It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on campers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
While playing COD MW2 i often get abusive msg's from people... often swearing at me and calling me names like gay etc... All of this seems to be based around my tactics...

Camping!!

Now before anyone flames me for admitting to this apparently "dirty, cheating tactic"... Consider this...

When i play computer games i play it not to rack up statistics... I play it for escapism... I like to immerse myself in another world for a few hours (yeah i know, sad for a 37 year old) But, for a couple of hours in the evening i am a fully trained commando

I sneak around the map... find a good spot... and wait to ambush the bad guys!

What’s so bad about that??? It is NOT breaking any rules of the game!! It is NOT exploiting any glitches or using any form of software cheat!!!

It IS applying some realism to the game... To these people, who scream “camping fag" when i slot them for the fourth time, do you honestly think that in the real world solders run around like Usain Bolt on Amphetamines with a shotgun in each hand?

Personally i hate the "run around like headless chicken while jumping constantly" players... but i don’t yell abuse at them!!! Nor do i notice others yelling abuse at them.

So why do i get it??

And if these people would calm down a little and apply some logic... they would soon work out how to get me... Just lob a grenade... or snipe me from a distance... maybe even come at me from a different direction... But don’t come charging down the same corridor for the fourth time and then cry like a baby when i slot you, again!!!

I paid my £45 for the game... surely no one has the right to tell me how to play MY game!!! Especially when i am NOT cheating!!!

So... what are your thoughts on this? Do you hate campers? If so why? And do you send them abusive msg’s?

I would very much like to know the thought process behind this!

Edit to say...

I am not talking about Spawn camping that you used to get in games such as BF1942 which is widely considered to be exploiting the game mechanics!!

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Actually, I usually snipe, so I understand where you are coming from. Although, I am a pretty active sniper in that, I don't stay in the same spot for too ungodly long.

I take preventative measures for campers. I usually don't run unless I have to traverse a good distance or get quickly to cover. I usually carefully walk through tight areas (and even some open when i can) with my M1014 and always keep my eyes open for people like you.

It's pretty effective to say the least (as it only usually takes me one shot to do the deed), so campers don't really bother me much. Basically I think if a camper gets you it's only because you weren't paying enough attention to your surroundings.

I would suggest moving around a bit more, you will probably rack up more kills that way.

P.S. Akimbo shot gunners are nubs.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Camping is just capitalizing on the stupidity of those who refuse to learn from their mistakes. I might not be a FPS player but in my game of choice (World of Warcraft) I have no qualms with repeatedly killing someone who doesn't learn the weaknesses of my class and use them to their advantage, maybe thats how I managed to hit almost 20k lifetime honor kills on one character...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

I know what you mean there. I had a rogue in full brutal during BC and it was always the most under geared players that tried to gank me. Most of them where warriors... I pwnt wars back then. Ah those where the good ol days.

I stopped playing after Ulduar basically because they made the game too easy while trying to mold it to the casual player.

I got tired of nonstop tank and spank fights. (sure there where some alternatives to that but really it was mostly tank and spank.)

What happened to the creativity Blizzard?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

ICC is moderately hard I would say, mostly in getting everyone to switch targets, drag spores, kite ooze and the like. Heck my guild hasn't even managed to clear the Plagueworks wing yet and we've been on it for at least a month now.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I am a pretty active sniper in that, I don't stay in the same spot for too ungodly long.

Same here... i normally get 2 or 3 kills and then move to another spot if safe to do so. However, i have stayed in the same spot for an entire game and racked up 20+ kills.

It's pretty effective to say the least (as it only usually takes me one shot to do the deed), so campers don't really bother me much. Basically I think if a camper gets you it's only because you weren't paying enough attention to your surroundings.

Yeah... exactly my point... good players such as yourself no how to avoid my little traps and either bypass them completely or take me out with a snipers shot or a nade.

I would suggest moving around a bit more, you will probably rack up more kills that way.

I do

P.S. Akimbo shot gunners are nubs.

True
However, it is there right to play in that manner... no matter how annoying i find it

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
1st i aint no camp but not because i got something bad about it...i just cant wait in 1 spot i love to run and get the feeling of what is happening...i call people campers ok when they kill me and they are camping though..but you know you are just being shot and wait for the round to finish you will not certainly call them LOve

here is my sniper montage ..have a look at me sniping around

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
camping is fine as long as your not spawn camping or glitching. personally i dont camp but i am good shot. this results in high kills and high deaths. the only time i camp is when i use sniper rifle and it usually to kill campers.

what i like to do is hold a spot until a teammate comes by. then i move with him. it is stupid to run around by yourself youll just get killed. you should quit that game and play battlefield 2. camping is part of the game as it is an attack/defend objectives. however camping on the offensive side pisses me off, but camping on defense is necessity. attacking on the defense also pisses me off because defensive players shouldnt be rambo.

remember its just a game and there are alot of a holes online especially in FPS games on xbox. if i happen to be in a crappy room i leave. if i happen to be with a player that pisses me off ill send him a bad rating to lower the chances of ever seeing him again.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
hey bro,you can do whatever you want ITS A GAME. and most of the players are 12 year olds who only know "gay" and "boobs".
so tell them "smooth move looser" or better yet "smooth move virgin!" and disable the chat.
its much more fun to play without hearing insults about your sexuality every 1 min.
and to top it off you PAYD for your game,if i ever BUY a game,im sure NO ONE will tell me what to do. and probably the pirate servers are not so rude,couse there people are smart enough to crack the game and connect to the private server,compared to the 12 year olds "DADDY I WANT MONEY SO I CAN PONW NOOBZ" bro ^&*( children!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Depends on the type of camper really. If someone is huddled in the corner with double 1887s or a heartbeat sensor than they deserve all the hateful messages that can be spammed to them, because they are ruining the game for everyone else. However if someone is sniping they have a reason to camp and there is nothing wrong with ambushing enemies that you know are on their way to your location or staying in one location to get the Killstreak you want (After I get my predator missile I like to find a place to camp until I can get my attack Heli or Pavelow and then after I get my highest Killstreak reward I go back to run and gun)

One single camper is little threat to anyone though, unless they are hardcore about it (using a Tactical Insertion to always spawn in their little corner), but when a whole team does it it becomes frustrating and absurd. Like when an entire team is using the grenade launcher, if one or two of them are "noobtubing" its no big deal, its to be expected, but if every single one of them starts doing it it kinda ruins the fun.

Camping is not so bad...

You know what really peeves me in MW2, SPAWN KILLING.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Tactically I completely understand it. I've done it a few times, so I certainly don't hate people for any kind of sniping.

However I will say, "Where's the fun in it?" It basically just turns into a point and click strategy game at that point. I honestly can't stand still at all when I play. I play hardcore more now, so it has stopped me from using Lightweight and just scrambling around the map.

I don't hate people at all for it, but I DEFINITELY target them relentlessly. When I see someone with 14 kills and no deaths halfway through a match, I'll comb the outsides of it til I get them.. Usually they have tactical insertion there too, so I can get 2 kills out of it.

Its annoying, but I'm sure its just as annoying when I use my raffica to kill someone the whole way across a map. I'm a damn surgeon with that thing.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
In MMORPG's, where the term was first coined..."camping" was actually a little different.

It often meant camping in one spot to fight the same AI controlled monster over and over again, until you get some kind of unique treasure item as a drop.

This is fine for getting one drop of it..., except that an entire group doing this, with each person trying to get their turn at the item, can really prevent others from having a shot at the same thing...for HOURS....

My solution was simple, I simply didn't care about such items. I formed a guild and had people GIVE me stuff, so I only "camped" for fun (and never for long) to help out others for a bit until I got bored and moved on to something more exciting... I was definitely more of the "explorer" type player...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'm more of a situational guy. I don't play online and the most I play against is 7 others on halo 3 with a system link. Camping has a much more credible use in those online 16+ player games. "Screen-watch" camping however is to be frowned upon. "Oh, they're on their way up here, I'll just stop so they don't see me on the radar."

I go around looking for action but usually through narrow hallways. Unnecessary exposure time in open terrain is asking to be killed. If I find a sniper rifle and the right spot is there, I'll work with that for alittle bit. Again, the biggest games I play are 8 players so I just want superior firepower for a head-on confrontation that I induce.

If I notice a blip on my radar (whether or not the accuracy of their location is aided by peeking around
) I'll sit there or find an angle for the ambush, thats the extent of it though. In bigger games though, camping certainly has its legitmate application.

"Quit camping!"
"Quit aimlessly barreling through boards without checking your surroundings"

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
lets see,let me remember some hurtfull memoryes from trying to play online illegaly XD
-dota....omg young kids yelling "omg noob leave""buy a ps3 never play again"
little tards
-jedi knight pretty cool,even though all people use red style and just like to jump and kill me,but atleast they bow and respect the duel XD
-race driver grid,with the exception that everyone wants to bann you if you cant click accept on the first 2 sec,its preeeety cool,and the game dosnt even ask for online cdkey,thats a game i would pay for! and no hacks
-carbon,ah the first days it was released,allready guys with hacks,but it was fun
-counter strike,ah yes everyone running with AWP/deagle. until i got a hack that made me PREDATOR,i was banned forever XD
or you can play a cs war3 server,where everyone were using hacks to kill you instantly on spawn point,again gain gain.
-left for dead 2,it was cool
-wow private servers,mostly cool people,with the exeption of some young children yelling "NOOOB"

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It depends on the game i'd say.
It doesn't make sense to camp around in Deathmatch games. Really, sitting around with the Sniper in Unreal Tournament is stupid.

But in more tactical oriented shooter it makes sense.
Counter-Strike is a good example: Why should the terrorists run around, trying to kill the enemy? It's just more intelligent to guard the bomb or the hostages. Just because the opposite is too stupid to find a good tactic, doesn't mean it's camping or takes the fun out of it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Anyone that tells you you're dirty and/or a cheater because you don't hold down the "W" key the whole time you're playing is a dipsh*t.

I've never understood why it's considered unscrupulous to stand still, not doing anything in a shooter. The online FPS community in general seems to look down on unfair, elitist abuses such as 'tactics' and 'strategy'.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/188432da0944.gif[/atsimg]

For me it all depends on the type of FPS.

I see nothing wrong holding a cap point. However some games you really need to run and gun scoot and shoot and stay on the move. For me I'd rather play with a clan. With teammates that you know what to expect. Ive been in a few and have been a clan leader, ran a server etc. It's a whole different ballgame than just logging on stag. I do better on newer map/boards where nobody knows where all the sweet spots are.

I wouldn't bother with whoever calls you a camper. The best revenge?
Kill em again!

PEACE

Slay

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I think camping in an FPS is rather boring, and not my style, but I don't have a problem with people doing it. The only time it gets annoying is if the game has very few players, and a couple of them decide to camp, and then nothing happens because everyone is camping waiting for the other guys to move.

I'd just tell those who whine to start being smarter :p If you are hiding behind the red pillar, and the last dozen times the n00b walked by the red pillar you sniped him because he still wasn't expecting you there, he deserves it. After a couple deaths, it should be obvious to them that you are camping, and if they have any brains at all, they'll change tactics accordingly.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Camping works fine on random teams, or in merc mode on modernwarfar.

I personaly hate campers on my team in any type of game, be it rts or fps. The reason is, it's a solo thing and I'm a fan of teamwork.

If I go on the offensive and my buddy is camping, we're split up.

You get a couple of campers on one side and now I consider us pretty F***ed.

In modernwarfare I like to stun campers, around a corner, turn the corner hit the dirt right infront of them with master cold blooded on, and what do you know the campers always hit the dirt too. So I just wait for them to stand up first or I find them before they're unstunned.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm an old school PC gamer, started out on Doom, loved Soldier of Fortune. It was manic gaming back then, spawn campers galore, but still a lot of fun.
A year or so ago I changed to Xbox 360 as my Bro' and most of my friends were using them. I remember the first time using the mike, what a shock, American teenage kids (who sounded like girls) screaming abuse at everyone, then french kids shouting crap about my English accent. What a complete waste of space the game chat is!! I thought people would be using it to communicate with each other on team matchs, boy was I wrong. All this while trying to learn how to use a damn controller for he first time!!
I like to play as a team, move with cover and if needed camp when say waiting for a team member, it makes it more real to me than just running round like a headless chicken being killed, re-spawning, being killed, re-spawning.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Kurokage]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join