It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Seal cleared over beating of Iraqi terrorist suspect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

US Navy Seal cleared over beating of Iraqi terrorist suspect

www.telegraph .co.uk

Petty Officer 1st Class Julio Huertas, 28, was found not guilty by a six-man military jury of dereliction of duty by failing to stop a colleague from punching the prisoner, Ahmed Hashim Abed. He was also acquitted on charges of trying to cover up the assault by influencing the testimony of another service member.

In one of the most notorious murders of the war in Iraq, the contractors' burned bodies were dragged through the streets and two were hanged from a bridge over the Euphrates river in the former insurgent hotbed of Fallujah.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
One down and two to go.

I wonder how the prosecution is going to be able to prove the assault took place now?

The original witness to the incident has already had his testimony proven to be false, so why even bother after this? Does anyone here think that these guys would be dumb enough to assault a prisoner in custody?

www.telegraph .co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

Thanks for posting this. Need to keep an eye on for the other two. I don't know though.

I heard that a US Navy guy testified yesterdday that he watched the one Seal punch the jacka-- in the face for no reason. Which, I would debate the whole "no reason" thing. Plenty of reasons-9/11. Should have slit this throat.

This is absolutely insane to begin with. Let alone they are being tried in Iraq and not in the US BUT we are going to try the terrorist in NYC or USA! WTH!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Tried in Iraq???

What the f....?

Bring these boys home at least...these are our sons.

This just does not seem right to me...at all.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Yes they hold military trials in Iraq.

Its not as if they are tried by Iraqis or subjected to Iraqi jails. Pick your jaw up off the floor, its not as bad as your imagination makes it out to be.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
This is absolutely insane to begin with. Let alone they are being tried in Iraq and not in the US BUT we are going to try the terrorist in NYC or USA! WTH!!!!

As stated in the articles, the trial was held in Iraq to allow the punchee the right to testify.

I can't imagine why his testimony would be considered in this case, since he is already accused of killing Americans. But since the other witness was already disproven, this was all the prosecution had.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by anon72

As stated in the articles, the trial was held in Iraq to allow the punchee the right to testify.

I can't imagine why his testimony would be considered in this case, since he is already accused of killing Americans. But since the other witness was already disproven, this was all the prosecution had.

Suspects are innocent and allowed to testify.. if the local cops re-arranged your face, would your expect your testimony to be automatically disregarded?

Lets just dive into the pool of unapologetic fascism and exclude all suspects from telling their side of the story.. according to the GOP death merchants the founding fathers and all the rights they fought for are stale pre-911 thinking.. to be ignored as un-american in our post 9/11 brave new world order.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
These guys didn't have to go to trial - they chose to - in order to clear their names.

They could have settled with a "notation" in their file...

Looks like they may have made the right choice based on what they believe - and hopefully they made a point too.

/sp.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Good news,
The second SEAL has also been found not guilty.

LINK

Two down, one to go.

Is anyone really surprised by this?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Three for three.

Will anyone ever admit that they actually wanted this trial to occur?

LINK

Now that this is done, maybe we can get back to work?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It is a sad time for America when 3 Heroes are made to defend themselves for risking their lives to bring an individual to justice. It is even more pathetic that there are individuals who disagree with the non-guilty verdicts.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I listened to Marcus Luttrell explain what usually happens when they capture and have to control and move these combatants to and from jails. The Taliban have trained their men to spit, pee,defecate, bite anything to annoy their captures and accost them and make claims of abuse even when no abuse happened. After you've been pissed on you might smack the SOB to stop them. If that's abuse I would hope they just start eliminating the problem by not bothering to try to take them alive.

For anyone who thinks I'm blood thirsty? So friggin be it!! I care NOT!
Zindo

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

For anyone who thinks I'm blood thirsty? So friggin be it!! I care NOT!
Zindo

I wonder if the poor little freedom fighter was Mirandized before he was arrested?

Yeah, I got his right to remain silent right here!

new topics

top topics

join