It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: Iran strike 'off the table'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

www.jpost.com

By AP
21/04/2010 15:07

Defense official says Washington hopes talks, sanctions will suffice.
Talkbacks (2)

SINGAPORE — The US has ruled out a military strike against Iran's nuclear program any time soon, hoping instead negotiations and United Nations sanctions will prevent the Middle East nation from developing nuclear weapons, a top US defense department official said Wednesday.

"Military force is an option of last resort," Undersecretary of Defense for Poli
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Has anyone else heard about this from some other source? The Jerusalem Post is the only one I have found mention of it for now.

This presents some interesting questions. Are they serious? If so, for how long? Maybe they really are serious when they mentioned not having a plan for Iran. Maybe this is just disinformation. I guess time will tell.

www.jpost.com

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Wow, that sounds like someone is trying to give the hawks in Israel the appearance that their hand has been forced..

Not sure I like this one bit... sounds ominous if you ask me... I'd be less worried with US strikes on the table since that appears more restrictive on Israel taking action on it's own.

[edit on 21/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't think a US strike on Iran was ever on the table. IIRC the extent of US involvement was allowing Israel to use Iraqi airspace so they could strike Iran.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by METACOMET]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I'm surprised anyone would mention this being taken off the table, at least publicly anyway. Can you imagine the PR that will be flowing out of Iran with this? I'm wondering what TPTB are really up to.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60

Has anyone else heard about this from some other source? The Jerusalem Post is the only one I have found mention of it for now.

This presents some interesting questions. Are they serious? If so, for how long? Maybe they really are serious when they mentioned not having a plan for Iran. Maybe this is just disinformation. I guess time will tell.

www.jpost.com

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

Yes Wayne...The same article was posted by AP via The Age in Australia earlier today...

Unfortunately the article is no longer visible on their website, so I can't post a link...

As it was reported by AP, I would say this "Undersecretary for Defense" did indeed utter those words...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

That makes sense. After all, the Israeli's have been conducting more long-range air training missions in recent times.

But wouldn't it make more sense to not let the Iranians know from which direction the hammer was going to fall?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

personally, the US and UK "appear" to be taking the hands off, distance themselves from Israel..

Almost as tho they are now standing in the back with hands behind their backs whistling innocently..

So that if Israel does strike, the Iranian response is to attack Western assets (US/UK, which they have already threatened to do) thus we are embroiled in the mess while being able to claim we had no part of it and was struck first..

Another point to ponder is the inceased anti-American attitude of some press items in Israel.. which i am sure is just to give the hawks a free hand to do what they want to..

I'm used to see such things about Britain, but not about the US.. so would assume this piece written for Israeli consumption.. i.e to give the impression they are on their own.

How else will the public of any nation accept the premise they need to go to war? that needs major buy in from the general public..

So the Isreali public sees it as defensive, and when Iran attacks Western aseets the attacks appear unprovoked..

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Thanks. I saw the mention of AP on the JP article, but I just wanted a little more confirmation. I would have thought it would be big news in Tehran, but there was no mention of it on the Tehran Times awhile ago. And unless I've overlooked it, RT has not mentioned it yet either.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This was also in Washington Post without any sources mentioned, but "top US official" - yeah, right! - Havent we heard these before?

US needs to take soon steps away from Israel in public eye, witch soon will start those bombings. US need to show them selfs as defenders in moment of ME red alert.

This is clear MSM Agenda news without truth.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60
reply to post by METACOMET

But wouldn't it make more sense to not let the Iranians know from which direction the hammer was going to fall?

I'm quite sure their only choice is to use Iraqi airspace. If they don't get permission, they don't have any other infiltration point.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

As the saying goes This is chess, it ain't checkers. I'm kind of new to looking over at the JP, so I'm still getting a feel for why they say what they say. So I can see what you're saying. The US gets to play the innocent bystander, but when the dust settles, everybody gets dirty.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I repeat my comment but with underlining it now...

MSM AGENDA NEWS!

This news break as the most breaking top headline to ALL Israeli news at very same moment just moment ago! That would not happen, if it was not ment to happen like this - News by unnamed source - and thats a breaking news?

Its already said here, that this news will give to Israeli a feeling that they are left to act alone now, and after this kind of mass hypnosis - they will... Any moment now.

No wonder why Iran is gearing up for drills in Hormuz - now its interesting to see what will happen in Lebanon and Syria - "drills" coming there too?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Israel is gonna strike very soon. The US recently signaled it was backing away from tough sanctions in order to get China on-side. Now it's backing away from military action too. It's pretty obvious what the plan is here - let Israel make the first move, draw Iran into an attack on US interests, the US can join the fight in "self defense" or in order to protect the world's resources (the Straights, Saudi oil fields, etc) and the US comes out looking like the good guy who got dragged into a fight to help sort the mess out. China and Russia won't get involved (aside from making some noise at the UN) because the US has already assured them it won't let anything disrupt the oil flowing to them. And it better work or China/Russia may well get involved down the line if they think the US is messing them around.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I catch some name as source - ok, its Debka - but something...

US deputy defense secretary Michele Flournoy said Wednesday, April 21: "The US has ruled out a military strike against Iran's nuclear program any time soon." This is the first time a senior administration official has publicly admitted that America has dropped its military option against Iran. Instead, said Flournoy, the US is hoping that "negotiations and United Nations sanctions will prevent the Middle East nation from developing nuclear weapons." Addressing a news conference in Singapore, she said clearly: "Military force is an option of last resort, it's off the table in the near term."

www.debka.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
China and Russia won't get involved (aside from making some noise at the UN) because the US has already assured them it won't let anything disrupt the oil flowing to them. And it better work or China/Russia may well get involved down the line if they think the US is messing them around.

Well you could think they won't get involved but if the US opens another front right now they'd be crazy not to get involved. The US economy certainly can't handle it and if North Korea starts misbehaving at the same time America commits to Iran they might find themselves outmanned and overstretched, unable to put out both brushfires at once and then open themselves for a devastating strike.

If America got punched in the face hard enough it might very well give up on the idea of being superpower anymore without resorting to nukes.

A swift economic and military strike could cripple the USA for some time if it was done properly.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Turkey, witch are totally giving good sings towards Iran and moving hostile towards Israel is giving this news out:

Report: US Preps for Possible Strike on Iran

www.turkishweekly.net...

BTW - What is situation with carriers now?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

China and Russia won't get involved (aside from making some noise at the UN) because the US has already assured them it won't let anything disrupt the oil flowing to them. And it better work or China/Russia may well get involved down the line if they think the US is messing them around.

Well you could think they won't get involved but if the US opens another front right now they'd be crazy not to get involved. The US economy certainly can't handle it and if North Korea starts misbehaving at the same time America commits to Iran they might find themselves outmanned and overstretched, unable to put out both brushfires at once and then open themselves for a devastating strike.

If America got punched in the face hard enough it might very well give up on the idea of being superpower anymore without resorting to nukes.

A swift economic and military strike could cripple the USA for some time if it was done properly.

China and Russia don't want a fight with the US - it would be disaster for all concerned. They understand that Israel won't be held back any longer and that the US has no choice but to help them (or Israel will use the nuclear option) and so they'll take a back seat and see how it pans out - as long as it doesn't impact their own interests too much.

I think, actually, that Russia and China are probably sympathetic to the US's position. They know if the US doesn't get involved the Middle East will collapse into chaos and Israel will use nukes. Then China and Russia will have to get involved themselves because they NEED that oil.

NK is a problem - it's no coincidence they're planning a 3rd nuclear test. However, the US has a nice bargaining chip in Taiwan.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

China and Russia don't want a fight with the US - it would be disaster for all concerned. They understand that Israel won't be held back any longer and that the US has no choice but to help them (or Israel will use the nuclear option) and so they'll take a back seat and see how it pans out - as long as it doesn't impact their own interests too much.

Why don't they want a fight with the US? I'm fairly sure the only reason people don't go to war with America all the time is they're really sore winners

And because it's really difficult to win against them. But what if China and Russia thought they could win? It's not like the public in America is in a very good mood right now. America could be made to step off if the right amount of pressure was applied and the US couldn't really sustain much carnage on their own soil before they decided to call it quits. Especially with all those people south of the boarder watching on with glee waiting for a chance to cause chaos.

Americas fall would be much like Romes.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

The US source mentioned in the OP is "Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Michele Flournoy." Source which apparently JP picked up the story off of the AP.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join