It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concealed-Carry Law Applies to Campuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Concealed-Carry Law Applies to Campuses

www.humanevents.com

So Altman sued, arguing that Colorado's Concealed Carry Act also applies to universities. The trial court dismissed the case, but the Colorado Court of Appeals last week sided with Altman, holding that the university is subject to the same concealed-carry laws as the rest of the state and sending the case back to the trial court.

The decision came as a significant victory for gun-rights advocates, who have long contended that universities are actually safer when people other than psychotic killers carry firearms on campus. Still, that argument has rarely prevailed, given that the vast majo
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
content.usatoday.co m
www.thedenverdailynews.com

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I always figured if a school was private it could set the rule as it saw fit but if the school was public or state then it should accept the rule of the land.

"Any campus gun ban has to be revisited and repealed in light of this court decision," said Jim Manley, an attorney with Rocky Mountain Legal Foundation who represented Altman, two other students, and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

This will be amazingly interesting if it gets to the Supreme Court. It could potentially end the bans in every public place including state and federal buidings.

www.humanevents.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Having guns allowed on campuses and in federal buildings could be a good thing or a bad thing. Good in that it won't just be the crazies who have them. Bad in that it would make it easier for the crazies to get them in to begin with. I'm all for gun rights, but this is kinda iffy to me.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That line is so good I have to use it as a signature.

I think that finally the higher courts are realizing that they got the shaft on checks and balances. That the only way to allow the people to maintain freedom is by judicial reasoning versus the political and personal ideologies from the executive and legislative branches.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Funny you should say that at a time when they want to put a politician on the SCOTUS rather than a student of law or a judge.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Seeing ALL the school shootings, I believe its a professor(s) or teachers right to carry.

Lets face facts here.
Imagine how many shootings would be stopped if the teachers were armed.

But then you'd have the people saying, "School is NO prison".
Blah, Blah, Blah.
I can imagine kids wouldn't be so idiotic in schools too if the teachers were armed.

This will be interesting.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Public Universities are considered State-Owned buildings and they usually do not allow weapons. State and Federal Parks, courtrooms, etc.

In Florida they changed the law to allow weapons on campuses.

In Federal Parks the ban expired and was not renewed to my knowledge.

I just recently found out that I am able to carry my weapon at work in the state building as a state employee. I had to alert my supervisor, and they had the right to refuse my request, but according to the state's lawyers, they cannot refuse the request without a "lawful" reason, such as I am a threat, or unstable, etc.

Therefore, I now carry concealed, at work, in my State Office! There are 2 of us that have jumped through the correct hoops so far. None of the other employees know that we carry, but I think it is very important that at least some of us are armed, especially with the attacks on government buildings becoming more and more common!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Perhaps we will see this someday soon in Ohio. Ohio only passed ccw laws back in 2004 but they are catching on quickly with the general populace. For anyone who has ever been on the campus of OSU and its surrounding neighborhoods you would understand why someone would actually want to protect themselves both on and off campus.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Bad in that it would make it easier for the crazies to get them in to begin with. I'm all for gun rights, but this is kinda iffy to me.

Easier! Other than Government buildings with metal detectors there is nothing stopping someone from carrying a gun. I spent about seven years on various college campuses and never even saw a metal detector, unless there was a concert. What these bans did was to make it easier on the criminals who would wait just off campus, knowing that their targets were not armed.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Perhaps we will see this someday soon in Ohio. Ohio only passed ccw laws back in 2004 but they are catching on quickly with the general populace. For anyone who has ever been on the campus of OSU and its surrounding neighborhoods you would understand why someone would actually want to protect themselves both on and off campus.

I would love to see this also, but, I fear it wont be for a while. We're only just getting our restaurant carry bill up to speed. The next change I believe people are looking for, is to prohibit employers from banning handguns in their employees parking lots. That would be a nice change

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Just because hey are politicians doesn't mean that they are complete idiots. I am sure those in the game have been watching these "radical" judges for a long, long time.

In fact, how many times have we heard the phrases "legislating from the bench" or "activist judges"? In every case, except from general parroting by talking heads, it originates from a politician whose political views were just stepped on from the courts.

In yet another one of my missed threads, you can see politics in action as DC's non voting representative to the House blocked a bill that would have given her a vote because of language that would have opened up DC'd draconian gun laws like the Supreme Court upheld in 2008.

Lawyer Politicians can't legislate them away and can't group up to kick them out

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Bad in that it would make it easier for the crazies to get them in to begin with. I'm all for gun rights, but this is kinda iffy to me.

Easier! Other than Government buildings with metal detectors there is nothing stopping someone from carrying a gun. I spent about seven years on various college campuses and never even saw a metal detector, unless there was a concert. What these bans did was to make it easier on the criminals who would wait just off campus, knowing that their targets were not armed.

I have always carried a gun, legal or otherwise since I was 17 years old. The government ban took a lower priority than my personal safety. On the campus of FSU, I carried my gun 99% of the time before the law changed. After the Virginia Tech shootings, everyone I know started carrying their gun, and the law changed shortly thereafter.

Over the past 2 weeks, a grad student was kidnapped, robbed, killed, and dumped along I-10. There have been 5 or 6 strong arm robberies at gun or knife point on campus. All of these have happened at night, and often with multiple asssailants. Believe me, I am glad the law changed, but the law never affected whether or not I was carrying!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Having guns allowed on campuses and in federal buildings could be a good thing or a bad thing. Good in that it won't just be the crazies who have them. Bad in that it would make it easier for the crazies to get them in to begin with. I'm all for gun rights, but this is kinda iffy to me.

Well I understand that completely. You could think of it like this though. Maybe it will act as a deterrent for crazies from doing crazy things.

I mean you see a school shooting, the only ones with guns are the crazies. You think the crazies will be so crazy when there are people shooting back at them? I don't think so.

IMHO, this will make the crazies think twice before going crazy on campus.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaModYou think the crazies will be so crazy when there are people shooting back at them? I don't think so.

At the very least they wouldnt be allowed to be so crazy for very long.

Columbine went on for a solid half hour. Cho only went for 15 minutes or so, If you count the first he shot before 7 AM he was walking around for several hours.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Maybe it will act as a deterrent for crazies from doing crazy things.

I mean you see a school shooting, the only ones with guns are the crazies. You think the crazies will be so crazy when there are people shooting back at them? I don't think so.

IMHO, this will make the crazies think twice before going crazy on campus.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by DaMod]

When confusion reigns and all hell has just broken loose - will it be so easy to distinguish between the good guy and the bad guy ?

Will there be deaths due to `friendly fire` ?
The crazies may not always be wearing trench-coats .

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

When the "crazy" lets loose and everyone who isnt a "crazy" (not attacking or expecting an attack) runs or drops to the ground identifying the guy standing there with a gun aimed at you and at everyone running away as the "crazy" isnt a very difficult thing to do.

Basic threat identification. People do it everyday and most likely dont even know they are doing it.

The "friendly-fire" myth is just that.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As a long-time concealed carry advocate and as the father of a student who is now a senior at Virginia Tech I am very glad to hear this news. The student resolve after the shooting to NOT let that horrible event change things has been amazing to say the least. Allowing students to carry on campus would be a great boost for morale and student safety. I am inclined to think VA tech is somehow involved in gov psi-ops programs, too many horrible criminals have connections there. Just recently they convicted another oriental student of beheading his wannabe girlfriend who refused his advances. Something is very suspicious about that place.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Easier! Other than Government buildings with metal detectors there is nothing stopping someone from carrying a gun.

That was kinda my point. If guns are allowed in federal buildings there either won't be metal detectors or the crazies can just walk right through with them. How long would it last before someone did something stupid that was then used as an excuse to tighten gun laws and make it harder for the law-abiding citizens to get them?

That's really my big concern here. Any time something bad happens and a gun is involved, it's used as an example by the anti-gun lobby for why people shouldn't be able to have them or why it should be harder to get them. I'd just hate to see something like this later on used as a reason to further vilify guns themselves instead of the idiots that use them to commit crimes.

What these bans did was to make it easier on the criminals who would wait just off campus, knowing that their targets were not armed.

It gave them more targets to choose from sure. Had there been no ban they would've just picked a different target.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

As I have mentioned in other posts, I carried the entire time I was in college. Right after the VT shootings one of my professors asked me if I was carrying. I replied "yes" and he said "good". I used to have people waiting for me to go out to the parking lot after night classes because they knew I carried.

new topics

top topics

join