the last thing you were aware of. Most times they build off the last hypnogogic hallucination you were experiencing. The point at which the hypnogogic stage ends and the dream begins is the moment you acquire a dream body.

But sometimes, you skip the hypnogogic stage and enter directly into dreaming. Since the last thing you were aware of was being in bed, you end up with a dream of your, room, your house, or your yard.

An easy test to determine that you are in fact dreaming is to use what I call the second rule of dreaming control. "The more attention you give something, the more related detail it creates." Focus on something intently, zoom in on it with tunnel like vision, and watch as it grows, multiplies, or becomes more intense. Insects are a great focal point for this. The more you focus on insects, the more of them you will see.

You can also cycle through strong emotions and see how each emotion affects your dream. In my opinion, strong emotions are the best way to exert control over dream characters, but strong emotions will also flavor your surroundings.

I don't necessarily disagree with OBE believers, as I personally believe that waking reality is a dream. And dreams are dreams. So anything in between must be a dream as well. Astral Projecting is an unnecessary label that will not aid you in control. It is what it is. People can't be wrong about what they experience, they can only be wrong about the conclusions they draw from those experiences, and calling something astral projecting is most definitely an erroneous conclusion.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by The Cusp]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Sounds like you are referring to Lucid dreaming.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

"There is no astral plane"

Can you give a link to the studies that have confirmed this please?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I believe a good way to tell if you are in the 'astral' realm or if you are simply imagining your experience is this: If you can sit in a chair, close your eyes and then have the experience, open your eyes anstand up and walk away you are probably using your imagination and not really in the astral realm.

Generally speaking the astral realm is achieved when meditation or sleep brings you to a point where your body has calmed and your mind is still aware enough to continue. Many times this happens after the mind initiates sleep paralysis. You can have many different experiences, some good some bad, but when you have these experiences you will know right away what you are experiencing.

If you had no prior knoweldge or experience on this subject you may be shocked when you have an experience like this. You do know, so when a genuine experience happens you will know right away, even during the experience.

You will not question whether it is imagination like a day dream, you will know exactly what is going on.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Hi there Esteay - On reading your post last week I was in agreement with you - no-one can mistake an OOBE for something 'not quite there'... However, I was lying in bed yesterday afternoon (have a chronic lower back condition which requires occasional rest periods), reading a book about the pyramids. I became very drowsy, and put the book down. I folded my hands over my solar plexus, and felt a strange energetic balance in the position (my head and upper body were significantly raised by a pile of pillows).

As I dozed - still fully awake, just relaxing, I very suddenly had what felt like a true OOBE - I was flying, arms forward, through space, with stars all around - it was like being on the forward bow of the Enterprise as it underwent a warp speed 'jump' in Star Trek (please note - I am NOT a trekkie, but do have respect for the shows attempts to push the boundaries of science in TV Land).

The experience shocked the hell out of me, and I 'woke' from it almost immediately, breathing heavily and rapidly, heartbeat racing.

Any ideas? Did I have an (albeit brief) genuine OOBE..? I really felt like I was no longer in the bed, but was in that star field. The brevity is what confuses me - the whole experience lasted around 5 seconds.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I remember very little of dreams. I generally awaken pretty pissed off. Intuitively I beleive that I am angry about being torn away from what ever reality I was experiencing while sleeping. That I'm angry about having to come back to this reality. I think it absurd to think that our soul, our other multi-dimensional selves are doing nothing while we sleep in the 3D reality. Your thoughts?

Namaste.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Klaatumagnum

Anger is a liver blockage so it might be from too much cholesterol usually from alcohol but also from fatty meat. Eat lots of greens to clear out the liver.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I rely on full lotus -- you can't fake the full lotus.

www.mind-energy.net...!-Testimony-of-a-qigong-practitioner-in-the-context-of-parapsychology.html

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Recently, i've been trying to visualize and astral project. I seem to be having success, as i have created an 'environment' i go to to meditate, and sometimes before bed might explore the Earth & the stars. But my question is that how do i know if what i am visualizing and seeing is real and not a figment of my imagination? My goal is to eventually meet with the benevolent ET's in our solar system, but how do i know we are actually really talking and not just something i'm making up with my ego or 'dark side' in my head?

I think it's the same as, how do we know our life here on earth is the real reality?

Anything is possible, which is why this is very confusing. But in the astral/dream world your mind is very powerful, so even if it's a real dimension, it's very hard to tell if your making it up with your mind or not haha.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Klaatumagnum

Yes some mornings when I can just remember a part or two of a dream, i will wake up depressed and upset that I had to come back.

new topics

top topics

join