It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dystopian & Utopian Films - General Discussion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

I know of plenty of films.. that start off utopian. The funny thing about utopian films is they typically end as real world historical systems do: as dystopias.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I love Starship Troopers...it was meant ironically, but I love it unironically (actually double-ironically, but I generally prefer to appear stupid rather than be referencing "quotation marks" around everything) as a pro-fascist hymn...I like how you don't get to vote unless you're a veteran ...and I like the "subliminal message" of the casting, (where everyone is young, goodlooking and a non-famous actor)= "you can be replaced" ...or to rephrase it with an Andy Warhol quote "There are always plenty of new girls in town...and that's the way it should be..."

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
nice thread my favs kind of movies

look at my signature ! link..

oh Repo MAN kinda BladeRunnerish

it reminds me of the Sci fi book called Neuromancer

Repo man movie !

Neuromancer Organ donation or Replacement ( got the C64 game ! )

Neuromancer Concept Design ( for A Movie )

en.wikipedia.org...

and a clash of a scene of Monty pythons Meaning Of Life!

Monty Python Meaning of Life !

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i have something you may be interested you might not realize or even seen a Dis Utopian Movie like this a sort of Police State Movie a George Orwell 1984 movie seen though the EYES of a Rabbit !

Even tho this movie doesn't have the Cyberpunk Futuristic Tech but i can bet the Creator has some incite of George Orwell ! in the Book like 1984 & Animal Farm and the Locations in the Book and Movie are Real Locations , with Rabbit Warrens

The Animation Movie is not for KIDS! its a Real to Life and very Bloody Brutal ! with Strong Adult situations !

My Favorite Animation ! of all time

Source's to look at
www.madhousebeyond.com...

the Movie Watership Down !

Some of the Brutal of Watership down ! WaRNING ! bRUTAL !

its a Must see ! to Any Dis utopian to Utopian Movie ! FAn

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

That movie looks good, thanks. I'm gonna look for a copy to watch online in a sec. I love Australian films, one of my favourites is Bad Boy Bubby. I suppose that's kind of Dystopia meets Utopia (at the end), for Bubby anyway.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Metropolis was a fantastic film. As for the anime: great homage. It was very, very different from the original silent film, but it was still a great movie as well. I put the anime alone somewhere in my top favorite films of all time.

Some things I like about the anime:

Use of classic anime (Astro-Boy style). The characters are very cute looking as opposed to the badassery of modern anime. However, this does not mean it is a children's movie. The film is quite mature and holds its own.

The environment is very believable. It's very bright and mentally stimulating, but also quite realistic.

The characters are real and I found myself hating certain ones and caring about others.

Overall, I highly recommend the anime, even if you haven't seen the original Metropolis. I'm sure you can get it on Amazon or something, but I watched it on Netflix Instant Play.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

This film was featured in Donnie Darko was it not? I will have to watch it...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Some cool dystopian films that may have been missed? One I enjoy is when humanity makes first contact with extraterrestrials and how they intend to live among humanity. It shows how that relationship is full of pitfalls and suspicions. The film is eerily familiar to our own problems at present with the immigration debate. The movie is Alien Nation.

Another is a b-movie with Rutger Hauer (who was the replicant in Blade Runner) called Split Second. It takes place in a dystopian future championed by the global warmers where sea levels have risen and many places are under water. The story takes place in London, England which is under water and Hauer plays a homicide investigator who has stumbled upon a bunch of grizzly murders as a result of some unknown force.

Here is another dystopian film about if Hitler had been victorious in WWII and is normalizing relations with the western powers in the 1960's. It is called Fatherland and takes place during an important diplomatic meeting between the President of the US and the Third Reich. There is a secret from the war years that has the potential of tainting the meeting if it is discovered and high level Nazi leaders will stop at nothing to keep it sequestered. Below is a clip chronicling the dystopian world. Cool movie!

Thank goodness the future from the above film never happened. Those are some I thought would be of great benefit to our discussion on dystopian films.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Daybreak, an HBO movie from1993 with Gooding Jr was a good one. Dystopian.

www.imdb.com...

Haven't seen it in years, but it still stands ou in m mind...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join