It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did people in the bible live so long?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The people lived longer to begin with because sin had only just entered the creation. Over the generations sin reduces the life span of people as it corrupts their genetic code and also corrupts the world around them.

Also I have done much research into the book of Genesis and I have come to the conclusion that there was a water canopy surrounding the world before it had ever rained. This would cut out so much of the sun's and cosmic radiation; probably slowing down the effects of ageing.

For the people who say the bible is just "fiction", how do you explain the fact that the bible has endured all these years virtually exactly the same as it was originally written? We have hundreds of old manuscripts and scrolls of the books of the bible and they are 95% the same (word for word) as the bible we have today? Compare that to the Illiad, we have only a few old copies, none dated closely to the suspected date of writing and they are only similar. The more you study and read and love the bible (in a prayerful way) the more layers you can peel off it, like an onion; and the more you realise it MUST have been written from outside our space-time dimension. It trully is God-breathed, inspired by the Holy Spirit.

I have little to no patience for people who will not even consider it as an option. As a born again christian (with a BSc and MSc in Chemistry!) I know that everything must be patiently, thoughtfully considered before rejection. We should never, ever, take someone else's word for it, we must think rationally and thoughfully. We must also do our own research to prove whether these things be so (acts 17:11). Reject the gospel by all means, but at least look at it objectively first. God will bless the diligent searcher and thinker.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Ummm...it's because the bible is made up! It's not real! It's a collection of stories, fables wives tales and propaganda!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
this thing is 19 pages long. ugh.

anyway, did anyone mention that the ancient Semites (that's Jews and Arabs) used a LUNAR calendar in ancient times.

so that means that any of those crazy numbers can usually be corrected by dividing the number by 12.

900 years old = 75 years old.
see?.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaTherion

You have to read the 19 pages. We already covered the Lunar calendar scenario. The Lunar age method doesn't fit because the antediluvian character Mahalaleel would have had his first child, Jared, around 5 1/2 years of age.

Genesis 5:15 reads

"And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared."

65/12=5.42 years

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

oh, well.

it was an interesting theory anyway.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It seems that no one is bothering to consider a very simple and likely reason as to why they lived so long.

They were the original, earlier humans. Their genes and DNA were perfect. It's been a LONG time since then. The humans of today are very tainted. Genetic drift, recessive genes, disease, etc. It makes perfect biological sense for the lifespan of an organism to decrease as its genetic makeup becomes corrupted. Adam and co did not have such imperfections. Over time though, things have been introduced into the human line that has plagued us and made us weaker on a cellular level.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

wait, that makes no sense. if we've been facing these problems for generations, evolution dictates that we would evolve adaptations and mutations to solve the problems.

if your theory is such that the longer a genotype exists, the more it degenerates, then why the hell are crocodiles not all diseased and weak and die in the egg?

they ahve a few million years on us.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
" Some critics claim that the 900 years of life mentioned in the Bible were not literal years. They claim that back then people counted each month as a year. They claim that you have to take the age given in the Bible and divide by 12 months.

This is wrong for many reasons. The Bible tells us how old the patriarchs were when their children were born. Cainan was 70 when his son was born. If you divided the age by 12, then that means he would have had a child at 5 years old. - This is impossible. " quote from link. anything to the contrary of that?
www.angelfire.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Because the bible is fiction. Absolutley no truth to it

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by riggs2099

And so are the three branches of the United States Government.

1. Executive (President/King)
2. Legislative (Congress/Lawgivers)
3. Judicial (Courts)

They picked this three branched government idea from the Bible book of Isaiah, specifically Isaiah 33:22.

"For the LORD is our Judge, the LORD is our Lawgiver and the LORD is our King; he will save us."

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

no truth in it? there is alot of truth in it. not to say that every word in the bible is true, just that the basic morals and principles are most definitely correct. love your neighbor as yourself and so on......if everyone lived by the teachings in the bible, the world would be alot better.....but this is clearly not the case. before you say there is no truth in something, maybe you should take the time to read it first, or continue talking about something you have no idea about and look like a fool. it is your choice. and that is my opinion. peace

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
The people lived longer to begin with because sin had only just entered the creation. Over the generations sin reduces the life span of people as it corrupts their genetic code and also corrupts the world around them.

Also I have done much research into the book of Genesis and I have come to the conclusion that there was a water canopy surrounding the world before it had ever rained. This would cut out so much of the sun's and cosmic radiation; probably slowing down the effects of ageing.

For the people who say the bible is just "fiction", how do you explain the fact that the bible has endured all these years virtually exactly the same as it was originally written? We have hundreds of old manuscripts and scrolls of the books of the bible and they are 95% the same (word for word) as the bible we have today? Compare that to the Illiad, we have only a few old copies, none dated closely to the suspected date of writing and they are only similar. The more you study and read and love the bible (in a prayerful way) the more layers you can peel off it, like an onion; and the more you realise it MUST have been written from outside our space-time dimension. It trully is God-breathed, inspired by the Holy Spirit.

I have little to no patience for people who will not even consider it as an option. As a born again christian (with a BSc and MSc in Chemistry!) I know that everything must be patiently, thoughtfully considered before rejection. We should never, ever, take someone else's word for it, we must think rationally and thoughfully. We must also do our own research to prove whether these things be so (acts 17:11). Reject the gospel by all means, but at least look at it objectively first. God will bless the diligent searcher and thinker.

thats about what i was going to say. basically because sin spreaded he connection between God and man further apart so in turn, the life span of humans reduced. but even today people should still be living to at least 125 but because of so much sin going on today its not like it was a couple thousand years ago.

the Bible isnt a collection of fake made up stories. im also a born again christian and based on my personal experiences and faith in my beliefs i know it is correct and accurate. if you understand it and interpet the scriptues the RIGHT way i think it would make more sense to more people but thats were a GOOD Pastor or Bishop or Whoever teaches you comes in. its hard to interpet the bible yourself and recieve a full understanding of everything it means.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

There is ABSOLUTLEY not truth to the stories in the bible. It is all FICTION, yes it has some stuff in it that people should follow. I was speaking of the stories themselves not what it teaches. Kinda wierd that someone with the name of pureevil would stand up for the bible.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by riggs2099]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I have always wondered the same exact thing. I havnt done any research, as you apparently have, but my own conclusion is how gross and polluted the world has gotten over time.

back in the days of Christ, they didnt have fried foods and pills to shove down your throat. The air was literally pure.
These things today take a bigger tole on us then we all realize. Its crazy, If you were to go to the mountains for maybe...6 months and live off berries and water alone, then come back down to where ever the heck you are, you could run a marathon.

They were just cleaner is all

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

reply to post by pureevil81

There is ABSOLUTLEY not truth to the stories in the bible. It is all FICTION, yes it has some stuff in it that people should follow. I was speaking of the stories themselves not what it teaches. Kinda wierd that someone with the name of pureevil would stand up for the bible.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by riggs2099]
whats in a name? speaking of stories themselves, it does have truth.there is some things in the bible that are kinda ridiculous to read, but is that really the purpose.....truth pertaining to wars that happened and archaeology backs it up, look up archaeology and the bible and see what comes up. there are truth in some stories, contrary to what you might say....but anyway were going off topic, it is not my intent to debate you.....peace my friend.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
not only that. someones account name doesnt always reflect that person or something about them. some people put meaning behind them some dont. you dont know their reason so dont judge. they already said they were a christian and theyre standing up for what they believe in.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by GriBiT

If you don't take the literal account on the first chapter of the Bible--about 7 days--what part do you take literally? And, so God made the flowers and trees, etc., on the 3rd period of time...but the sun was made on the 4th day--or period as you say. How long are plants suppose to survive without sunlight?!? And are we suppose to work for six 'periods of time' and rest for one 'period of time'? It just doesn't make sense.
For your information: The word for 'day' in the original Hebrew text means a regular 24 hour day!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Murcielago

Uh...what can science prove that the Bible can not? Science, among other qualifications must be REPEATABLE and OBSERVABLE. So we--you and I--can not prove that either Creation or Evolution is Science. It's not. It takes faith. Your evolution atheism is a religion too, you know.
So you believe in the big bang.. I believe in Creation. You have to believe in eternal matter I believe in a eternal God. Take your pick.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
well in the bible when people lived 900+ years - what was a year? We say year from a translation but in historical terms how long has a year been 365 days? A year then could be a moon cycle or some other period of time like a week or a month that we just translated from documents into year????

I was just doing some research on aging and came across this - in truth no one really knows why we age - there are a lot of very good theories and we do know a good part of aging is genetic.

en.wikipedia.org...

If noah did really live 900+ years and i had to make an educated "guess" id say that genetics have changed as well as environmental issues - it may be as simple as we get more solar radiation today than before and/or microbes and viruses have evolved that attack out body

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Basically the reason we don't live long anymore. Is because Adam and Eve were Annunaki. And they were banished here to a prison called The Garden of Eden. Adam and eve got imtimidated one day by humans and mated with them. After coming to visit them a Jehova(It is not a name but a rank) was furious and said they had to stay on earth.

Adam, after having a human offspring. When out and just had kids of his own blood. But the jehova didn't care and so they stayed on earth forever.

Annunaki live for 1000s of years and are very good at Manipulating DNA. They are 12 stranded beings.

So basically we are descendants of a super race. Mixed with slave dna.

The chart you show is of people who are half bloods. And that are mating with Human Slaves throughout history killing their genes.

If anyone wants to read. www.xeeatwelve.com...

Or you can msg me on Aim - ReignStarz

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join