It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interested in becoming a Mason (Massachusetts)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I live in Massachusetts and I am interested in becoming a Mason. I know a Mason, that is how I know about them.

I mention that I live in MA because I am only 18. I read online that the age restriction is 21, but the sites for some states allow people who are 18. Is MA one of these states?

Also, I am surrently in college and I am wondering how much time it will require to complete the first three degrees. I have read that it takes several years to get just to the first three; but I have also read that a dedicated person could go through all the different parts of the Scottish or York rite in a few months. I would be in absolutely no rush to reach any degree; I am just curious, and I would need to plan on taking trains.

Thank you very much.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Woohoo! I finally get to field one of these! Yaay!

OK, so the first step is to look at your local Grand Lodge Web Page, which is here. Next, what is the minimum age? Sadly, I couldn't find the information on the page (also, although I'm positive the Massachusetts Masons are the salt of the earth, I really don't like their web page colours - no offense
). But there is a link to mail the GL secretary so you can find out.

Now, as for the degrees. Up here (Alberta, Canada) you can, and usually do, get the three degrees of Craft Masonry in three months:

Month 1: E.A.
Month 2: F.C.
Month 3: M.M.

As for the Scottish Rite and York Rite bodies, they are completely different systems. Don't worry about them right now. They are tremendously rewarding (IMHO), but you will hear a lot about them after your initiation, if they're active in your area.

Good luck! You'll never regret it.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I also read the page for my specific Grand Lodge; and I couldn't find an age restriction either. I am lucky enough to be living in Boston and 15 minutes away by the T from it.

I am going to assume you are a Mason from your post. Even though the different chapters will be somewhat different, it is probably very similar timewise; so how many meetings did you attend a month to reach those degrees?

I have read a lot about the different rites, and they are very interesting. I am not worried about achieveing anything timewise, I just want it for the experience. I imagine they will be very active in my area since I am right near the giant Grand Lodge.

I am only worried about what the commitment will be for the first three degrees. Mainly because college will start again in a few months and I will not have infinite time.

One other thing, I live in a different city when I come home for the summer. Can I attend meetings at any lodge, or does it have to be the one I entered at. If it is restricted, I assume there must be some way to transfer to a different one since people may move and such.

Again, thank you.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
www.bessel.org...

Paul Bessel is the guy for statistics , he's the tops.

it would seem MA is 18.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thank you, thats good news to me.

Hopefully it is accurate and up to date.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mccaffrey
so how many meetings did you attend a month to reach those degrees?

Actually, you only need to attend the three meetings in which your degrees are actually presented (that would be one per month, of course), in order to get those degrees. As for Lodges, where I am, many Lodges meet twice per month, except during certain months (in my Mother Lodge, for example, June often has only one meeting (a "regular" meeting, not an "emergent," where we confer degrees), of course July and August have no meetings, and December only has one meeting (the installation of officers)). Many other ones meet only once a month. I'm not sure which way is more common, especially in the states. Up here, Lodges that meet twice a month are generally considered more "vibrant," but the second best Lodge in my city (well... they insist they're the best one
) only meets once a month, on a Saturday... but the meetings are long.

Anyway, I've never heard of a Lodge meeting more than twice a month. I'm considered fairly active in Masonry, but I am a University student... the time is easy to find.

By the way, yes, I am a Mason

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
What are the meetings like? I do not want you to tell any secrets or anything, just an outline of what generally happens, like leaders talk to the group and afterwards people talk amongst themselves for example.

What is the initiation like? I have read some things that one muse do some very unpleasent rituals, but I don't believe that. The Shriner said that when he reached that level he had to dine nude with a thousand people, but I suspect he just didn't want to say what actually happened, mabye it was a secret.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm afraid I'm not going to talk about what happens at meetings and initiations. You may find other brothers who will, but I won't.

What I will tell you is that nothing humiliating or dangerous occurs in the initiation, and certainly nothing unpleasant.

I'm not a Shriner myself, so I don't know what they get up to. I think the dining nude thing was probably a joke, though.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thanks, you pretty much game me all the info I wanted. I know that what happens is secret, so I want to respect that; especially if I am going to join.

new topics

top topics

join