It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphin Commits Suicide- Very sad story :(

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Source: www.dolphinproject.org...

Life in Hollywood is hard on animals, but as you will read, life after Hollywood can be even harder; it is that which drives much animal rights opposition to the animal film business. It can even make converts of those actually in the business.
When I interviewed the Flipper trainer Ric O'Barry for my KPFK radio show, he told me about his last moments with Kathy, the lead dolphin in the role of Flipper.
He explained that unlike other mammals, dolphins are not automatic breathers; every breath is a conscious choice, and when life becomes unbearable they can choose to take no more. They commit suicide. He says that mucH of the early morality rate of dolphins in captivity is a result of suicide: "We literally bore them to death."
Ric said that when the Flipper series ended, the dolphins were simply warehoused. Kathy was kept alone in a tank. O'Barry left for India, where he did some soul-searching, and started to feel strongly that what he had been doing to the dolphins was wrong.
When he returned from India, he heard that Kathy was sick and went to see her. He found her alone in a tank, with blisters all over her back from the sun. As I interviewed him about Kathy, he got too choked up to talk about it, but on a video made by the Dolphin Project he described her final moments:
She swam right over into my arms, looked me in the eye, took a deep breath, and never took another one. I let her go and she sank very slowly to the bottom of the tank.
He describes jumping into the tank, attempting to revive her, realizing it was too late, and crying, "My God, what have I done?'

He tells us, "Kathy was an enormously clever and bright creature, who, when there was no use for Flipper, for Kathy, had been consigned to a tank to die. And die she did, with me weeping for having done this horrible thing to her.

This story really shook me up. What an absolutely devastating thought that we're not only physically restricting these animals but we're literally destroying them on a psychological level. There has to be something that can be done

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Wed Apr 28 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

I am in total agreement with you but across the other side of the world the Japanese hack these creatures to death with blades and then with a straight face dare to tell the world that dismembering whole pods of dolphins is a tradition and only a few people actually make much of a fuss about it before moving swiftly on to the next human crime against nature.

If no one is really able to do anything about that filthy behaviour what chance do you think intensely bored but alive dolphins in captivity have when all they have to do is to jump through hoops and perform like monkeys for the entertainment of so many who are willing to pay for the pleasure?

I don’t know what else to tell you other than I am as sickened as you and I am also sickened by human apathy to do nothing about it because everyone seems to expect the guy “over there” to take care of it.

I have no idea what to do about it, there are so many filthy things that are being done to this planet and to nature that it has become an overload of misery.

Take your pick: Dolphin butchery, perpetual warfare, Whales butchered in the name of science, the games regarding Darfur. Alone we are capable of such amazing things but put us together, add some stress and degrade our freedoms and we eat and eat till there is nothing left but bones.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ong Bak

I'm not a vegetarian or a "tree hugger" if that's what you're asking. I'm concerned about our planet and the life that lives on it.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Here is an article from 2008 about a "mass Suicide". The dolphins didn't hold there breath but they all came to shore simotaneosly (sp????) and died.
www.guardian.co.uk...
I believe all animals have feelings and "souls".
Here is another article
www.thescavenger.net...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ong Bak

..so you want to change the topic to vegetarianism?

OP. It is a very sad story.. I didn't know that their breathing wasn't automatic. Things are changing and hopefully more people will opt out of watching this barbaric entertainment.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ong Bak

Just curious.
Do you have a soul?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is not about killing or not killing animals distinctively.

It is about our efficiency as a human being, right?

Our efficiency in regards to the economic and social being of our planet.

You think it is worth to chop down every tree in the world so we can live in an economic wonderland for twenty years?

While this case is not NEARLY as dramatic, I see the point being projected.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Double post!

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Phlynx]

link   
My heart hurts after reading about Kathy. Atleast she was with someone she loved when she chose to die.

Humans are wasteful creatures. When we're done with something, we don't care what happens to it. I'm sure we all know someone who got a puppy, but once it gets older & becomes a dog, it's a hassle & gets chained in the backyard or sent to a shelter.

I'm not sure what can be done about this plight with dolphins. It's easy to adopt a retired greyhound, but nobody just has a pool in their backyard big enough for a dolphin. Why don't these filthy rich elite spend their money on a dolphin retirement program, or even seem interested in such horrible treatments of these beautiful, intelligent animals? I guess that's what the Cremation of Care is for. (Sorry for the Bohemian Grove reference. I couldn't resist.)

link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3
reply to post by Ong Bak

I'm not a vegetarian or a "tree hugger" if that's what you're asking. I'm concerned about our planet and the life that lives on it.

Your OP makes me wonder if human society is what causes human suicides.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
That story made me feel sad.

I then had a random thought in my . and it cheered me up:

The Dolphins carved the Sphinx and built the Pyramids. Then they got sick of mankind and genetically engineered themselves to live in the ocean!

It cheered me up anyway

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I also saw the same movie. It's called "The Cove". I thought the documentry was done very well for such a sad situation. The best part for me was the end when they tell what happened to the people involved after the film was released. It is amazing that these people who do this can justify their actions. Since I saw the movie, I live in FL, I sent a letter along with my families annual passes back to Sea World Orlando and told them I would be passing the DVD on to everyone I know. If we continue to give these Big Companies money, the actions in the movie will continue. In closing, I have to say I was amazed what one man has done to try and make a diffrence, even after the mistake. It goes back to the story about the starfish that was thrown back in to the ocean.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Thanks for telling us about what happened to Kathy and what she did. Say a little prayer for her please.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by rizla]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Thank you for your kind comments guys, I knew this story would tug on some heart threads. It's inspiring to hear that at least some people care and are trying to do something about it.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

i really dont like storys like these, it makes me care about animals more than humans because we are the bullys of earth.

Things need to change...but i know they wont until something major happens. by major i mean sending out back to the stone age.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Watch the Cove in full here:

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
so my alst post was marked as "off topic"
i disagree.
whats more on topic in a thread aobut animal cruelty than relating it to the choices you make every day and how they affect animals in a similar manner.

for instance

the dolphin was taken out of its natural environment, locked up in an unnaturally small confined space, and all for the "benefit" to humans.

your dinner was taken out of its natural environment, locked up in an unnaturally small confined space, and all for the "benefit" to humans.

now ask yourself, hows that hamburger taste? murderous and cruel enough for you?

and im pretty sure i do ahve a soul, not that its relvant to this thread though.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ong Bak

I appreciate what you are saying dude, we do have double standards. Guess Dolphins are considered in higher regard because they are mammals of the oceans and it is something that fascinates us.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Anyone going to reconsider the marking on that guys post so that you don't all look like the stereotypical liberals who can't take apposing points? 'Cause it really felt that way from an outsider just doing some research.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join