It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking Barefoot.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
I mean, we're not born with shoes are we.

If that's an argument than we can throw everything out of the window because we weren't "born with it" or "People didn't had it for a long time".
Hey, kick your computer into the trash, you aren't born with one, people a hundred years ago hadn't one, you don't need one.
With an argument like that, it's best for you to crawl back into a cave.

I don't think you understand what I meant. I never said that people shouldn't wear shoes because we're not born with them. I meant that it is not a necessity for life. Just like you don't need a computer. I know plenty of people who don't own a computer, and they survive just fine. That's not saying you should not own one though.

How you equate not wearing shoes to being a "neanderthal" is beyond me, but I certainly appreciate that I was not brought up in an environment with a mentality like this.

I can't imagine why some people are so concerned about getting a bit of dirt between their toes.

The basic answer: It's disgusting
Long Answer: Dirt, animals, dog #, trash, plants, all kinds of ugly things you could step into.

It's only disgusting if you have some kind of fear of the natural world. Luckily I have no such fear, and I have now realised how thankful I am to be able to walk outside without a constant fear of "dirt" or "plants"(seriously, plants?
).

Obviously, there are times when shoes are a necesity such as on harsh rocks, urban waste areas and cold environments. But every time you step out your door? I don't think so.

I bet those people who don't wear shoes are the same that don't shower every day and wear the same clothes for more than 1-2 days, just because they think they don't have to be civilized human beings

While that is a rather broad generalisation, it may have some part truths. In summer I certainly don't shower every day, yet I bet I would be cleaner than most of those who sit inside every day. And I certainly wear clothing items more than twice before rinsing them with chemicals. But this could be down to the fact that I would be in the sea nearly every day, and my boardies (and me) would naturally get washed every time.

And while we're taking bets, I would bet that if you compare the foot health of people who walk barefoot to those "civilised" people who prefer to keep their feet constantly encapsulated in layers of synthetic materials, the "neanderthals" would come out much better off.

The human body is an amazing organism, and can adapt to it's given environment. Walking barefoot strengthens the muscles in your feet and causes the soles to become stronger and more resistant to general wear and tear. A bit of dirt or grass isn't going to harm you.

So as I mentioned earlier, I certainly agree that shoes are important at times, yet they are not necceasry every time you step outside. If everyone shared your opinions, I would be proud to consider myself a neanderthal.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Yeah I completely agree. I am grateful that I was able to grow up roaming outdoors, swimming and climbing trees (barefoot, of course
). Getting outside is a great way to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and to see the positives in this world, not just the negatives.

And I agree about driving barefoot. I think it's far safer driving with bare feet than having a layer of rubber between you and the pedals. You have an increased sensory perception of where the pedals are and better tactile movement. I have no idea why it would be illegal

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I say i love you thinking, barefoot is healthy, especially if ur walking on rocks, sort of like a massage, and the grass, oh man, ur right when u say there is a connection... and shoes ARE stinky, where do u think all the foot sicknesses come from? SHOES, like running shoes, that shiet is so bad for ur feet, just b/c they look nice, doesnt mean it's healthy!! man were not made for shoes, our feet are very important, thats where ur headache starts, depending on the condition of ur foot, toothaches, also the condition of ur feet, and much more... just pay close attention, summer time, feet all nice, and tanned, look healthy... winter comes around, ur wearing shoes ALL the time, u take em off in summer, they look like they just came out of a morgue!! if people didn't wear shoes ALL summer long, then during winter time, u wouldn't be as sick.

And it's not "DIRTY" it's called MUD, dirt is when people ACT dirty... everything else is just 100% natural earth! and ur feet will love u for it.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
im totally with you man, nothing compares to walk without shoes, feeling the earth under your feet, connecting with her. Some people may say that thats disgusting, but thats because they never did it... we have become so unnatural that when we make contact with natural things we find them disgusting.. its time to return to the mother earth, to be natural again... take care man, best whishes.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
thousands of years of evolution... for what?

Why dont start walking around naked (or with a cat skin to cover your "stuff"), hunting for food with a spear made from a stick and just go live in the wild... just to be IN TOUCH with nature.

I dont see where you can connect to nature walking around in your kitchen, in a sidewalk or in tarmak

hell just throw thousands of years of evolution away!

People are indeed going crazy... they're always trying to find "the next best thing" and since everything is pretty much done, they desperately try anything... now its walking barefoot in yer kitchen to make you... in contact with... the planet.

Beautiful...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
desperately try anything... now its walking barefoot in yer kitchen to make you... in contact with... the planet.

Oh my goodness. You meanie.

It's not like I'm doing it because it's some type of fad! It's what I do! I guess there isn't any natural things in your environment. Jeez. Seriously. Your entire post is full of ignorance.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

As for walking in urine, dog mess or anyother foul thing on the floor, how often do you put your feet in your mouth. I go all summer without shoes on and it feels great (even when you feel fresh dog # squelch between your toes), the only thing i worry about is broken glass.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Wow, I'd say. This thread is continuing to open my eyes. I had no idea that there were people so dependant on their modern lifestyle and technology that they consider not wearing shoes to being some kind of "crazy" fad by nutjobs. Seriously, how do you come to that conclusion?

Do all the "tenderfoots" think this way?

I can't recall you saying that you take your shoes off in the kitchen to be in connection with the planet. But it's strange people think that not wearing shoes means you're some kind of nutjob or neanderthal. And these are the so called "civilised" people...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

How you equate not wearing shoes to being a "neanderthal" is beyond me, but I certainly appreciate that I was not brought up in an environment with a mentality like this.

Because neanderthals didn't wear shoes but once human evolved they started to make and wear shoes. Look at the egyptians, the roman empire. It's part of the evolution.

It's only disgusting if you have some kind of fear of the natural world. Luckily I have no such fear, and I have now realised how thankful I am to be able to walk outside without a constant fear of "dirt" or "plants"(seriously, plants?
).

Yes plants, step into a nettle and you know what i mean

I'm not into the art of sm and i don't like pain, so i try to avoid everything that could result in pain.

Obviously, there are times when shoes are a necesity such as on harsh rocks, urban waste areas and cold environments. But every time you step out your door? I don't think so.

Well i don't live in the woods, so when i step out of the door, i wear shoes and like i said in germany it's forbidden to drive your car without proper shoes and since i drive most of the time....

The human body is an amazing organism, and can adapt to it's given environment.

What about freezing to death? I mean, when you say that humans don't need shoes, they also certainly don't need clothes...but then comes the winter and bingo, you're freezing to death.
The human body isn't amazing, it's more a like a broken car that needs constant mainteinance. From brushing your teath to take a shower, to clothes if you don't wanna freeze or sun screen if you don't want to develop sunburn and cancer to all kinds of other things we need to do and shoes are just a part of it.

Walking barefoot strengthens the muscles in your feet and causes the soles to become stronger and more resistant to general wear and tear. A bit of dirt or grass isn't going to harm you.

An why do i need stronger muscles in my feet? I don't play Football

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
When I was almost 3 years old, I was in a terrible accident and spent nearly a full year in the hospital. I had to learn to eat, talk, and walk all over again. It was like being born again, and starting over from scratch.

My legs became knock-kneed as a result, and my parents got me prescription shoes that were nothing like what all the other kids in school had. My father fondly called them "clod hoppers", which didn't help at all. They cost a lot back then, nearly a hundred dollars. I got a new pair each fall for school.

The doctor encouraged my parents to buy me a swingset and a pool. As a consequence of that, I was almost always barefooted. My parents were constantly on me to wear my special shoes, but it never made sense to put them on, take them off, put them on, take them off...

I ended up being barefooted almost 100% of the time when I was not in school. As a result, my legs did straighten out, but no thanks to the shoes, it was because being barefoot allows your foot muscles to perform to balance you correctly. Stronger foot muscles and stronger leg muscles were the result.

At the age of 14, I asked the doctor, in front of my parents, why I needed the special shoes. He stated in fact, that I no longer really needed them, and in fact, that going barefooted was far more helpful to the retraining of my foot and leg muscles. He did defend that if I wore shoes, I should have the expensive ones.

After so may years of going through this, my father finally saw the light, and quit paying out for the special shoes. I was finally free! He expressed regret over having spent so much money on those shoes when we could hardly afford it, and I was blessed by my parents to go barefoot as much as possible. Even in high school, I had flip flops on most of the time, but usually took them off and carried them with my books. Hardly anyone ever said a word to me about not having my shoes on, even in school.

To this day, 43 years later, I spend all of my time barefooted. I do have back problems from a car accident, but I do noticeably better and have less pain when I am barefooted. My pain issues become much worse when I wear shoes of any type.

I only wear shoes when I have to. To go to work, to the store, etc. Yes, in my state driving barefooted is illegal, but I definitely feel safer and more secure driving barefooted because I feel like I interract with the car better than with shoes.

I buy slippers now and again, and they end up not being used except when I am in the hospital. I own few shoes, and the ones I do own are sandals and open heeled slip ons. Even my work shoes are Crocks.

I can tell you that most people do *not* wear properly fitted shoes. I can guarantee you that most people buy shoes off the shelf, and do not sit and have their feet measured and have shoes offered them in the size and width that is appropriate. Those types of shoes stores hardly even exist anymore.

Wearing improperly fitted shoes is far worse for you than you would suspect, causing corns, callouses, bunions, and a myriad of back problems, not to mention causing muscle tone problems in your feet and legs.

I guess it all depends on how you are raised and what you prefer.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

One thing that really bothers me about my current place of residence has got to be how people don't take their shoes off when entering houses! How gross is that!?

I hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you from? Leaving my shoes on in someones home has always been normal where I'm from. I only take my shoes off when I'm in my own house or a very close friend's. I only have a few friends who take off their shoes in my house and that's because I've known them forever.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Yes plants, step into a nettle and you know what i mean

I'm not into the art of sm and i don't like pain, so i try to avoid everything that could result in pain.

The saying "no pain, no gain" comes to mind

Nettle can indeed be potentially hazardous. In fact, here in NZ, you may encounter the tree nettle Ongaonga in the bush, which has been known to kill at least one man. However, it is not going to pop out and get you along every reserve or park or beach or wherever you want to wander. It is not hard to identify potentially hazardous areas when walking outside. In fact, you might be suprised to find that I have never stood on stinging nettle. It's a risk I'm willing to take when I go outside.

What about freezing to death? I mean, when you say that humans don't need shoes, they also certainly don't need clothes...but then comes the winter and bingo, you're freezing to death.

Do you actually read the parts of my post you quote? I have never said that humans don't ever need shoes. In fact, I said the opposite in part of the post you quoted, and in previous posts. I'll post it again for you.

You seem to think I'm telling people they should never wear shoes, when that is obviously not the case. I'm merely pointing out that it is not necessary every single time you go outside. Got it yet?

The human body isn't amazing, it's more a like a broken car that needs constant mainteinance. From brushing your teath to take a shower, to clothes if you don't wanna freeze or sun screen if you don't want to develop sunburn and cancer to all kinds of other things we need to do and shoes are just a part of it.

Speak for yourself. I'd hate to think so low of myself to think that my own body is merely a broken piece of machinery. Even if I have an injury such as a dislocated knee or broken elbow, I can still see the wonders of my body, and I am grateful for it. I use my body in many ways which gives me great enjoyment, and a positive outlook on life. I'm an avid surfer and snowboarder (yes I wear shoes on the mountain), and I love just getting outside and enjoying the world we live in.

I don't envy those who feel they are broken, and need technology and their modern lifestyle just to get by. Especially when they criticise others for doing something they clearly don't understand.

An why do i need stronger muscles in my feet? I don't play Football

Well, if you feel that the only reason to be fit and healthy is to play a sport, then I guess you'd be fine being unhealthy. I know I'd rather be prepared for any given situation I am put in. There may be times when technology can't help you, and you need to rely on your mind and body to survive.

I'd rather know I could run a fair distance if someone's life required it. I'd like to be able to swim to save someone (kind of important when you're a lifeguard). I'd like to think that in a disaster scenario such as a flood or eruption, I would be able to keep composed rather than freak out at all the dirt and messiness.

But as long as you live in a nice sheltered world with your computer and technology to get you by, I guess it would be fine to view yourself as broken equipment.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The human body isn't amazing, it's more a like a broken car that needs constant mainteinance. )

Wow. You sure look highly of yourself don't you?

What is it with people being pessimistic these days?

Do you know how much the human body is capable of? Stop feeling sorry for yourself and appreciate your body for what it does for you. So ungrateful.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Thank you for your input and support in helping my cause.

You bring some very good points up, and you said what I was going to say to all these negative people.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
haha it's funny I found this thread now... I've been making an effort to go barefoot as much as possible. I love the grass under my feet and I hate to wear my shoes now. Like you said, I feel a better connection with the earth that way. I just go outside for the purpose of walking in my yard barefoot. it makes me happy. I also like the idea of toughening up my feet too. mmm I love the grass...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
thank you so much for this thread!
i had completely forgotten the joys of bare feet on earth, and now i'm back again! absolutely fantastic, went walking down to the beach with my baby boy today, barefoot over grass, rocks, sand, seaweed and into the water, which ain't so very warm up here in the north!

and it's so sad to think that people have been so conditioned that they are disgusted by their own bodies... by nature... what experiences being missed out on... how lonely it must be to be so detached...
oh and to the resident tenderfoot:
schattenparker!
fahrradstuerzhelmtraeger!
that's what my stepfather thought about the likes of you

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a short summary so far:
"third world country citizen, gross, barefoot to naked to criminal, neanderthal, disgusting & uncivilized, stupid naturefreak, against evolution and desperate and going crazy"

I like barefoot, I like my shoes too, and most of all I like being able to choose, especially knowing that my freedom to choose 'does not infringe upon' someone else's freedom to choose.

side note: for those who are looking into sungazing, do reconsider. There are many other spiritual disciplines or safe ways of looking at the sun. Why not try those out before putting your eyes' lifelong service to you on the line.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Please, share your thoughts of walking barefoot

Delighted to see so many others sharing "the feeling"

I discovered how rubbing in some cocoa & shea butter before putting on socks and shoes for walking or running (then throwing socks in washer very soon after), washing them every day, and occasionally using 'the scrubbing rock' has made mine unbelievably soft.

I'm sure it's possible to keep them both smooth and use them bare even if it means being more prone to injury or having to limit how much you use them over what terrain/purpose. I intend to find out to what extent that's true, at least.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
As a full on Barefooter, basically everyday now, I am now even more proud to walk without the assistance of shoes. And now when people look at my bare feet and then at me in horror, I just give them a smirk and a nod, like, "yeah that's right, you wish you could get out of those stinky shoes like me!" and walk on my way on my beautifully conditioned feet. Their stares used to bother me. Not anymore. And it keeps getting better I tell ya. I remember how my feet used to feel on this certain part of asphalt on one of my walking paths. It used to hurt a little bit. Nowadays, I trek it like nothing! Yay!

Seriously, if I cared what people thought, I would wear shoes more often. But I am very proud to be a barefooter I tell ya. I really am. Come people, get out there and represent! Just remember if you are a new to the world of barefoot walking, take it in baby steps. Don't rush yourself.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Good for you! I dislike wearing shoes and you will find me barefoot at all times that I am not working or in some constricting social situation.

Do you know how many time lightening hits the Earth each day? A freakin' lot, and walking barefoot gets you access to this awesome energy!

Keep it up!

"Going barefoot is the gentlest way of walking and can symbolise a way of living — being authentic, vulnerable, sensitive to our surroundings. It's the feeling of enjoying warm sand beneath our toes, or carefully making our way over sharp rocks in the darkness. It's a way of living that has the lightest impact, removing the barrier between us and nature."
— Adele Coombs, "Barefoot Dreaming"

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join