It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

abovetopsecret - Does it make people paranoid ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Simple question.

Do you, or anyone else, think this site makes people paranoid.
Over the years I have been here, I have seen some unreal threads on thing you couldnt make up if you tried.

There are a lot of unstable people in the world, and a lot of people NEED to believe in something. Most believe in god in some way or fashion.

The non god types want to believe in 2012, elvis being alive, faked moon landings etc.

I am just talking out loud here.
Does anyone think this site, and others like it, drive fear into people ?

I must admit, before I stumbled across ATS I hadnt heard of 2012/Planet X/ Ufology on this big a scale, paranormal activity on such a scale, etc, I could go on.

Point I am trying to make is, people will WANT to believe in something, and often that belief is like a blind faith in something.

We live a scared world right now. We feel alone, we feel disjointed, we feel something is wrong, WE ALL feel something BIG is about to happen.
I am a great believer in life being all in the mind.

Do any of the titles in this website exist, Ufo's, Aliens, 2012, Planet X, Ghosts, etc, etc. Again I could go on.

Or are we all just tying to find something that isnt there, and see things that dont exist.

I myself posted some threads of late off the Sun, I was 1000% sure I could see something near the sun, I even posted pictures.
Am I now a man who wants to, needs to believe in something?

Why ?
Why do we want a disaster ?
Why do we want alien contact ?
Why do we think Governments hide things ?
Why do we talk of 2012 and Planet X ?

If any off this is true, we are in trouble.

Question is, has there EVER been a thread posted on this site to prove 2012, ghosts, aliens, planet x, etc, etc ?
All we ever see is a blurry image.
I have been visiting this site for many a year, and each time I log on I get exited. Why ? Because deep down in my soul I want to believe in something.

Funny thing is, I dont know what.

Can anyone else relate ?

Shauny.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
For me, its a healthy paranoia. A lively and refreshing twist to life, which used to be pretty boring.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think people come here because they're paranoid, not the other way around.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well, this site and others like it must be scaring TPTB, today i heard them on TV taking about making conspiracy theories illegal, and maybe taxing them, if you can believe that.
I love it here, news way before you hear it on TV or radio, things you will not hear anywhere else on the net, and like the OP said, stories one just could not make up, even if they tried real hard. Oh, there are some here with an agenda, and some who will do anything to make us all think we are normal, and that there are no such things as we talk about. But! Here we are, anyway. Cannot deny that.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I love this website! I also get excited every time I log on! I also want to believe! But at the same time I try to stay sensible about the material that I read. This site has helped me to become open minded where as I used to not so be! The slogan "Deny ignorance" is a great one and I try to live by it.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
everyone around me will tell you I'm paranoid i prefer the term alert lol

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
May I add I love this site.
its my homepage.

1st thing I see when I open my browser.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think there are some seriously delusional people on here, judging by some threads. I also think that ATS promotes fear and hysteria in some cases. And some people here believe everything thats written on the boards!!

In saying that, not everyone here is like the above. There are some bizzare and unusual things/ events out there, a lot of which is still unexplained, and those make for good threads.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down"

Buffalo Springfield.

ATS is the manifestation of millions of people world wide who are stopping, and saying hey, what's that sound.
People on ATS are the ones in the world looking at what's going down.

Having said that I think there are some psychos on here too.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I think there are some seriously delusional people on here, judging by some threads. I also think that ATS promotes fear and hysteria in some cases. And some people here believe everything thats written on the boards!!

In saying that, not everyone here is like the above. There are some bizzare and unusual things/ events out there, a lot of which is still unexplained, and those make for good threads.

You're right. But at least we aren't as far gone as GLP yet.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Well, I've been a lurker for a few months and decided to start actively posting today.

I think you've got to realise that your question is a chicken or egg one, in the fact that you are asking whether ATS makes people paranoid, at the expense of ''are some paranoid people attracted to ATS ?''.
I guess I'm a bit of both ( chicken and egg ), but I frequent ATS to boost my knowledge and understanding of the world around me.

Yes, I would say that this site induces fear in some people, but in largely a good way. I think the ''fear'' most often comes when people's own beliefs and views of the world are challenged, rather than out of any existing mental instability.
I mean, we're all slightly unstable, aren't we ? There's no archetypal definition of a ''normal'' disposition that human beings belong to.

I agree that a lot of people want to believe in something or other, but I don't see any harm in that if that is what makes them happy and it is not interfering with anybody else.
I have my own beliefs about a myriad of subject matters, but I don't think they're overly influenced by ATS, other than a well-sourced post or something that 'clicks' with me.

We don't know what does or doesn't exist, and maybe we're all willingly letting ourselves believe in some sort of fantasy, but it's up us to discern what is correct and what is not.
Personally, I'm agnostic on many subjects, and you surely have a point that my deeper motivation for coming to ATS is probably in an attempt to find more conclusive and deeper answers about confusing, worrying and sometimes frightening subject matters and concepts, but again, that's just human nature to delve for and to seek answers.

I don't think there has been a thread that ''proves'' any of the subjects that you ask about, but I think proof is very subjective, and it can also be argued that no mainstream theory has been proved here by any sceptics, either.
What I've found on this site is that every theory/topic/thought has someone that disagrees with it, and in many cases they do so with informative and intelligent posts. It just goes to show that no matter how true you believe something to be, there's usually an opinion that contradicts it. It's all relative.

Yes, I can certainly relate, brother, it's very much a good thread.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
You're right. But at least we aren't as far gone as GLP yet.

Thank god for that, lol!!

I think at GLP, you arent welcome if you dont belive everything

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Why do we think Governments hide things ?

If any off this is true, we are in trouble. - Shauny

Yes, we are in trouble, aren't we? Too bad despotism and command have no real value as virtues when it comes to discovering the truths. I think it was about the time of spreading mycoplasma skeeters along the St. Lawrence that I lost faith in the wonderful government. Three friends with FM now. Or perhaps it was the 8 constitutional breaches in Bill C-6 CANADIAN SENATORS that weighed on my mind, and it's links to Eugenics Alimentus.

The devil's in the details, I guess you'd say.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm only paranoid in the sense that i can't stand someone looking over my shoulder when i write or type. I try to take everything with a grain of salt and use it to learn more about alternate ideas and theories.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think ATS is more of a place where people who might be considered paranoid gather. If you are happy with being a sheeple. Happy with being blissfully ignorant, then you probably wont come to this site or find anything interesting here.

As novelist William S. Burroughs said,
"Sometimes paranoia's just having all the facts."

[edit on 21-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Why are you asking those questions?
Why do you need to know?

Why are you looking at me like that?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

We have something to be paranoid about

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It's a strange place alright... and when I first started lurking here, it caused me to be a little paranoid just visiting. Then, after finally joining, it was with a certain amount of trepidation that I did. I wondered if black vans might be parked outside at any moment, ready to haul me off for questioning the MSM or nutty books that I've read.

That was then, but today it is the complete opposite. Here, I feel safe, among a huge crowd of people from all over the world who are only interested in asking questions and finding answers.

There are mysteries and conspiracies galore in this world because history is full of them. Google John Dee for one of my favourites.
Lots of unexplained stuff out there waiting to get poked and prodded by inquisitive minds. Over the past 100 years, there has been JFK, Pearl Harbour, 2 world wars and crazy ideas about re-drawing the maps of Europe, Africa and the Middle East. We're only beginning to pry the lid off much of it and making sense of it all is going to take another century

As for paranormal stuff, what is religion if not paranormal?

Niburu, 2012, weird particle accelerator science... these are ALL fascinating subjects. Even if the more radical ideas may cause a bit of apprehension, that's what happens everywhere when you don't know what's really going on, not just on ATS. Think about if the CERN really DID lose a black hole they'd created and it's growing somewhere below Switzerland, heading for the earth's core. If it is, then we wouldnt have to worry about Niburu OR 2012... we'll all be long dead by then.

If none of the above happens, we can then start worrying about Apophis.

Anyways, all I can say is that ATS seems to me the place where crazy ideas come to get scrutinized. If there's anything to them, you'll make up your own mind after reading the threads. If not... well, they just fade away into obscurity or the HOAX forum.

I'd rather be a regular here than not, simply because at least on ATS you will be able, in most cases, to find out what the real truth is.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Not sure. There sure are a lot of gullible / dumb people on here. I mean...reptilians and Nbiru. Come on.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
lol I'm more afraid of people than the gov or aliens.

line 2

top topics

<<   2 >>

join