It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoa- Two of the largest seismology networks in the world are down (UPDATE: They're back)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

SAMOA –
The USGS says a 6.2-magnitude earthquake has hit the Samoa
Islands region.

The quake struck 123 miles (198 kilometers) from the Samoa
islands at a depth of 19 miles (32 kilometers).

Police in the Samoan capital, Apia, say they have no reports on
the temblor. "We didn't feel any earthquake," an officer, who
declined to be named, said.

news.yahoo.com...

557 - 123 = 434 miles

even with this report, it doesn't appear to be the same quake

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well, there you have it, straight from Samoa: No quake. I think it was just a mistake, and I am willing to let it go at that. They're human, and do make mistakes. It happens.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

a mistake of over 400 miles????

let's hope and pray their nuclear missiles
are more accurate than that.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well, you see what this thread is about, right? A glitch or problem that caused these two huge networks to malfunction. The reporting error may very well had something to do with this.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So I'm curious, TrueAmerican, how did you feel during the time that all of those stations were down all at once? A little vulnerable?
I think it's a scary reminder of just how much we have come to rely on our technology. Imagine if ALL of it went away (not just the seismo networks), even for a breif period of time?

Could you imagine just sitting there in the dark, not having a clue as to what was happening, without even the ability to get on ATS and get the real scoop?

Anyways....hope this does not turn into a trend. They had a 3.5 reported in Yellowstone for awhile yesterday that 'disappeared' after about 15 min. Seems like it is happening more often lately.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
reply to post by TrueAmerican

a mistake of over 400 miles????

let's hope and pray their nuclear missiles
are more accurate than that.

I think it is TWO different earthquakes. That is how FOXNEWS is repoting it.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Umm yeah, I hear you, it is very frustrating to me. Keep in mind that right now I have some 60 stations around the world open in GEE. And as always, I watch yellowstone like a hawk. I believe that was another mistake. A 3.5 would have lit up the park like whoa. Easiest way is to go back and check the UofU seismos, and see what you find... I can't right now, gotta run for a bit, but I'll be back after a while...

[edit on Wed Apr 21st 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

yea, that's what I said too
but I was shot down

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
I think it is TWO different earthquakes. That is how FOXNEWS is repoting it.

Yeah, but Fox is going to get their data from the USGS, just like everyone else. Everyone else including us at ATS, except here we go the extra mile and find out the real deal. Which is, in this case, and just imo, a mistake.

A 6.2 in Samoa would not usually generate a concern of tsunami, but it's just big enough, depending on the where the epicenter was, to definitely check to make sure. And if I recall, no wait, I am sure of it...I remember now- I checked out the details of that quake and it indeed had come from one of tsunami warning centers initially. Aha, bingo. That's where the problem was. The tsunami warning center reported on it, and the USGS upon further review axed it. The warning center was wrong.

I can pretty well bet you now that's what happened.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
A little while ago, I picked up a sizeable event in Hawaii. It registered 1.2 MM/Sec in GEE at station HV.STC which is on the southeastern flank of Mauna Loa, the largest volcano on the face of planet Earth. The station is positioned at Steam Cracks. I have been monitoring it lately.

So I have been waiting eagerly to see what in the heck is up with that. Nothing here:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

EDIT: That event I pointed to was on the 14th, not today. So this event I saw is still unresolved. Hmm...

[edit on Wed Apr 21st 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I live in Estonia and in our news it said today morning, that there was 6.2 earthquake in Samoa, but no data about victims or tsunami alert.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
can anyone access station II.ERM.00 its been down on GEE for me since yesterday any info?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
lol just thought id say that i noticed that evryones comments are posted in april lol hows that?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
lol wow just realized that it is from last year..... nvm lol

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Is putting 'WHOA!' in the title of threads the new way of getting it some attention?

Anyway. Someone's manipulating seismology networks to hide Earthquakes from the general population? Think about that for a minute. All this daft hysteria about Earthquakes, jesus. Some of you guys need to take a look in the mirror. A few weeks ago animals were dying in large numbers, so everyone goes overboard, putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5. This week, it's earthquakes, just because that's the biggest thing that happens to be going on. But some of you just can't help but jump on the hysteria bandwagon. It's not the end of the world, it's not caused by the Sun, or by shifting poles or any other nonsense like that. Just take a rational approach to thinking for 5 minutes and you'll realise this. And guess what, techtonic plate systems are connected.. that means if there's a large earthquake in an area, there are likely to be reactive earthquakes in adjacent areas too. It's normal. It does not spell doom and gloom for the entire world! Idiots!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join