It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini Magnetic Shield Found on the Moon: Interesting find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The bright swirls of the Reiner Gamma Formation on the moon.

A small magnetosphere protects a pocket of the lunar surface from solar wind.

For the first time, scientists have observed a mini magnetosphere on the moon—a magnetic field "bubble" that protects part of the lunar surface from punishing solar radiation. This mini magnetosphere lies near the moon's equator, where sunlight reaches only half the time. This would limit the power available to charge solar arrays, should humans ever return to the moon.

The moon doesn't have a global magnetic field, so its surface is constantly being bombarded by the sun's charged particles. But new data from India's Chandrayaan-1 lunar probe have confirmed that the moon does have a miniature version of a magnetosphere covering a small pocket in the northeastern region of the side of the moon that faces away from Earth.

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...

Another notch in the arguement that we should be back at the moon already and not IF we go back. I am stil amazed at the NASA attitude of Been There, Done That when it comes to the moon.

Seems to me like it should have been colonized by now. Scientific labs, telescopes, communication, monitoring stations etc etc etc. Just leads me more to believe there is a very good reason for us not to go back-Someone/thing else owns it and said stay away!!!!! Otherwise, we should have this there by now:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Like your picture of the Moon base. I am with John Lear and others on this one, TPTB already have a secret base on the Dark Side of the Moon, and the secret military shuttle missions are for resupply and equipment transport. I also believe strongly that they have such a base on Mars, too, and a few years ago an accident claimed the lives of several thousand of them. It would stand to reason TPTB would be all about replacements....

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It almost makes you wonder what could be buried perhaps that could maybe cause this.. As fancy as it may seem perhaps an exotic power source of some kind. Though I must admit I don't know enough about how things like this can be formed to make any educated guess.
Interesting article, thankss!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So much interesting stuff to study in the Moon and Mars, but not enough funding. It's weird we have the technology to study it, but not the will. Money really rules the world, and will also be our destruction.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Like your picture of the Moon base. I am with John Lear and others on this one, TPTB already have a secret base on the Dark Side of the Moon, and the secret military shuttle missions are for resupply and equipment transport. I also believe strongly that they have such a base on Mars, too, and a few years ago an accident claimed the lives of several thousand of them. It would stand to reason TPTB would be all about replacements....

They cant because there is NO dark side there is a far side but it gets as much sun as any other part of the Moon!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

I was wondering about that. Could you elaborate on that matter. Maybe point me in the right direction. I need to learn more about the moon.

I assumed the whole moon got sun eventually. Never checked on that one.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
maybe this is a potential site for the black triangle TR-3B craft's to drop off all the evolving humans swept up in the March 21, 2011 'rapture' "harvest"... and bring them to safety before the SHTF.

.. then fix them up and train them with their new abilities for their return. 1260 days later.......

.. granted .. need be for underground complexes and the such...

iee: revelation - and the lady israel stood on the moon...

//// hiiiighly straw grabbing speculation here people gimme a break.. COMEON!! //

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Could be, I suppose.

You guess is just about as good as anyone elses right now.

I think there is a being-made thingie there and it somehow cause the mini-force field. Guess we won't know for a long time....

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Reiner Gamma was on the interesting list by crew observations on Apollo 17.

In the AS17 Preliminary Science Report the claim that formation is one of the "Most Enigmatic Formations on the Moon."

Page 479, Part 28-29 Crew Observations AS17 PSR

Very perculiar area and lacking good Hi-res imagry! Ok a least to the public.

new topics

top topics

join