It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roethlisberger suspended by NFL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, the NFL announced.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback also was ordered to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation. Commissioner Roger Goodell will evaluate Roethlisberger's progress before the season and might consider reducing the suspension to four games.

ESPN

Well, as a Steeler fan this really sucks.

I really thought the suspension would be 3 games. They're really sending a message this time.

Steelers signed Leftwich yesterday, this is a good thing and I think Dennis Dixon would do ok if given a chance to play.

GO STEELERS !!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I watch (America) Football as much as I possibly can but we don’t get it much over here and the same is for NFL related news so this is kind of surprising to hear right now to say the least. lol

Although it may be good news for mendenhall as he'll no doubt get more touches of the ball now which is definitely a good thing since he is definitely someone to watch out for...Well IMO

Also excuse my ignorance but like I said we don’t get NFL news much over here but I just did a search and they say his charges have been completely dropped so why is he banned for 6 games still?

…I know I’m missing something really obvious here.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Yeah, no charges filed, but it's his off the field conduct that they're going after him.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Don't worry, Leftwich's arm will break on his first pass and they'll reduce the suspension to 4 games.

Edit to add: I think the Steelers may have wanted such a big suspension, even without proof, because of the Santonio Holmes thing. They don't want a black/white PR nightmare.

Peace

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Ah man, that's a shame then.

But they're a great team still and like I said Mendenhall should get more touches this way (as leftwich isn't much to shout about IMO) so they should still be fairly ok.

Still a playoff team!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Rooneys aren't a family to tolerate much in the way of behavior issues. I think the team would've suspended him no matter what the NFL did. I notice the Steelers' first 6 games are all on regional telecast. They don't play a national coverage game until their 7th.

Coincidence?

Leftwich will do ok as a short term fill in. The Steelers don't need him to throw 50 times a game.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

You're just a Colts fan used to the good life, what could you possibly know about anything?

See you on Week 1.

Peace

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

If you still had Sage Rosenfels, I'd be worried.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndd ATS Smack Talk 2010 BEGINS!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Mmm, I'm a little torn on this whole thing ... for essentially, considering the absence of criminal evidence, they are essentially suspending him for being a douchebag.

Having been in the night club business for the greater part of my life I can tell you for a fact that his behavior is pretty consistent with at least half of professional athletes. Heck where mrs sdog works here in DC they have banned almost all the Redskins from the premises simply because they're more hassle than they're worth. The Caps are on a short leash.

Mind you I am not in any way condoning what Ben did here, I just don't know, nor do most other people, know what it is that he did. Most of this stems from being repeatedly accused but never prosecuted. I can also tell you that this is also rather common in clubs as you wouldn't believe the amount of girls that throw themselves at athletes. Some for fun and games and others just to find a reason to sue and extort money.

I'm shocked these guys are even stupid enough to go out in clubs anymore ... still, six games for being a douche seems a little high.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I disagree. Anybody can screw up. He demonstrates a pattern of placing himself in situations where bad things happen. That goes beyond douchebaggery all the way to plain stupid. He can do whatever he wants. He just needs to decide whether hanging out in the clubs is a better deal than being the public face of an elite franchise and making more money than the GDP of some small countries.

Some of these guys think because they're rich and famous, they're immune to consequences. Sorry, you've got to be wealthy to reach that point. Ben is rich. The guy that pays him is wealthy.

I think 6 games might be enough of a chain yank to get his attention. If it isn't, he'll be on the next plane to Oakland.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

The Steelers or Colts or whoever don't want a piece of the Texans this year, you can count on it.

Cushing and Ryans are going MMA.

Peace

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

He demonstrates a pattern of placing himself in situations where bad things happen. That goes beyond douchebaggery all the way to plain stupid.

Granted, but I put it to you that for the most part what differentiates him with at least a half of his peers is a pattern of hanging out in clubs where people talk. Again, please understand I am not condoning his behavior ... but in the clubs I worked at and owned, and the one's mrs sdog has worked and is working at, we could have half the players of the local teams suspended on a permanent rotating basis given their nightly behavior.

Like I said in the previous post I am amazed that these guys even take the chance to go out, heck some of them aren't even smart enough to pay for a driver that they can obviously afford and decide to drive home drunk every night lest they miss the opportunity to show off the phat rims on their new Lambo. In the process playing career (or life threatening) Russian roulette on a weekly basis.

ETA: The cynic/realist in me sees these sort of suspensions as PR exercises to protect the NFL and Steeler brands more than anything else, plus it's not like the Steelers are averse to saving 3 or so mil ... social virtues being the least relevant factors in such decision making. Keep in mind, not only was Ben not found guilty of anything, he has never even been arrested!

ETalsoA: Unless I am looking at the wrong document I'm not even sure he violated the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy.

Correction: It looks like the commish sent a memo just a few days ago to expand the policy in anticipation of this suspension.

"The Policy makes clear that NFL and club personnel must do more than simply avoid criminal behavior. We must conduct ourselves in a way that 'is responsible, that promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful.' This standard reflects the recognition that the conduct and behavior of our players and other league and team employees is critically important. Whether it involves your team or another, these incidents affect us all -- every investigation, arrest, or other allegation of improper conduct undermines the respect for our league by our fans, lessens the confidence of our business partners and threatens the continued success of our brand. nfl
(emphasis mine to highlight the ludicrously broad interpretation and application potential)

You know, I'm smelling a little conspiraceh here ... no one, including BR or the union seems to be putting much of an objection here, maybe he's just counting his lucky stars he didn't get arrested/convicted and is just taking whatever they dish out hoping to put the whole thing behind him.

[edit on 21 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

For his sake, I hope he can, and learn from this and stay the hell out of places where this kind of nonsense can happen. There are maybe a half dozen guys on the planet that have the opportunity he does. If he blows it, it's all on him.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
they are essentially suspending him for being a douchebag.

Hopefully ATS doesnt adopt that policy otherwise we would both be suspended

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I really wish Big Ben never got into this trouble. Especially with last years disappointment with not getting in the playoffs. No team wants to face them in any playoff game. Out of 7 times we went to the Superbowl we have one 6 times. Every Steelers fan is eager for another Superbowl win but this will definitely set us back. Dont you wish the suspension included preseason games???

top topics

join