It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to Hold War Games In Gulf, Hormuz Strait

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
The US may not even poke it nose in such a mess if its domestic oil production is high enough . Then country's like New Zealand decision to transform its military into an agent of peacekeeping will look really foolish .

Even it doesn't I highly suspect if Iran were to blockade the straits Australia would attack it. We weren't shy about admitting we went to Iraq for oil.

Australia 'has Iraq oil interest'

I can't see the government having no plan whatsoever even if we have no oil reserves or much capacity to refine our own oil.

I've heard rumours of Australian special forces training to take and hold Iranian oil fields several months ago but we simply don't have the gear or logistical ability to undertake an attack on Iran by ourselves with essentially peace time force structure. So you'd have to assume we were planning to do that in conjunction with a larger force.

If they clear the straits maybe the rest of the oil producing countries can pick up the slack.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by belial259]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retrovertigo
Iran is lacking in oil ? Iran has oil coming out of its arse...What it lacks is refining infrastructure...

That is true and that suits Iran's leaders because fuel shortages because it makes the masses easier to control.

Don't you mean Iran lacks the ability to make its own petrol/gasoline/benzina on a significant scale :puz

Unless Iran can increase its capacity to refine oil then its military will be short of the fuel it needs which pretty much brings it to the point where they my as well not have the reserves of oil in the country at all. Its nearly 1am you have to forgive me if I'm not being entirely clear .

[edit on 21-4-2010 by xpert11]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Well, I do hope so.. it would be nice if Aliens not only did exist, but where the kind type that wanted to help us on our way to stopping all these never ending wars for power and resources.. Sadly I think humans are destined to fall into the same power hungry trap each time..

The only plus side I can see is that at the end of each major conflict we start society anew with many advances (medical tech etc) but I have to ask myself is the cost really worth the gains we make each time..

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

An ANZAC task force could well be deployed in such a situation with New Zealand providing our SAS , a C-130 transport plane and maybe a frigate and a medical team . Such a task force would have to work along side other nations as it would be to small to operate interdependently . All the while the decommissioned will be in someone collection expect for the one in a museum here in Christchurch .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

What to blatantly attack another country half a world away to nick their oil field, I see our antipodean cousins learnt many lessons from the mother country in the Nineteenth Century, we could supply you with some red jackets and white pith helmets to help you go the whole hog in your imperial venture.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
An ANZAC task force could well be deployed in such a situation with New Zealand providing our SAS , a C-130 transport plane and maybe a frigate and a medical team

Well look at this way. If Australia actually had the stuff we'd ordered already, namely the f-35's and the two Canberra class ships and air warfare destroyers we'd certainly be able to make a dent in the Iranians, albeit a small one. Enough to clear the straits of their ships and get down to mine sweeping.

I just don't think we'd be able to sustain a beachhead for very long if at all without support from larger powers. And they'd probably sink our ships.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
....And they'd probably sink our ships.

I certainly hope they'd sink our ships, and kill all Australian military personnel involved in any attack on Iran, which would be just desserts IMO...

We do not need our armed forces involved in another immoral conflict like the ones in Iraq and Afghanistan...

This country used to have a proud tradition of not being involved in wars we didnt start...

Sadly, that has changed

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Ah yes the Maginot line, did'nt the Germans march around it through Belgium and flank them haha.
To be honest, I've been waiting for this war for a long time, a long time. And I too am reminded of the build up to WW2 when I look at the headlines coming out of the ME. Not to be pessimistic, it just does not look good right now. Like was mentioned before, no one I know here in the states seems to know/care what is going on over there. I'll be the first to admit though, my family and friends are bunch of ignorant clowns God bless em.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

....And they'd probably sink our ships.

I certainly hope they'd sink our ships, and kill all Australian military personnel involved in any attack on Iran, which would be just desserts IMO...

We do not need our armed forces involved in another immoral conflict like the ones in Iraq and Afghanistan...

This country used to have a proud tradition of not being involved in wars we didnt start...

Sadly, that has changed

I'm certainly not interested in attacking the Iranians or seeing the diggers deployed in foreign wars. This shouldn't be our fight at all but I think we both know it will be. Kevin Rudd is calling himself a nation builder and obviously has delusions of grandeur. He's got himself a seat at the big boys table.

But seriously what are we gonna do without petrol? Anna Bligh is already trying to flog off Queensland Rail and the rest of the states railways are only semiworkable now when we actually have power and fuel.

They'll need all the petrol to keep the ports and trains going. We'll probably have to start getting out steamtrains and I'm not joking

Check it out

What are they training those blokes up for?

This country and our current way of life simply cannot function without petrol and we have no "backup" plan. No reserves. No plans to increase our refining capacity. No moves to force conversion to LPG or electric motors.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I'm certainly not interested in attacking the Iranians or seeing the diggers deployed in foreign wars. This shouldn't be our fight at all but I think we both know it will be. Kevin Rudd is calling himself a nation builder and obviously has delusions of grandeur. He's got himself a seat at the big boys table.

But seriously what are we gonna do without petrol? Anna Bligh is already trying to flog off Queensland Rail and the rest of the states railways are only semiworkable now when we actually have power and fuel.

They'll need all the petrol to keep the ports and trains going. We'll probably have to start getting out steamtrains and I'm not joking

Check it out

What are they training those blokes up for?

This country and our current way of life simply cannot function without petrol and we have no "backup" plan. No reserves. No plans to increase our refining capacity. No moves to force conversion to LPG or electric motors.

Rudd is EXACTLY the same as Howard and EXACTLY the same as the Mad Monk when it comes to brown nosing the US, so yes, if there were conflict against Iran, I'm sure the US would ask, and of course we'd come running like the weak bastards we are...

What are we going to do without petrol ? The refining situation in Australia isnt quite as drastic as you make out, but it certainly isn't what it was up until the 70's...

We'd do just fine without importing petrol, because it would be rationed for essential non-personal uses...I don't see going without petrol for a few months a major hardship to be honest...

The steam train thing is odd....I doubt we'd have enough of them to make any dent on the lack of freight train traffic due to no diesel...

The reason we have a lot less refining infrastructure left is lack of government incentive provided to oil companies to upgrade existing refineries or build new ones...The oil companies can't be expected to increase refining in Australia without government help when its a lot easier and cheaper to import petrol and other products...

We should have started providing incentives to build or upgrade refining infrastructure in the 80's IMO...If we had done so, we wouldn't be worrying about what effect another conflict in the ME would have on our petroleum product imports...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Centurionx

There where 2 Defence lines, One to protect against Germany, and one against Italy (Alpine Line).. seen at the time (WW1 thinking) as the perfect defence.. but you are right, the flanking method worked and we moved into a new form a warfare...

Military thinking appears to me to be always one war amiss at the start of any major conflict.. and I would not expect the coming conflict to be any different.. The West might have battle trained soldiers, but would that make a lot of difference if a new style of warfare is used..

That is the reason why I would not under-estimate the Iranians (as some seem to) History has taught us that can be a costly mistake (to begin with)

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

UFOs REALLY MAKES YOU THINK...

Edit: deleted.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

We'd do just fine without importing petrol, because it would be rationed for essential non-personal uses...I don't see going without petrol for a few months a major hardship to be honest...

Well lets put it this way. We could ride out the collapse of the US and EU economies and probably a massive war in the Middle East and Europe provided there was no disruption in petrol. But that single issue, and probably only that issue could make this country come to a grinding halt. Nothing else they can do could touch us.

And like I said it's the only concern I have about Iran. They're no threat to us militarily and even if they were it's a long swim

The steam train thing is odd....I doubt we'd have enough of them to make any dent on the lack of freight train traffic due to no diesel...

Well we've got plenty of coal and steel I'm sure they could whack up a whole bunch of them between Sydney and Melbourne and then drive them to the other states.

The reason we have a lot less refining infrastructure left is lack of government incentive provided to oil companies to upgrade existing refineries or build new ones...The oil companies can't be expected to increase refining in Australia without government help when its a lot easier and cheaper to import petrol and other products...

Can't blame em either. Rudd wants to gouge the guys with an ETS who needs that on their operating costs?

Have you ever considered our relationship with China? I don't think we can afford to have that change. And they've got a solid relationship with Iran too.

Ideally the smartest thing to do would be remain neutral but that just isn't going to happen.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Have you ever considered our relationship with China? I don't think we can afford to have that change. And they've got a solid relationship with Iran too.

Ideally the smartest thing to do would be remain neutral but that just isn't going to happen.

VERY good point about the China/Iran relationship...

You're right...I wouldn't think it wise for us to "pull the tigers tail" by being part of an operation that might jeopardise some of China's economic interests in Iran...

The day China stops buying natural resources from Australia is the day we become a 3rd would nation...

Yep, neutrality a la Switzerland would be ideal, but like you said, that won't happen in either of our lifetimes...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

The day China stops buying natural resources from Australia is the day we become a 3rd would nation...

Well what if it stops buying and starts taking. We're a major US base and the Chinese need our resources. But how important are actual Australians in that consideration?

Rudd should really really be thinking about that. What if there is a world war and the Chinese do come this way? Will it be a repeat of WW2 where they basically said "sorry we're more important but we'll come back for you one day, and just fyi you can't have your troops back yet either"

How much can we rely on our allies? Or would we just instantly fall back to the "Brisbane Line" and let them have what they wanted?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Well what if it stops buying and starts taking. We're a major US base and the Chinese need our resources. But how important are actual Australians in that consideration?

Rudd should really really be thinking about that. What if there is a world war and the Chinese do come this way? Will it be a repeat of WW2 where they basically said "sorry we're more important but we'll come back for you one day, and just fyi you can't have your troops back yet either"

How much can we rely on our allies? Or would we just instantly fall back to the "Brisbane Line" and let them have what they wanted?

That situation of taking rather than buying could transpire if the cards fell the wrong way...

Australians are unimportant in the scheme of things, as are the people of most nations...

There's no way the US would do anything to save Australia's arse should it be threatened by anyone else...The US has never done anything for Australia...The relationship has been a one-way street of take, take, take by the US and no give since day one...

That's why ANZUS should be torn up (together with the sham that is the US/Australia "free" trade agreement) and an alliance formed with other Asian nations, China included if its interested...I'd much rather than be with a potential enemy, than agin em, if you know what I mean ?

We are after all an Asian nation, not a western or European nation...

I'm not sure falling back to the Brisbane Line would do a lot of good in this day and age...Any enemy with the manpower, will and equipment could do pretty much what it likes with Australia...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

That's why ANZUS should be torn up (together with the sham that is the US/Australia "free" trade agreement) and an alliance formed with other Asian nations, China included if its interested...I'd much rather than be with a potential enemy, than agin em, if you know what I mean ?

Honestly I'd rather be with the Chinese and Russians these days. I always get the feeling we're friends with the bad guys.

And our PM already speaks fluent Chinese so he should fit right in at a communist party meeting.

Infact his relationship with China being what it is he may be our only way out of this mess if things get bad. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Lu Kewen

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Tangsiri further announced that during the three-day exercises, the IRGC Navy will also use home-made speedboats equipped with different armaments.

Do you remember what almost happend last time with these boats?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Do you remember what almost happend last time with these boats?

I just don't know why they even use the speedboats there is no need for such macho behaviour.

They really need to make sure they keep these guys on a leash. I can't imagine someone that wants to take on a US carrier group in a speedboat having a firm grasp on reality or sanity.

I don't see the Americans letting them get away with playing chicken again.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by belial259]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

I think US Navy will monitor these guys very carefully this weekend. I hope they wont test their limits in coming days. Difficult to say effectiness to any of these Iranian systems, because human kind havent still seen any real missile fight in oceans.

David against Goljat those boats are, but if used simultaneously with surface to sea missiles, and other sea to sea missiles - they can pass outer defences and make some deadly shoots. Kamikaze missions, anyway.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join