It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea torpedoed South's navy ship: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

(Reuters) - South Korea's military believes a torpedo fired from a North Korean submarine sank its navy ship last month, based on intelligence gathered jointly with the United States, a news report said on Thursday.

The Yonhap news agency report appears to be the clearest sign yet that Seoul blames Pyongyang for the sinking, thought to have killed 46 sailors in what would be one of the deadliest incidents between the rivals since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.

The military's intelligence arm sent the report of "certain" North Korean involvement to the presidential Blue House soon after the incident, Yonhap quoted a high-ranking military source as saying.

The report could be an embarrassment to South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, whose government has come under criticism for its handling of the incident.

"North Korean submarines are all armed with heavy torpedoes with 200 kg (441 lb) warheads," the military source was quoted as saying by Yonhap. "It is the military intelligence's assessment that the North attacked with a heavy torpedo.

www.reuters.com...

This has been hinted at already, but this is the first time I have seen someone go on record as saying it was North Korea.
Are we seeing a possible re-flaring of the Korean War? If not yet, will the retaliation start it back up?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Not good at all. I am still surprised that Lil Kim has not been bragging about it though.

Will be very interesting to see the Souths response.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
This could be interesting to see what the North Korean govt says about this. Will they keep quiet and wait to see if the South retaliates, or deny deny deny?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Yeah. The article claims any retaliation by the South would bolster Kim's standing at home as well as hurt the South's economic recovery.

If the South doesn't retaliate then it could lead the North to torpedo more of the Souths ships?

Either way it isn't good. North Korea is getting bolder and the South is damned-if-they-do and damned-if-they-don't.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

(Reuters) - North Korea on Saturday denied that it sank a South Korean naval vessel near their disputed sea border late last month.

Link
The NK government has already denied any involvement in that incident.

"The puppet military warmongers, right-wing conservative politicians and the group of other traitors in South Korea are now foolishly seeking to link the accident with the north at any cost," the North's KCNA news agency quoted an unnamed military commentator as saying.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yea, there isn't much SK can do, because if they attack it's going to be a huge **** sandwhich.

No one wants another korean war, atleast not one where the US gets involved.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's a false flag
the report is a lie

I guess u folks are gonna believe this
Official story just like u believed 9/11.

get a grip folks, cant u see what's coming??

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
stuff's about to go down and I don't think North Korea will be fully ready for the events about to unfold.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

If it actually was the North Koreans who torpedoed the ship then nothing will happen. Maybe a few harsh words and some condemnation from all the other "Holier Than Thou" world leaders in the West but South Korea won't risk all out conflict over this incident.

If it is a false flag, then we will see retaliation from South Korea and the West ... which will probably escalate ... and that will be a terrible humanitarian disaster for the North Korean civilians ... but hey! at least we will know it was a false flag! ...

[edit on 21/4/10 by Horza]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
It's a false flag
the report is a lie

That's what I think the problem is. If it is a false flag, and the South can't do anything about it..guess where they will turn...And they wouldn't have started the false flag knowing they can't do anything themselves about it without having their "protection" already lined up.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
It's a false flag
the report is a lie

I'm not saying the Korean torpedo incident was or was not a false flag, but remember the Bay of Tonkin of the Vietnam war and Israeli, USS Liberty incident? The were both rendered by a Dem Admin as well.
Something smells fishy and it aint the fish!

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This is terrible news for the west and our allies in Asia. If South Korea plays their cards right, they'll wait till Kim Jong Il steps down and goes to war with his successor.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This seems just a little too convenient to me. SK first said it was not a torpedo, now suddenly, with US help (wink, nudge), they determine that it was indeed a torpedo?

Why would the North have done it? And if they did do it, why would they not take responsibility? What would be the point of killing a few sailors and not taking credit?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Couple this story together with 'warmonger News', sorry , Fox News report about a possible upcoming Nuke test and I'm sure we will have a big melting pot of Bull****.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
So who's the US gonna attack? Iran? Syria? North Korea? All 3? They've been drumming up for war with all 3 with all their lies in the media so far. I wonder if they really think it's gonna work this time. Aren't you guys tired of war? I know I am. I think a majority of people are.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

I know I am too...
Too bad TPTB can't ever try to give peace a chance....

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Well, it looks like North Korea wants a war. It may take like 3 days to take over N Korea and end that situation once and for all. They don't stand a chance.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

We would be foolish to believe this report so quickly. As I asked earlier, why would NK do this? And if they did it, why would they hide the fact? Kim Jong Il likes to have the attention on him, he is an egomaniac. He also knows that he is relatively safe from attack. So why would he do this and not take credit?

top topics

join