It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Country Is the Best at Protecting the Environment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
epi.yale.edu..../

news.yahoo.com...

After dropping more than 20 spots this year in one ranking that measures how well countries are working to protect the environment, the United States is taking steps to improve its environmental impact.

The 2010 Environmental Performance Index (EPI) ranks 163 countries based on 10 indicators of environmental protection, such as levels of air pollution, marine protection laws, water quality, and their rate of planting new trees. The EPI is composed biannually by a team of environmental experts at Yale University and Columbia University.

The U.S. came in 61st place with a score of 63.5 out of 100, a significant drop from landing in 39th place with an EPI score of 81.0 in 2009.

"We're the only country that has a significant amount of people that don't believe in climate change," said Marc Levy, deputy director of Columbia University's Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN). "The central challenge of our time is to help people understand what's happening around them."

3 cheers for western europe! Protective the environment is a corrageous thing to do and Europe is doing it best, like most other things. The US is getting worse each year, dropping an astonishing 20 spots.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Hey there friend!

I can't believe Bolivia is at 44.3. What is wrong with Morales? He needs to start looking after the environment too. I know he has been cleaning up Bolivia since he was inaugurated and fighting for environment protection but we are still doing terrible.

Great find S/F.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Yeah the US used to have some of the most pristine areas of the world. Pugent sound is a perfect example. It's become so toxic and polluted over the decades. US still has some of the most pristine and most beautiful parks in the world. But you can thank our military for a lot of our environmental damage and pollution. They are always wreaking havoc on stuff.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Mexico got a higher score than the US? That is complete BS I was on vacation once in Peurto Vallarta and it was filthy! Trash everywhere on the sides of the road and in the river bed... give me a break the US isn't bad at all. The only reason why we probably are worse in pollution is because we're such a huge country.
Although I think we should take care of our Earth I think this Global warming (or Climate Change, Global Cooling, what have you) thing is blown way out of proportion.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by asmall89]

new topics

top topics

join