It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who took this photo on the moon ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
there almost looks like a face above the astronaut standing in the reflection. maybe he took the picture.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by Identified

Well then, my next question is this: If the reflection "mirrors" the image, should the astronaut not be in a direction where he couldn't take a photo?

He is in the direction. Notice the largest of the crosses on the picture. The largest cross show the center of the frame. The frame IS NOT centered on the man with the visor reflection but slightly more to the right.

With the visor being convex this leaves images distorted as to where they are in relation to the reflective surface.

Bend the CD ROM. And doesn't everything around you distort?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blood Eagle
After looking at this photo I personally believe that the astronaut in the reflection did indeed take the photo. The angle seems about right, there is one picture, and a source of the picture is visible in the photo as well. Case closed.

I completely agree. What I think it boils down to now is people understanding science and applying it to the photo. If you don't really understand reflection then I can see where it would be confusing.

But this can all be easily replicated in your own house with a convex mirror and a flashlight.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
before i add this, i want to state that i am pathetically bad at physics and therefor have less than a basic knowlage of how shadows act in reflections.

But if i am correct, in the reflection provided by the visor, shouldnt the shadow of the man "taking the picture" be pointing in the opposite direction of the shadow of the main man in the image?

this may be a rediculous question, but still......any crittical thinking is good thinking.

will

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hackbart

WHATS HAPPENED TO THE EDUCATION SYSTEM AROUND THE WORLD

In the main picture looking at the astronaut the shadow is to his left
so light coming from his right hand side.

Now if YOU were taking the picture THE sun would be coming from your LEFT HAND SIDE AND THE SHADOW WOULD BE TO YOUR RIGHT

NOW stand in front of a MIRROR YOUR REFLECTION IS THE ASTRONAUT standing at the rock that YOU ARE TAKING THE PICTURE OFF.

Now lift your left arm over your head and point to your right that represent
your shadow direction SO IS THE SHADOW IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willuminazi
before i add this, i want to state that i am pathetically bad at physics and therefor have less than a basic knowlage of how shadows act in reflections.

But if i am correct, in the reflection provided by the visor, shouldnt the shadow of the man "taking the picture" be pointing in the opposite direction of the shadow of the main man in the image?

this may be a rediculous question, but still......any crittical thinking is good thinking.

will

As explained previously. The shadow is going in a different direction. One is going northeast and the other is southeast. Just as it should.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

All i can say is WOW... I see things too! Not sure if it's good or bad

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You did not read my edited post, where I said: "He'd be looking in the same direction as the Astronaut "he photographed".... How is that possible?"

If his shadow is opposite - due to the "mirror" effect, then so is his body! Unless you have some new found laws of dynamics??

[edit on 22-4-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek

You did not read my edited post, where I said: "He'd be looking in the same direction as the Astronaut "he photographed".... How is that possible?"

If his shadow is opposite - due to the "mirror" effect, then so is his body! Unless you have some new found laws of dynamics??

[edit on 22-4-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

It is a reflection. So he is looking in the same direction as the man with the visor. How are you not understanding this? Look in the mirror. Face slightly to YOUR RIGHT. Does not your reflection appear to be looking over its LEFT shoulder?

So you can plainly see the reflected man is looking to the right in the same direction as the visor man.

BTW if you edit a post after I have read it then I have no way knowing you did so.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Does anyone have one of these in their yard? Would be nice to get some comparison photos. See the globe has the same characteristics as the astronauts visor and could be used to try to reproduce the photos (for those under the influence of mushrooms).

Also, does anyone know if the original image is cropped? The person taking the picture could have been focusing somewhere else and upon NASA cropping the image to center on the astronaut caused the problems.

[edit on 4/22/2010 by Kellter]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The people out there in the World who are so intent on finding some "smoking gun proof" af NASA fakery, it boggles the mind.

Someone asked earlier, and I ditto: "What has happened to the education system in general, and to the current younger generation in particular?"

Critical thinking, and real-world experience seem to be flying out the windows...

Take a look at this actual, real photo (Unless someone wishes to claim IT is somehow "faked" for some unknown reason....):

Taken in a place nearly as desolate as the Moon -- the Antarctic. But, at least there is air to breathe, there!

The woman in the photo is holding a mirror ball. Provided a similar effect to the Astronaut's EVA suit visor.

That photo should go a long way to explain just HOW a convex reflective surface will alter your perceptions of perspective, and relative sizes.

Stuff that most people (I always believed) knew rather instinctively, after just a few years of life and experience.

I keep suggesting this, doubt if many ever take me up on it, but go out and READ some BOOKS! There are a lot of darned good ones out there, and they cover the Space Program, the actual facts, (not the usual garbage that is sometimes seen infecting the Internet).

Since this is about Apollo 17, I recommend Gene Cernan's biography (I just finished reading it), title is "Last Man On The Moon"

Go check out your local library, you can borrow books there FOR FREE!

Even today, in the 21st Century!!

And, always judge what you see on the Web with a critical eye......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of Internet, there ARE some gems of good info, out there. Found this whilst doing the 'googleing'...

www.physicsclassroom.com...

Besides some other, very basic (and sometimes sorely needed, here at ATS) science, it discusses the convex mirror physics as well....

[edit on 22 April 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kellter

Using the Reseau crosses on the photo you can see that the photo has not been cropped. Also the center of the frame is just to the lower right of what I guess is a survey tripod.

The large cross shows the center of the photo. The crosses are 5 x 5.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Can somebody explain to me this suposed reflection? Is it, alien face?
It is possible in some software to colorize that NASA photo?

img339.imageshack.us...

NASA Original spaceflight.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 6205LH
Can somebody explain to me this suposed reflection? Is it, alien face?
It is possible in some software to colorize that NASA photo?

img339.imageshack.us...

NASA Original spaceflight.nasa.gov...

It just a reflection of rocks. Shadows and all.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Hi WW I found the same shot on the net what I cant believe is the fact some on here CANT figure out what side the shadow should be in the Helmet reflection thats why I suggested a couple of post above they stand in front of a mirror and follow the instructions.

People on here talk about going futher into space sometime in the future WE will have to rely on ALIENS looking at some of the sharp minds on here.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

I am shaking my head at this thread.
Really. You suggested they use a mirror and try to follow your directions. I even thought maybe these folks don't have a ready mirror but could use a Cd-Rom. Heck I think someone else even suggested a spoon.

I am not sure what is stopping people from understanding this photo and how mirrors work.

Am I the only one who had to find the radius of curvature of convex and concave mirrors in math class?

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Identified]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Identified

I am shaking my head at this thread.
Really. You suggested they use a mirror and try to follow your directions. I even thought maybe these folks don't have a ready mirror but could use a Cd-Rom. Heck I think someone else even suggested a spoon.

I am not sure what is stopping people from understanding this photo and how mirrors work.

I suggested a spoon as well a good few posts ago what will happen but when they figure out there mistake re the shadow direction they wont answer the post

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I am beginning to think that must be the truth. :-)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with the picture.

Try placing a shiny cooking pot on a table a foot away 30 degrees to the left. Then put a box of matches in front of you. You will find that the box of matches are reflected in much the same way as the other astronaut in the photo, except in 2 dimensions rather than 3(because the pot is not spherical).

With regard to the shadows, remember that stone is very reflective of light, and there is much more light on the moon than on the earth. Shadows can look very different on the moon because an object is illuminated by the sun, but also by reflected sunlight from the ground and rock formations.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by webpirate

You are viewing a reflection. He is turned slightly to his right, placing the reflecting surface to his left. The angle looks about right.

1. I second this quote. You also have to consider it's a reflection on a convex surface. The angle will always look odd due to the nature of the surface and the way the light will reflect off of a surface like that.

2. I don't quite get what your saying. There's the subject and there's the reflected one. That's only two. Is there supposed to be a third?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join