It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rooster lays eggs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Granted I'm no expert but I'd say it is a male. I can see his McNuggets.

Sorry, that was a bad yolk.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

This picture gives me really weird feelings inside.

it's a little thing called: cognitive dissonance

He's a trans-gender, legally married. He has said that sterilization is not a legal requirement for sex reassignment so he decided to keep his reproductive rights. He says that he believes wanting to have a child is a human desire (not a male or female desire)...

[edit on 21-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yes this Cognitive dissonance came in the form of puke all over my keyboard

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
i think its fake.

The egg in frount of the rooster looks photoshopped in.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

You mean because they had an egg shortage they decided to fake the photograph instead of going round to the neighbour's to borrow one?

Meh. I think it's swamp gas

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Whoa. Check out the shredded papers in the cage. It looks like an Obama Italian Birth Certificate.

BTW Hooters called. They are mulling over a few breakfast sandwich ideas. Can't yet decide on which to serve first, chicken or egg.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Hey, nicely spotted on that shredded paper.

And Soetero is very nearly an anagram of rooster.

We may have something here

[edit on 22-4-2010 by berenike]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is an excellent example of Intelligent Design! Further evidence that God intervenes in the day to day lives of everyone, and everything on earth! I'm not sure why he made this rooster in this way but it just shows how mysterious he truly is. If this was evolution then it would have taken much much longer!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Puts a new slant on the chicken / egg dilemma, I think

Yea i guess it was the rooster all along...who knew?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Reminds me of that bit from old Woody Allen movie. He had an uncle or something who thought he was a chicken. They neglected to take him to a shrink because they enjoyed all the free eggs.

Not quite as good as this though.

Virgin wool?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
one thing for sure about this rooster...

"NONO noooo noooooo....Ya know he ain't gonna DIIIEEEEE -yai-yai -yaiiiiiiiii"

-

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Nature buildes for survival there are whole species of animals that when there are no females around the reproduce by asexual means, and vice versa. Theoretically if you know the exact genes that are responsible for gender and if you somehow can change them then the body would slowly change to the new patern. This chicken does not impress me if birds evolved from dinosaurs, whats a sex change compared to that. I guess if a meteor drops and kills allmost everybody nature will work with what survives. This still does not answer what came first the, chicken or the egg.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Granted I'm no expert but I'd say it is a male. I can see his McNuggets.

Sorry, that was a bad yolk.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

As a person who has plucked and butchered dozens of chickens, both male and female, I have to say----his McNuggets are actually INSIDE, not outside. They're located about where our kidneys are, tight up against the backbone at the very end of the body cavity.

This is nothing but a hen with a larger-than-usual comb and wattles, nothing out of the ordinary. Anyone who's raised chickens has probably had a few masculine-looking hens or feminine-looking roosters whose sex was a little ambiguous when just looking at plumage and comb/wattles.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well, I decided to do a little bit of research and I have a theory. Possibly, Gianni started life as a female, changed sex to male because of an ovarian condition, then changed back to female.

www.feathersite.com...

In a normal female bird only the left ovary is active. Due to infections or other problems, this ovary may cease to function. In that case the right overy becomes active, but for some reason produces more testosterone and causes the bird to develop male plumage and secondary sex characteristics, although it will never become fully male. Hens may begin to crow.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A sex-change chicken which started life as an egg-laying hen has turned into a crowing cockerel.
The pet, called Freaky, spent eight months laying dozens of eggs until she crowed like a cock bird one morning.
Over the next few weeks, she sprouted a scarlet comb, grew red flaps called wattles under her chin and tufty tail feathers - all attributes of cockerels.
Owner Jo Richards, of Saltford, near Bristol, said: "I've kept chickens for 10 years but I've never heard of such a thing."
Animal experts said Freaky's sexchangewas a one-in-10,000 rarity. It happens when a damaged ovary causes the hen's testosterone levels to soar, turning the remaining ovary into a testicle.
Freaky, a silver-laced Wyandotte hen, now crows every sunrise, aggressively attacks other males and even tries to mate with his old female friends.
Victoria Roberts, of the Poultry Club of Great Britain, said: "This is very, very rare. I've been keeping poultry for 35 years and I've seen it only once."

www.bbcfocusmagazine.com...

Can chickens really change gender?
WILLIAM SPURR, COLCHESTER
It depends on how you define gender. The chromosomes that normally control the physical differences between male and female are fixed at the moment of fertilisation and cannot change. But the sex chromosomes work by coding for enzymes that affect the bird’s development in the egg and during its life. These enzymes are sensitive to temperature and if eggs fertilised with male chromosomes are cooled by a few degrees for three days after laying, the relative activity of the sex hormones will favour development of female characteristics. (In reptiles, temperature is entirely responsible for determining sex.) In about 10 per cent of cases, this cooling will produce a chicken with a fully functioning and reproductively fertile female body-type; even though the chicken is genetically male.

And a more in-depth article:
www.wired.com...

[edit on 24-4-2010 by berenike]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by berenike
reply to post by Zmurfix

Well, I know bog all about chickens so I was prepared to accept it as a rooster

(Believe it or not, my neighbour's rooster is squawking his head off as I am making this post).

In the interests of fair play here are some pictures of roosters (roosters according to google) so we can make a comparison:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dba88940d1da.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a632a574861.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81c2a9894069.jpg[/atsimg]
Here's Gianni again:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1af9f752c225.jpg[/atsimg]

Sorry I couldn't find any pictures of the same breed. See Aeon's video below which was posted during the time it took me to find and post these pictures.

It's hard to see Gianni's feet properly and his tail is tucked into the back of his box, but I think he looks male.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by berenike]

The first and last photos are bad examples based on their breed. The Buff Orfington in the first photo looks just like a female. And the The 3 male Rhodes in the last photo aren't even a year old yet so they look like hens aside from the due claw or what ever you want to call it.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Thanks for proving my point.

I really do know nothing about chickens

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
'Gender switching' has been known to occur in peafowl as well. Although, I've heard of that one going both ways.

It also occurs in certain fish and some lizards.

No reputable documented case occuring in a mammal however. (That I've come across anyway.)

I can't really tell from the photo if that is a rooster or a hen... Could be.

It's hard to say if the birds that this occurs in are hermaphrodites or some strange xxy chromosome mix or whatever anomaly... Or, it could be genuine, straight forward (albeit rare... and no pun intended,) reproductive strategy in some birds.

Sure is weird though.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
BBC News had an article a few weeks back about a half rooster / half hen.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The left, white, side of this bird is male. The right, brown, side is female.

"About one in every 10,000 chickens is gynandromorphous, to use the technical term."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join