It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"South Park" airs censored episode after threat

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If you watch the episode again they indirectly showed Muhammed as a squirrel. Also Randy drew him as a stick man and showed it, surely this is also against the Muslim's wishes?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
deleted post. could get image of Mohammed to show up

[edit on 23-4-2010 by palg1]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
i watched this episode the other day and read a few of the posts. this second episode was to show how stupid censorship is, the end where kyle, jesus then santa give their lesson of the episode speech all of them were a solid beep then kyle said "yea".

i've been watching south park for since i was 8, 22 now, this was a joke for ratings.

also this could be the msm trying to get people pissed at muslims

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm sorry if this has been said before but I think this is episode we were meant to see all along ,the bleeping was put there to make a point.

The south park writers like to have a joke at everyone's expence (even south park fans),the censorship and bleeping was put there not by the network but by the south park creators.There is no uncensored episode this is what they made.

Didn't think it was that funny , but I got the point they were making.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by relief_pitcher
i watched this episode the other day and read a few of the posts. this second episode was to show how stupid censorship is, the end where kyle, jesus then santa give their lesson of the episode speech all of them were a solid beep then kyle said "yea".

i've been watching south park for since i was 8, 22 now, this was a joke for ratings.

I agree and I think we made the same point,

You got there before me ,I haven't read the whole thread so am going back to the start to see if anyone else picked up on this.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmcefc

You got there before me ,I haven't read the whole thread so am going back to the start to see if anyone else picked up on this.

OK once again the censorship was not a joke, unless Matt and Trey told CC to take responsibility as part of the joke.
Source:
South Park censored after threat of fatwa over Muhammad episode

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicious Jones

Originally posted by dmcefc

OK once again the censorship was not a joke, unless Matt and Trey told CC to take responsibility as part of the joke.
Source:
South Park censored after threat of fatwa over Muhammad episode

Well then I think matt and trey told CC to take responsibilty as part of the joke,

It was about censorship ,the blatant bleeping at the end made it so obvious.I think if you take away the censorship and bleeping the episode dosen't make much sense.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Erm, those that believe that episode 201 aired unaltered and as planned by the creators.

1. Is the web site and interviews with the owner of the site also in on the joke, or was that simply coincidental?

2. Why would T and M place blame on comedy central and why would comedy central accept it?

3. South Park picks on everyone, I think they have far more defamatory episodes about Jesus (but that may be my bias). That said, they have NEVER launched a campaign against any group, it is simply cartoon satire. If they had originally intended for the episode to air in the fashion that it did, I think they would have cleared it up, and if their point was to illustrate that censorship sucks as opposed to actually being censored I think they would stated that in their press release.

If it wouldn't be so damn boring, next weeks episode should be a black screen with the word censored on it. That would be a statement.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Knowing the sense of humour that Trey Parker has, I'd say that this was done intentionally, as a satirical joke, as the OP suggested.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
Knowing the sense of humour that Trey Parker has, I'd say that this was done intentionally, as a satirical joke, as the OP suggested.

While I did suggest that it doesn't seem to be the case.

Death to 'South Park'?

wow, had some trouble with that link.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Vicious Jones]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
its just a TV show.....do you really think that is more important than religion, or even politics? sorry, but its TV- like daytime soap operas.....
who really cares? watching it is a waste of time and talking about watchng it..........come on already!!
as Christ said: "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

They are fundamentalist Muslims man, they don't have any sense of humor. They just bomb.

Love South Park, watched them since the beginning. One of the sharpest shows on the idiot box.

link   
having read the whole thread, and a long time SP fan, I'm left with the following summation:

1. South Park's creators are equal-opportunity insulters. They constantly seek the edge of what makes us all squirm.

2. I think we need to differente between those that threatened Matt & Trey from the whole of Islam. Inasmuch as "people" who kill in the name of Christian principles, they are not appointed as agents of the religion, but pervert the ideals of the religion to acheive their own agenda.

3. To be respectful of a different culture/religion's ideas is a good thing, however it is important to also not subjugate an area's own cultural and religious customs in favor of proponents of another's simply because a few demand it, accompanied with threats of violence.

4. Those that issued the threats did more to cause viewing of this episode than anything else they could have done. Hot and cold running irony.

link   

Originally posted by IandEye
its just a TV show.....do you really think that is more important than religion, or even politics? sorry, but its TV- like daytime soap operas.....
who really cares? watching it is a waste of time and talking about watchng it..........come on already!!

Well seeing as many religions teach faith and a specific line of thought, South Park amongst many TV shows actually makes one question things soooooo.... yes I do think it is important.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Well, my first reaction is:

"So much for the Religion of Peace!"

And of course, someone looking for a few stars would respond and say,

"Just because a few do it, doesn't mean they represent the entire religion"

Oh really?

How many more Muslims have to act this way before its no longer considered "a few" to you people?

Why have no religious leaders stepped forward and condemned this?

Remember when Ali was in trouble and the whole world was coming down on him for his private life outside the ring?

What happened?

That money hungry P.O.S. Muslim leader publicly announced that Ali was no longer allowed to practice Islam.

So a guy cheats on his wife (though, bad, i agree) and you publicly denounce him.

Another group of guys threatens to kill someone over a cartoon, and you keep quiet?

They're just like any other mainstream religion. Using the word of God to spread their own hateful ways. No matter which God you believe in, none of this is ever acceptable.

Religion of Peace? My ass.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Well seeing as many religions teach faith and a specific line of thought, South Park amongst many TV shows actually makes one question things soooooo.... yes I do think it is important.

the thing is- the Islamists should understand that tis is just a TV show and is not to be taken seriously (especially South Park!!)
no offense, but if it takes a TV show to make you question things........

maybe you don't see it, but TV shows create cults of personality and take people's ability to discern truth in reality. "Make-believe" is a very powerful concept. you're not just pretending, you are actually making yourself believe. i know i'm old-fashioned and have always hated being programmed by the TV, but i also know that to get mad about something that doesn't even involve you is futile and self-defeating.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

the thing is- the Islamists should understand that tis is just a TV show and is not to be taken seriously (especially South Park!!)
no offense, but if it takes a TV show to make you question things........

maybe you don't see it, but TV shows create cults of personality and take people's ability to discern truth in reality. "Make-believe" is a very powerful concept. you're not just pretending, you are actually making yourself believe. i know i'm old-fashioned and have always hated being programmed by the TV, but i also know that to get mad about something that doesn't even involve you is futile and self-defeating.

Maybe I'm not following everything your saying, but I can agree with cults of personality etc. I too hate the TV. I watch CNN for #s and giggles, the fact that I like Rick Sanchez out of all the reporters should show I don't take news seriously most of the time, I watch Lost due to the fact it is the most unpredictable show... I think its a horrible piece of nonsense but I find not knowing anything and not caring more entertaining than getting emotionally involved with shows where I can guess what will happen each episode. And I watch South Park because they flame everyone and show just how ridiculous this #show of a world is. I don't need SP to make me question things but they due a great job of highlighting issues people could be questioning. So where do we stand now, Free speech vs fundamentalist dogma of some sort or something along that line, I feel like that involves me seeing as I like the whole free speech thing. Very touchy subject overall, but you cant just push it under the rug and go along your way, this issue will not put itself to bed.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
i HAVE got to say that

"revenge is a dish best served.........chili" is the funniest joke i've ever heard on that show, and there have been some funny moments.
i think that line could be the height of that show.....

[edit on 23-4-2010 by IandEye]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
If you watch the episode again they indirectly showed Muhammed as a squirrel. Also Randy drew him as a stick man and showed it, surely this is also against the Muslim's wishes?

Good points.

If this wasn't intentional then why would they show him as a squirrel (although to be honest I didn't catch that part) Why did'nt they black out the stick figure? a stick figure is OK but construction paper circles aren't? How detailed does a drawing have to be before it's considered Mohammad? And isn't that exactly the question they wanted us to all ask?

In the first episode of the story they made a a joke about how you couldn't even show just his feet. This is interesting because in the second episode there were several times when the black box over Mohammad did not cover his feet. Seems strange that they did exactly the thing they said they wouldn't be able to do.

And ,YES, the idea that Comedy Central was in on the joke is not at all out of the question. People, artists, and companys do this sort of thing to drum up publicity and to gain attention all the time.

But again I'm not exactly convinced either way

And for everyone in this thread saying things about how just because you can make fun of something doesn't mean you should and what not, I suggest you watch the episodes. They really didn't make fun of him at all.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
reply to post by Vicious Jones

does freedom of speech grant you the right to directly insult , ?

----

in my opinion southpark should be put off the airwaves and be made in to a 3 year university study course, its just a trashy sitcom which rides the waves of foul language with little or non of own ingenuity as far as story telling goes.

I would like to agree with you as a parent who had walked in on his teenage son and nephew laughing at the South Park episodes. Unfortunatley all of the seasons are on Netflix so they pretty much have watched them all.

However, I will not agree with your point. Why? Because I do not believe that the show is only foul language and no ingenuity. I believe that the show actually sheds a lot of light on the pathetic 'Politcally correct' world we live in now. They are never afraid to tackle the subjects that are supposed to be taboo.

It just sucks that they gave in to the extremes of a religious group.

As for the first part of the post. Don't know if that is your question or a quoted one the way it is presented.

To answer it, freedom of speech is protected when it comes to rudeness. Then again, you must ask yourself this. What is rude? Because what you deem as rude may or may not be rude to me. Or to the next person down the street.

I am not a huge fan. I haven't seen all of the episodes (primarily because of the language you mentioned). But they should be allowed to present their show and their humor. You see, that's why it is called 'fiction'. If one person or a group of people are small minded enough to take offense to it then it just goes to show how narrow minded they are.

Also, i would like to point out that I have a few Muslim friends that thought it was funny. Of course they didn't like the idea of their prophet's image being represented like that but they are not part of an extreme mosque. I'm sure their head would probably say otherwise but they are at least open minded enough to realize that it is comedy.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join