It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Ancient IKEA building (with instructions) discovered by Italian archaeologists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4417115ebac2.jpg[/atsimg]

Italian archaeologists have found the ruins of a 6th-century BC Greek temple-like structure in southern Italy that came with detailed assembly instructions and is being called an “ancient IKEA building”.

Massimo Osanna, head of archaeology at Basilica University, said that the team working at Torre Satriano near Potenza in what was once Magna Graecia had unearthed a sloping roof with red and black decorations, with “masculine” and “feminine” components inscribed with detailed directions on how they slotted together.

“So far around a hundred inscribed fragments have been recovered, with masculine ordinal numbers on the cymatiums and feminine ones on the friezes”. He said the result was “a kind of instruction booklet”. “The characteristics of these inscriptions indicate they date back to around the 6th century BC, which tallies with the architectural evidence suggested by the decoration,” Professor Osanna said.

Source: www.timesonline.co.uk...

Wow. I always say, keep on digging-you'll find something. We just have dug down far enough in most places. Very interesting they believe the instruction manual was there also.

Should be interesting to see how they decide to handle and ultimately display it all. I am working on a pic.

Here is another story that has a colored pic-but it is copyright protect: www.lifeinitaly.com... Beautiful piece of work.

[edit on 4/21/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
And somewhere, in the building you'll find a connector or screw or other piece that does not match, because the kit didn't come with the appropriate number of them.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
"Hey! What are we supposed to do with these extra bits here?"

"Dang it! Back to step gamma."

S + F Because this is a unique find in all seriousness.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Shark_Feeder]

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Shark_Feeder]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
And somewhere, in the building you'll find a connector or screw or other piece that does not match, because the kit didn't come with the appropriate number of them.

I suppose the comment "It's all Greek to me." wouldn't carry much weight here...
Very cool find, humorous to.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by RuneSpider]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wow what a cool find. Maybe one day we will find a ancient building with wires in it for electricity.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

That find would be the end of it all. Electricity back then-one can only dream for such a find. You're right though-that would be a good find.

As I say, keep on digging...deeper.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
That is really cool. S&F
Thanks for posting this info.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Did I completely miss the pic?!
Very interesting however.
good find.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Orwhen they do get it together as they near the final phase someone notices a small Made in China sticker.

They go to take it off and have difficulty. They then get the great idea of scraping it off..... only to MAR the item, less devaluating it.

And then left with a glue residue spot that nothing can get off-only color it a new color-which is worse than the last color.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Was going to make a thread about this until I found this post, anyway here is another link I found with some more pics:

news.discovery.com...

Have fun.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
this post is slathered in goodness

what a great find ! modular building in ancient Greece !!!!

iIm not surprised ,I mean I am pleasantly surprised and if the Greeks are smart they'll copy a version of this and Bingo a new industry for the Greeks!!

Ikea look out! How cool would that be?

top topics

join