It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New language?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So, if time is an illusion as well as the separation of self then...

Should we not create a language, and set of symbols that eliminate past present and future tense. Should we have the language eliminate words describing indivuals? But then i realize every word is a name, weather it be a feeling, time place, or anything for that matter, right? Then i start thinking, mybe language is an illusion? For every word we have names something. Naming something represents its separation from the whole doesn't it? If we disassociate ourselves from the language we speak, what is left?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You should enjoy the work of Steven Pinker .

Steven Pinker on language and thought

Interactive transcript can be found here .

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
So, if time is an illusion as well as the separation of self then...

Should we not create a language, and set of symbols that eliminate past present and future tense. Should we have the language eliminate words describing indivuals? But then i realize every word is a name, weather it be a feeling, time place, or anything for that matter, right? Then i start thinking, maybe language is an illusion? For every word we have names something. Naming something represents its separation from the whole doesn't it? If we disassociate ourselves from the language we speak, what is left?

i've thought of this often.
there's just so much to consider though.
I like alot of your ideas.. making it more ov a "present based" language.

'language IS everything' .. everything is 'described'.. in order for it to be a part of that which is conscious.

I guess you'd jsut start with the basics...
find what are the most commonly pervayed concepts.. and begin with finding proper geometric icons to symbolize them..

ie: beauty, desire, plus, minus, equals,

..yeah it's a huge undertaking..
would have to be constantly expanding and being improved.. as to let "whatever works" be what is implemented...
you could have two layers...
a formal one and a 'pop' one... and the formal one would adopt through stringent efforts.. anything that becomes tried and true through the 'pop' version.

the geometric symbols could have Neurolinguistic programming computations created to form them..
and/or you could have local contests as to which symbols actually are successful from 'votes' from both a scientifically educated populace.. and then also the users.. the populace.. analyze that data and discern eventually what works..

but never letting anything be 'immoveable' meaning anything can always be changed...

ie: a "living breathing world language" ala Georgia Guidestones...

but then again you're gonna have a ton of protests against that concept jut because it's on the guidestones and the guidestones state a healthy population level for a planet...

-

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I am thinking more symbols. Geometric symbols. I think our brain might interpret a lot of our experience using symbols. Mybe even geometric symbols. This is a theory i have been developing. I think that we are really missing a lot of whats happening for real, even us, the people here on ATS. I mean that with the most positive of thoughts.

What i am really saying is i think that symbols are playing a bigger role then we think, and i am including language, spoken and written.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by onequestion]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

I am thinking more symbols. Geometric symbols. I think our brain might interpret a lot of our experience using symbols. Mybe even geometric symbols. This is a theory i have been developing. I think that we are really missing a lot of whats happening for real, even us, the people here on ATS. I mean that with the most positive of thoughts.

What i am really saying is i think that symbols are playing a bigger role then we think, and i am including language, spoken and written.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by onequestion]

um.. are you agreeing with me?
because that's exactly what i said... geometric symbols....

?

-

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

How about we talk in computer speak ie. 1's and 0's.
Just kidding.
Reading your OP made me think of "newspeak" of 1984.
Esparanto is a recent "new" language but it was an epic fail. Plus it didn't use geometric symbols. The symbols by the way would have to get incredibly complex to account for the infinite amount of things they would have to represent.
Confusing.

╥╘ @☻#♦o≡σ╕î▲, right?

[edit on 22/4/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Ya i have a weird way of writing haha.

top topics

join