It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is just scary! Worst use of the English language ever!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I was browsing photobucket and came across this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41f73b746c03.jpg[/atsimg]

Do the children of today really talk like this?! I mean what is being said here?! Holy crap my head hurts... I am sure it's nothing nice.. This is highly disturbing for many reasons. Teens are writing like this thanks to "text" talk. I have even seen students in my class talk like this on assignments. Do they not realize this is NOT proper and makes you sound ignorant? I have a friend who talks like this and it drives me insane because she is really smart but my god I need urban dictionary to translate.

I dont want people saying oh well not all members speak English, I KNOW this. This is not about any member.
For people in countries where English isn't your first language, is this happening there too? Like in France are the younger generations abbreviating everything and making their own language? IMO it looks bad and it is not what we are taught. Does it really take that much longer to spell "that" instead of "dat," I dont get it.

ALso another thing I have noticed is how spelling is just as bad now. Most people I talk to say why bother because their phone or computer will just auto fill the proper spelling. Well how do you learn if it does it for you??

Am I the only one who sees all this?

[edit on 4/21/2010 by mblahnikluver]

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
NO you are not alone

This generation's spell-check (did I just spell that right???) is past generation's calculator!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This is just scary! Worse use of the English language ever!

Shouldn't that be "Worst use of the English language ever!" ?

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This is just scary! Worse use of the English language ever!

Shouldn't that be "Worst use of the English language ever!" ?

TheAssoc.

Yes I noticed that after I hit submit and can't change the title. It doesnt come up in edit. lol

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one.

I suffer from Chronic Jerkitis.

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Can anyone translate that garbled junk for us?

What does that even say?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It says if you're feeling froggy WUK, jump, baby, jump!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Can anyone translate that garbled junk for us?

What does that even say?

Looks like part of it got cut off, but I'll give it a try:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41f73b746c03.jpg[/atsimg]

"I'm an independent [cut off]

I was put on [this] earth [cut off, possibly "January"]

And [when] it comes to a [politically incorrect "N" word] I [cut off, possibly "don't"]

If it's a [politically incorrect "N" word] I really like I'll bet [you]

I run [the] halls of [Clagton?] [beating]

and if a [bitch] feeling froggy jump [bitch]"

No idea what that's supposed to mean, but there you have it.

:shk:

TheAssoc.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Now here is the really scary thought. Next year, the guy who wrote that will be a freshman in college.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jagdflieger

I doubt whether the person who wrote that has the intellectual capacity to get through school, let alone go to college.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I thought it was taken from a tea party banner?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I like reading Lamebook and I was kinda in awe at how many people can't spell.
Messages like *hoo wans ta du dat stugh wee taked abut*

I think it is a combination of ebonics,bad education and slang.

I even saw one from a teacher *I luv teeching*

What the hell is the world coming to??
I got a handwritten note from a college girl recently and it was all capital letters.
What is wrong with our education system??

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I doubt whether the person who wrote that has the intellectual capacity to get through school, let alone go to college.

Well the point I am making is that the standard of scholarship in American schools (especially in writing skills) has decayed in the last several years. I follow Formula 1 racing on TV and really enjoy it for the following reasons:
1. David Hobbs commentary (he has a droll sense of humor).
2. They do not play "Back Home in Indiana" before any of the races.
3. The drivers in the after race interviews can hold a five minute conversation without saying "Well, you know" every 15 seconds.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

This is the language of the ghetto where I use to live. In the ghetto schools do not reach out to minorities so the kids come up with some slang that sounds like complete non-sense. I can talk ghetto too but I choose to be better then that however kids these days just don't learn...:shk:

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I see no problems at all with this version of English, and do not, and never will understand the criticisms thrown at those who do not adopt or use the current versions of standard British or American English.

Take this prose..

So off I trudg’d, away to Rye,
As fresh as eny daisy,
At ol’ Skinflint I shook my fist,
Acaus he call’d me lazy

The spelling and grammar is correct, since it follows a district set of rules.. It does not indicate the person who wrote and published this poem was of low intelligence, or uneducated for simply not following alien rules.

Our county motto is still in that version of English, "We wunt be druv" or "we won't be driven" are people going to say that we should change our county motto as it does not follow alien rules?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
"I am an independant Woman"
"I was put on this earth january 28 1996" (so 14 years old, not independant nor a woman)
"and when it comes to a N word, i dont play games"
"if it's a N word i really like, ill beat your ass over him" (when i meet new boys im not shy, If i like them, i will fight you over him)
"I run all the Halls of claxton beating bitches ass's" (im in charge around here)
"and if a bitch feeling froggy jump or run" (Got a problem with me then fight me, or run)

Thats what i got from it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is just ghetto nonsense slander some people like that take pride in it, I find it repulsive and I pity those types of people they are in the low level mental range its pathetic its all they know. Its not completely their fault they were brought up like that but still any normal person would have some kind of resentment towards them.:shk:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
[edit on 28-4-2010 by maximiliian]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Further confirmation (for me, anyway) that the Earth is being seeded every so often by generations of alien species.

To me, this example is a wonderful look into Alien Linguistics and Script.

(Oh, sure - I sound crazy now, but in a few decades time, my "theory" will become much more obvious....
)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I tell you something..

That's precisely the type of language they use down here. Oh yeah, add 'sik,' 'wasteman,' 'hard,' and so on.

It's a very stereotypical Essex.

top topics

join