It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Green Supersonic Jet Launches on Earth Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d501281ef25.jpg[/atsimg]

U.S. Navy's "Green Hornet" Aims to Break Petroleum Barrier

When the Navy F/A-18 jet called the Green Hornet takes off over the Chesapeake Bay on Earth Day, it will aim to break a barrier that has proven far more durable than the speed of sound.

The twin-engine tactical aircraft is prepared on April 22 to make a supersonic flight on biofuel—its tanks filled 50 percent with oil refined from the crushed seeds of the flowering Camelina sativa plant. The test flight at the Naval Air Station at Patuxent River, Maryland will be a milestone in the Navy’s efforts to reduce its reliance on petroleum, and perhaps, in the elusive search for an alternative fuel for aviation.

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus has set a target that half of naval energy consumption will come from alternative sources by 2020. A “Great Green Fleet,” to sail by 2016, will include nuclear ships, as well as surface combatants with hybrid electric power systems using biofuel and biofuel-powered aircraft.

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...

Never thought about the military doing things differently to save/conserve fuel and resources. Way to go BUT only if the reliability and performance of the items are not scraficed. Should be interesting. Any of the ATS Aircraft Pros have anything to add?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d62c14eda861.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I would be more impressed if it were cannabis sativa seeds :p.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Nightflower]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightflower
I would be more impressed if it were cannabis sativa seeds :p.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Nightflower]

That Test Flight was completed on 4/20. The pilots never nauseated but instead were oddly demanding chips and dip afterward.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

"Green" is good, but on the other hand, a lot of people think this will lead to food shortages. It has already driven the price of certain commodities up. (Corn and Sugar) How many "seeds" does it take to fuel a jet? Lets consider a conservative estimate of a 737:

B737-200 = 800 gal/hr

www.airliners.net...

So a 4 hour flight, using 50% biofuel would burn 1600 gallons of fuel. But we know that a fighter jet flying at supersonic speeds and flying in full throttle position and unusual attitudes would probably burn much more.

1600 gallons of fuel at a bare minimum for one plane/one flight. How many "seeds" does that take?

From my experience making certain grain alcohols, it takes about 6 gallons of raw fruit or mash to make one useable gallon of alcohol. I don't know if bio-fuel has a similar conversion, but if it does, then we are looking at 9600 gallons of seeds for one plane/one flight.

On March 24, 2003 (one day) there were 1500 sorties over Iraq. That is 14 million gallons of seeds needed for that particular day at the most conservative of estimates.
findarticles.com...

There are over 87,000 commercial flights per day in the US.

How "green" is it to burn about 1 billion gallons of food source everyday?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Man, I never thought of it all like that. Kind of makes it depressing when you look at it that way. But, you're correct in your way of thinking.

Thank you for that. I am surprised others havne't commented on this plane and theories such as yours.

[edit on 4/21/2010 by anon72]

top topics

join