It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Mason question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hi:

I am interested in becoming a Mason. I already have a Mason that will be talking further with me this weekend.

Someone told me that since I am living with my girlfriend that I shouldn't even bother petitioning.

I know this might be a silly but I have no knowledge and want to know if this is true.

Also what type of question do they ask family - would that involve my parents as well.

Thanks ahead for any advice.

Take it easy

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Mundane Egg]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mundane Egg
Someone told me that since I am living with my girlfriend that I shouldn't even bother petitioning.

I know this might be a silly but I have no knowledge and want to know if this is true.

Also what type of question do they ask family - would that involve my parents as well.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Mundane Egg]

it varies a little depends on what part of the world, never heard of the Girlfriend one.

In the UK you will be asked if your partner is in agreement with you joining thats it. Only to pass off any conflict that might arise in the future. Masonry does not want to come between a man and his partner.

There is only one question that you must answer yes to. " Do you believe in a supreme being".

Any other questions are just to get to know you and for you to get to know the other guys.

There is a rule about not admitting Criminals, but I dont think my speeding fines count.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mundane Egg

Bill is correct. We're Masons, not Quakers!

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Thanks - I appreciate the information.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
hmm... I like the comment about the Quakers Masonic Light. Mundane, aslong as you believe in a supreme being, and have respect for your brothers, you will be okay.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh, plus you have to be male. Sorry, forgot to mention that incase you never knew.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The requirements to be a Mason are:

1. You cannot be an atheist. Christians, Jews and Muslims are Masons and none find any conflict with their religions.

2. You must be mentally incompetent.

3. You cannot be a member of any organization with any intention to overthrow the government.

4. You must be at least 18 years of age.

5. Once accepted into a Lodge, you cannot be divisive. Politics cannot be discussed to the extent that such upsets a member with different ideas. You should be willing to do charitable work and donate to charities. Each Masons must be support of another.

6. As each degree is conferred upon you (first, Entered Apprentice, - second, Fellowcraft - and finally, Master Mason), you cannot tell those secrets to non-Masons under severe penalties. If you can't keep a secret, you don't want to be a Mason.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

[2. You must be mentally incompetent.

Just to pick you up on this 2012, I'm presuming this is a typo!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The girlfriend thing is funny, actually cause thats my situation also, and I was a bit leary about it aswell. But come to find out, since I had my first interview this weekend. The Mason I met is 75 years old, been a Mason for 53 years, and lives with his girlfriend
. He joked about how the other brothers would poke fun at him about living in sin, but they knew and treated his girlfriend no different then any of the wives.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
thanks - got it covered - the male part I mean and believing...

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
2012 listed some good characteristics that many Masons share, but they are not all requirements to become a Mason.

Originally posted by 2012

The requirements to be a Mason are:

1. You cannot be an atheist. Christians, Jews and Muslims are Masons and none find any conflict with their religions.

It is true that within regular Masonry, you cannot be an atheist. You must believe in a Supreme Being of some kind.

2. You must be mentally incompetent.

"Mentally competent" is a requirement in some jurisdictions, but it's a very vague one. What does that mean? Obviously, the clinically insane cannot be made Masons. But what if you've got problems with memory loss, for example? This requirement usually only means that you can understand what's going on.

3. You cannot be a member of any organization with any intention to overthrow the government.

This is absolutely not the case in any jurisdiction of which I am aware. Masonic Lodges have a requirement to be good subjects, as do Masons in general, but there is absolutely no requirement of membership or lack thereof in Lodge. In cases of tyrrany, for example if the gov't was comitting genocide such as in WWII Germany, the Mason has an absolute moral requirement to try to disarm or neutralise those parts of the gov't that are committing the genocidal act, just like every other citizen.

4. You must be at least 18 years of age.

Or 21, in some jurisdictions.

5. Once accepted into a Lodge, you cannot be divisive. Politics cannot be discussed to the extent that such upsets a member with different ideas. You should be willing to do charitable work and donate to charities. Each Masons must be support of another.

This is not strictly true. Divisive behaviour is discouraged within Lodge, and those who insist in being divisive will be removed from Lodge... but Masons are expected to excuse themselves rather than bring divisive behaviour into Lodge. Essentially what I'm trying to say, is that a Mason is allowed to have divisive feelings in his heart, but not bring it into Lodge.

There is absolutelu no requirement that a Mason do any kind of charitable work at all. This, I'm sorry, is a misreading. A Mason's distinguishing virtue is to be charitable, but a Grand Lodge which allows enforced charity work has turned itself from Masonry into a simple service club. The purpose of Lodge (in this sense) is to channel the naturally existing charitable impuleses of the brethren into useful work, not to bind them with manacles of enforced charity.

6. As each degree is conferred upon you (first, Entered Apprentice, - second, Fellowcraft - and finally, Master Mason), you cannot tell those secrets to non-Masons under severe penalties. If you can't keep a secret, you don't want to be a Mason.

This is also, I'm sorry, not true. There are no "severe penalties" delivered to those who choose to forego their honour by revealing what they should not. The candidate may ask the all-Mighty to deliver unto him certain punishments if he does break his obligation, but it would be monstrous and completely opposed to everything taught in Masonry for those penalties to be carried out by some merely human agency.

In other words, any penalties are merely symbolic.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Do you have to have a "sponsor" of some kind, and does a masonic family history (grandfather, great grandfather, etc. help, or make no difference?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Do you have to have a "sponsor" of some kind, and does a masonic family history (grandfather, great grandfather, etc. help, or make no difference?

When you petition to join a lodge 2 brothers MUST vouch for you, this is required and to my knowledge there are no exceptions made. Being bloodline of a former or current Mason in good standing could earn you favoring marks in the eyes of the brethren of that lodge particularly if that family member is or was a member of the lodge you are petitioning to join, other than that No.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I didn't have one. I talked to the Worshipful Master, and Secretary on the phone, once each, then met the Secretary once this last saturday, we spent a little more then an hour talking and touring the lodge. At the end he told me to fill out the application, and he would recommend/sponser me, you need two recommendations on the application, but he said from there someone else would recommend me also.

That is just to get the ball rolling, they still put together a 3 member investigation team to investigate you.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Darktalon]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have been talking to a colleague about joining and he said that he would get the ball rolling for me.

I do know a worthy Matron would that help me out as well?

Thanks I am embarking on a grand adventure ... I hope.

Take it easy

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Darktalon

Regardless to how you obtained 2 sponsers, the fact remains that you are still required to be sponsored by two brothers of the lodge in good standing. If one of the brothers decides to vouch for you based on anothers recomendation that gives you 2 sponsors.

I was vouched for by the Worshipful Master of my lodge yet still had to obtain the sponsorship of another brother because thats Masonic Law.

Be CAUTIOUS in your claims and statments Darktalon, you are not a Mason yet, and even when you become one (assuming that happens) you will be a babie for some time and its best that you watch what you say and do. You wouldn't want to embarass yourself, your lodge or your craft. You'll hear my words clearer after you've been initiated.

Travel safely

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the advice Khonsu, got a bit ahead of myself.

I really ment to say, if you are interested in joining, don't let the fact that you don't know any masons slow you down. I allowed a year to pass, because I was unsure if you needed to know a mason. Masonic Light told me just to send in for information on the lodge in my area, and that they would contact me. They did, and we have begun my application process.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Khonsu
Be CAUTIOUS in your claims and statments Darktalon, you are not a Mason yet, and even when you become one (assuming that happens) you will be a babie for some time and its best that you watch what you say and do. You wouldn't want to embarass yourself, your lodge or your craft. You'll hear my words clearer after you've been initiated.

Heh. Come to the UK. You'll be a baby for decades!!!
Seriously though, Darktalon. Take Khonsu's advice. If you are serious about joining don't spout everything on a website. Take things slow and be patient.
There's no conspiracy involved. It's just that masonry takes a long time to digest and you don't want to be sharing impressions that you might not quite understand yet.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

Originally posted by Khonsu

Heh. Come to the UK. You'll be a baby for decades!!!
Seriously though, Darktalon. Take Khonsu's advice. If you are serious about joining don't spout everything on a website. Take things slow and be patient.
There's no conspiracy involved. It's just that masonry takes a long time to digest and you don't want to be

posted by Gerard
I have only been a mason for 15 years and in the UK I am a mere child. There are many masons who have been in the craft for decades. If nothing else freemasons tend to live to a good ripe old age. It took me 14 months to become a master mason and because of that time' it made me keen to study freemasonary and make a daly advancement of masonic knowledge my goal.

Brother Gerard PM 1316

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Gerard]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

[edit on 16-9-2004 by Tamahu]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join