It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sun, like you've never seen it before

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I agree, maybe we are not seeing the full capabilities yet.

The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) will provide
a new eye on the sun that will deliver solar images
with 10 times better resolution than high-definition
television.

SDO will send down about
1.5 terabytes of data per day, equivalent to
downloading half a million songs each day.

SDO’s spatial resolution gives it a
tremendous advantage over earlier
missions. All solar images will be 4096
pixels x 4096 pixels—almost IMAX
quality—providing details of the sun and
its features that have rarely been
seen before.

Source - PDF

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
anyone else think by the pictures posted in this thread that sun has like a triangle of 3 vortexes/ funnels?

That's pretty cool.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
OK it turns out we are just not looking hard enough, as they are only offering low res images on the First Light page, but the full res images ARE available, or some of them at least, on the SVS site

Check out...
Close up on filament launch - movies and images

Example of high res imagery - This is only 1280x720... you can imagine what the full 4000x4000 resolution will be like...

Cool low res movie

[edit on 21-4-2010 by samureyed]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'm sure the images will increase in resolution and awesomeness (great word) as they work out the bugs in this new camera system.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Seems quite impressive so far and thanks for the pics and links.

The information gleaned from this should prove valuable in trying to predict solar weather.

Bring on some nice big CME's and comet impacts!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
OK it turns out we are just not looking hard enough, as they are only offering low res images on the First Light page, but the full res images ARE available, or some of them at least, on the SVS site

Check out...

Example of high res imagery - This is only 1280x720... you can imagine what the full 4000x4000 resolution will be like...

Cool low res movie

Let's not fool ourselves, YES the photos are NICE... but are they as HIGH RES as what I posted? Is this the best NASA can do?? Forget it! It's time NASA shows us the real images. They have been caught out many times.... Time to come clean...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek

Check out...

Cool low res movie

Let's not fool ourselves, YES the photos are NICE... but are they as HIGH RES as what I posted? Is this the best NASA can do?? Forget it! It's time NASA shows us the real images. They have been caught out many times.... Time to come clean...

Why does every single NASA photo have to be faked suddenly?
I thought it was just pictures of planets that people think might have aliens and the moon.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

for some reason im thinking a johnny cash song ! ?

on your posted picture of the sun flair

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
HOLY ORGASM BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a direct link to the awesome solar flare video... Jesus H Christ

sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The quality is amazing. You can see a close up of a solar flare going off, it is insane. It looks like a bubble is formed on the surface of the sun and as the bubble starts to expand quickly into the air it starts to form a ring! I never thought it would look like that. Really insane. Then they start zooming out so you can see how big the flare is compared to the sun and it is Freaking HUGE!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Since the sun may be the most likely heavenly body to effect life on Earth, it is great to see this new technology being used to extend our knowledge base!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Exactly! Everyones so caught up on the images, first round of images at that, but no ones even mentioning the video capabilities or the fact that "SDO will send down about 1.5 terabytes of data per day, equivalent to downloading half a million songs each day." - pdf

Now lets get something just as powerful deep in our oceans

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

That is really awesome to see. And, in an oxymoronic joking way, I felt warmer. I think it looks quite a bit like the SOHO shots I view, but WOW none the less for SOHO anyway. I love this stuff. This whole study is inspiring for me to see we might have a true scientific study. My proffession was/is being damaged by likes of the Cyclical Climate Change Deniers (CCCD, one letter off from the old Soviet CCCP, hmmm).

This new solar data will be an order of magnitude up on the internal intensity meter as I do enjoy studying the SOHO data for personal interests. Particuarly my, perhaps unscientific, observation that the Science teachers of the 60-70's were right about the "weather on the Sun", as they put it then, being responsible for earthquake activity and intense weather here on earth. I already know that it can have adverse affects on the ability to connect to distant monitors and perform sophisticated electronic data retrieval. I have a dedicated polling computer that calls every hour to places hundreds of miles away. So, I would like to actually figure this thing out once and for all.

ATS and shows like Noory's Coast to Coast AM with his unusual guests are making me rethink just what the box is we're needing to think outside of to get some of those answers to the puzzling questions about the sun. And I quess everything else by now.
Thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Its going to be so sick. Its awesome to see the sun, stareing at it isnt fun, so better more hi def pics are good news.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Far out! Thanks, I'm following these with great interest. Make you wonder where we could be if we didn't have all our current problems.

jra

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I imagine it'll be like this

Many more of them here

[edit on 21-4-2010 by jra]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by samureyed

It says on the site where you can download the movies that they didn't put them up in full res because they would be a third of a GIG!!! I don't care how long that would take to download, I'd steal bandwidth!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Seeing all the action on the surface makes me think of all those little nutrinos inside our planet being "activated" by the gamma bursts. With all the predictions of the solar cycle peak coming up in the next couple years, it will be interesting to watch with this new technology! Maybe we will also discover some correlation between gamma bursts and seismic/climatic anomolies and activities.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Whatever happened to that huge ribbon that people were worried about collapsing back onto itself? Had some really nifty pictures, but hadn't heard anything about it in quite some time. Did it finally collapse and turn into nothing as expected?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
HOLY ORGASM BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a direct link to the awesome solar flare video... Jesus H Christ

sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The quality is amazing. You can see a close up of a solar flare going off, it is insane. It looks like a bubble is formed on the surface of the sun and as the bubble starts to expand quickly into the air it starts to form a ring! I never thought it would look like that. Really insane. Then they start zooming out so you can see how big the flare is compared to the sun and it is Freaking HUGE!

wow!!

that is freekin amazing!!
thanks man!!

great thread, great shots, great links!
thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, Chadwickus. Is this the new Soho...?

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
They have been caught out many times.... Time to come clean...

Sigh, here we go... Post your BEST proven example showing NASA being 'caught out' before, please.

WARNING - do your homework before you do this, or wear the consequences...

EDITED TO ADD: Do it on a new thread, please... as per Chadwickus' apt reminder of what this thread is about..

I apologise for adding to the 'derail'..

[edit on 22-4-2010 by CHRLZ]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join