It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't the american media ever say anything positive about african looking people?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I mean really. We make up only 15% of the population but they clutter bandwidth with negative and racist indoctrination/news/cops. Since they make up 60% of the population and there are more american european criminals than american african criminals by a LARGE margin why down they just put more american european faces on the nightly news every day? It would be fair. It just seems kind of that 15% is represented by the media negatively and a population than is almost 60% is underrepresented in something that they lead on.(kind of logical, larger group = more criminals so it makes since)

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? The American media is slobbering over themselves about their love for Obama. Didn't one guy say he got a tingeling feeling running up his leg when he saw him? I don't know what your seeing.

-E-

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Even in their slobbering praise there is an awful lot of degradation. The fact that they bothered to make it a big deal that "a black man was elected" is indicative of bigotry. Like "OMG who would have thought a woman could work outside of a kitchen".

There's also the fact that so many seem to believe a great deal of the dislike for this administration goes no deeper than "he's black." Naturally the man couldnt have any questionable policies, beliefs or practices. He's just a black guy.

And there's "he's just the chair because he's black" Michael Steele.

Praise can be just as hateful if it's praise for a hateful reason.

Such a well-spoken and articulate black guy.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Probably because black people make up 12% of the population and 36% of the offender rate for homicide, usually against other black victims.So though blacks may be stereotyped it is not without some merit.However it's not all bad news I've noticed over the years more positive black role models in hollywood and on US tv.But any group can be demonised in Bush's reign anti war protesters were Anti American hippies, anti globalization protesters were violent anarchists and now tea partiers are klan supporting Tim Mcviegh wannabes.I think it comes from dreadful hysterical opinion based news the US is famous for.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
To op what about obama?

In uk same with irish, its a minority not liked by higher ups, irish people are definite targets in uk. Its just the way it is. Minorities always get treated like this.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This thread is ridiculous!

There is one demographic group in our country that the media holds zero restraint when dealing with:

White Males

This is common knowledge. It has been "open season" on the white male for many years now, and it has been accepted by our nation.

Out of all minority groups, the African American enjoys restraint and spin more than anyone else. The media will do almost anything to keep from sounding biased.

I think the first thing the OP would have to do, is begin keeping a tally of positive, news-worthy African American activity that is NOT making it into the news that the media is offering the public.

Then, this can be compared to the amount of negative news-worthy activity that IS making it to the news offered by the media.

THEN, the numbers can be looked at, and if it is warranted, a statement, such as has been made in this topic, can be substantiated.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
They never have anything good to say about anyone or anything really, I think people just notice it more if it's about their race or someone they like. Bad news sells. They get more viewers talking about some guy who murdered his entire family than they do talking about a girl scout troup that did a bake sale to rebuild a park. If that guy happens to be black, they can make it about race. If he happens to be ex-military or police, they can make it about the military or the police. The more outrageous they can make a story the better, as far as they're concerned. That's why I prefer to get my news in print. It cuts out some of the sensationalized chatter while they discuss what they're reporting instead of just sticking to facts.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
there's a part in Bowling for Columbine which points out this demonization and attempts to explain it away. It has to do with keeping people in constant states of fear because scared consumers are busy consumers, or something like that.

Recommended viewing

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

You want to see television say something good about "African looking people" (that sounds stupid by the way), then watch BET or CNN.

If blacks don't want negative coverage then they need to stop doing negative things.

Thats a pretty easy solution right there.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Please tell me you're joking!! I mean no offense to you, as I believe people see what they choose to see. But as a quickly-approaching-40 *white* person, (like it even matters), my television is quite full of dark-skinned-people "worship". I have basic cable, and at any given point, I can flip through my channels and find Oprah, any number of black newscasters, Obama, black politicians, black super models with their reality and talk shows, rap and hip hop videos (which are not appropriate for ANY race, I might add), black chef shows on the food channels, black sitcoms - reruns AND new ones, and let's not forget the discriminating BET channel.

Personally, when someone does wrong, it shouldn't matter what color they are. Who gives a rat's *ss what shade of brown or white commits more crime??? I don't! I've been in predominantly white neighborhoods that have been just as bad and as scary as some predominantly black and/or hispanic neighborhoods. People need to get off this skin color stigma, and stop taking the ill deeds of others with similar skin tones so freaking personal. YOU didn't do what they did, so why does it bother you so much? I don't cheat on my spouse, I don't steal federal funds or misuse federal money, yet there are PLENTY of white politicians out there who do. Do I take it personal? HECK NO!! And if someone wants to stereotype me because of my skin color, (to include being prejudice against other skin tones), then that's their hangup, not mine.

Bottom line...you are no less or no more of a person because of what you see or don't see on TV. Be proud of who you are, stand tall in your OWN morals and behaviors....and if they are good and strong enough, you will never again find yourself identifying with or taking personal the actions of those within your race. This goes to EVERYONE, not just blacks. Does skin color really matter....I mean REALLY?? Or does the content of one's heart matter more? I think, deep down, we all know the right answer to that one.

Judge people, if you must judge at all, by their deeds and the fruits of their actions.....not by anything else. Live your life the best way you can, always seek improvement, and if the content of your television bothers you that much, then turn it off. I think we'd all be a lot better off if we did that anyway.

My tone is not intended to be offensive, but this touched on something that I see regularly, even in day to day life. I'm so tired of hearing people cry out "equality, equality", yet they do nothing for THEMSELVES to make it so, except protest, and make things miserable for the innocent bystanders. We have plenty to complain about to, but some of us choose NOT to focus on the negative. I find it absurd that many of these types of people expect everyone else to change their life for them....to cater to THEM, instead of compromise or even, *gasp* (God forbid), CHANGE THEMSELVES to positively affect their surroundings!

The percentage of bigots in this country will never make me ashamed to be white, and I will never associate with their attitudes. There will always be inequality, injustice, and unfairness.....for EVERYONE! The problem with this generation is their inability to accept it, be positive with the life they were given, and seek to make the world a better place in spite of their own personal hurdles. Be grateful your life isn't as bad as much of the world right now.

Does no one these days consider that we all have EXACTLY what we deserve and have earned? If you don't like what you currently have, earn something better! We all create our own existence through the actions in both this life and previous lives...karma can suck, but it can also be really great. Do good unto others, and it will get done unto you. EVERYTHING you do comes right back to you. NOTHING is hidden...nothing! We cannot exert energy in actions, thoughts, emotions or words and just have that energy disappear....it goes out into the world and it finds it's way back to us, but it NEVER disappears. We can diminish it's affects by countering it somehow, but energy is energy, and so is karma.

Is everyone understanding this??? Nothing you do is secret! Live life with that knowledge, and you just might find yourself in a way better position than you ever imagined.

Sorry for the parental tone, but I AM a parent.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by INQUISITION11
Probably because black people make up 12% of the population and 36% of the offender rate for homicide, usually against other black victims.So though blacks may be stereotyped it is not without some merit.However it's not all bad news I've noticed over the years more positive black role models in hollywood and on US tv.But any group can be demonised in Bush's reign anti war protesters were Anti American hippies, anti globalization protesters were violent anarchists and now tea partiers are klan supporting Tim Mcviegh wannabes.I think it comes from dreadful hysterical opinion based news the US is famous for.

who makes up the other 64%?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by UruFist
This thread is ridiculous!

There is one demographic group in our country that the media holds zero restraint when dealing with:

White Males hahahahaha! tell that to white women and thier glass ceiling in positions of management. They are outprioritized by men most of the time. Now for black men....we get (soft)banned from whole industries FYI

This is common knowledge. It has been "open season" on the white male for many years now, and it has been accepted by our nation.

Name one incident and I'll pull up 30 for american african thats worse.

Out of all minority groups, the African American enjoys restraint and spin more than anyone else. The media will do almost anything to keep from sounding biased.

Fox news. Their so racially psychopathic that even rush limbough likes em. I guess they love mexicans and african too. hahahaha!

I think the first thing the OP would have to do, is begin keeping a tally of positive, news-worthy African American activity that is NOT making it into the news that the media is offering the public.

So is there more positive than negative news? of course there is. Its also boring. TV pedals sensationalism. No one is going to give a crap if some other race is being used by the media as a cheap ratings bump to chum right wing race obsessors. When was the last thing the media said positive about arabs?

Then, this can be compared to the amount of negative news-worthy activity that IS making it to the news offered by the media.

Why don't you research and show us your findings.

THEN, the numbers can be looked at, and if it is warranted, a statement, such as has been made in this topic, can be substantiated.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
of course it was a big deal a black man got elected president, if Hillary would of been elected it would have been a big deal too, for so long America has only elected older white males, so if a woman or black man gets elected it is a big deal, why do black people always think the white man is out to get them, black people get way more benefits then the white man, and that's a fact!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man

You want to see television say something good about "African looking people" (that sounds stupid by the way), then watch BET or CNN.

If blacks don't want negative coverage then they need to stop doing negative things.

Thats a pretty easy solution right there.

BET? CNN? lol!

CNN with racist glen beck and anti-mexican luo dobbs?

I am going to ignore what you said on BET. Thats the work channel I have ever seen in my life. Black Extermination Television.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
white people do terrible things everyday but statistically black people do more bad things, It seems to me every black person thinks they are owed something, they already have the negro college fund, they qualify easily for medicaid, food stamps, TANF, and all sorts of other programs that most of them just take advantage of anyway, I mean seriously get over the racist issue and step up to the plate and become a responsible human being,and maybe you wont be talked about so much on television!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by brooklyn87
of course it was a big deal a black man got elected president, if Hillary would of been elected it would have been a big deal too, for so long America has only elected older white males, so if a woman or black man gets elected it is a big deal, why do black people always think the white man is out to get them, black people get way more benefits then the white man, and that's a fact!!

I don't think "the white men is trying to get me" but I do think corperations,state,drug cartels,pharma and local manicipalities are trying to farm me and other people of african origin here in america.

I mean they are farming you but in a different way. I wonder if the private prison owners that leech the government for billions want blacks to succeed? nope.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
they dont want anyone to succeed if the middle class succeed that means less money in their pockets!! ts not just you!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
As African American male living in a 90% white rural town.I let my actions speak for myself.Hard working,Family oriented and rational.I have no problems with anyone where i am,because i only worry about my personal growth and development.In other words i dont worry about what the media says about blacks i only worry about what people think of me.so as to what is said on the MSM is about those who chose to be that.

And i am not affected by those views its a matter of Self betterment,no one can take away from you but you.....

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by brooklyn87
white people do terrible things everyday but statistically black people do more bad things, It seems to me every black person thinks they are owed something, they already have the negro college fund, they qualify easily for medicaid, food stamps, TANF, and all sorts of other programs that most of them just take advantage of anyway, I mean seriously get over the racist issue and step up to the plate and become a responsible human being,and maybe you wont be talked about so much on television!!

Well if your 7 times more likely to be arrested weither you did ANYTHING or not might distort your numbers. Racial profiling is very real and a tool commonly used.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Beck hasnt been on CNN for a couple of years now and Dobbs retired a while ago.

But yeah, BET is definitely run by Klansmen. Every depiction of a black American on that network is a raging stereotype or absurd caricature.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join