It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth provides for our every need for free.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex

All luxuries that we don't need. Do you advocate raping the planet for metal and petroleum so you can own an SUV that pollutes the air you breath, that your children breath? Everything I need I can walk to.

sounds like the talk that 'Uni-Bomber' dude talked & wrote about
while in his 8X10 shack in the deep woods.

note to you...do as you will, but hurt no one

~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT to add: Unity_99 heres a gypsy wagon;
www.expeditionrangecamps.com...

heres a boat;
www.leow.de...

heres a guide to living book;
www.grannysstore.com...

you've got the right ideas, but its prohibitively expensive to be removed from the social & infrastructure grids

[edit on 22-4-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Great videos, gave you a star for them!

The only thing's I would change about the Earthship design in the videos is to do away with the tires and use just dirt alone with very little timber if even needed. I would also do away with the septic system and opt for a biodigester to generate methane for heating and cooking and fertilizer. Other than that, it's one of the many idea's I've looked at before.

Isn't that funny though... The "alternatives" of today were the norms of yesterday. I love the backwards thinking of today's society. lol

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

sounds like the talk that 'Uni-Bomber' dude talked & wrote about
while in his 8X10 shack in the deep woods.

note to you...do as you will, but hurt no one

Wow... Compared to the uni-bomber. Why is the message of responsibility for our only home bringing up so many negative and violent oppositions? When I'm told I can't provide for my family, that I either have to participate in "modern" society or remain homeless.... Who's harming who? I don't like how your house looks, it's not up to my standards. Move out so I can tear it down or pay me for the rights to fix it. I don't think you know what 'harm' is my friend.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
The problem for the homeless, and those without land, is more than having to try and get past local building codes. So many would need to collect a small like minded group locally, into survival, and tools, blueprints and abilties to build AFTER a catastrophe.

Then I thought, well one way, to avoid paying rent, may show some solidarity and become adventurers themselves, would be to form gypsy/hippy caravans, create your own trailers, and homes on wheels, with groups and of people, and move around, ensure your have some portable shelters and a caravan for greenhousing too. Off the grid generators. Make sure your vehicles are modified to run on biofuels, peanut oil/deisel or alchohol and make it from debris, it burns clean. And solar wind.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Unity_99]

Rather than wait to rebuild after a future catastrophe, we should band together as a global species to fix our current catastrophe. I really liked the idea of the intentional communities mentioned earlier. We need something like on a global scale where people voluntarily drop governments like the dead weight they are and rebuild society for a more sustainable and cleaner future.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Tires work great as insulation, they are one of the main reasons other than the layout, directions of rooms, and where the windows are placed and the cement, which could be earthen, for the temperatures being roughly in the 70s year round without heat.

However, also doing this into the ground or hillside would keep temperatures moderate as well.

Its more about, using whats around you naturally, and if you can recylce into your design that which we need to, such as tires, or bottles, they use colored ones, almost like stained glass, and increase the natural heating, then its a good thing. I imagine the best building supplies would be related to the area, you are building in.

In fact, if you were wishing to spare the forrest, keeping heat costs down would be the best thing.

But I imagine people would be graduating up, 1) temporary shelters, tents, earth shelters, 2) making use of the natural earth/sod, 3) as forrest seeding and gardens increase (with heritage seeds) and hemp, on could then up the building.

I would be running with hemp/paper crepe, or mineral combination myself by choice, built into a hill, or 2/3rd underground at least, and Hemp, or linen, can be carded up with combs or carding drums, boards would also make insulation. I can't stand cold!

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

So we are all supposed to use sap powered wood computers like you and cell phones. But when we are not using our technology we are supposed to be hunting for worms and grasshoppers to eat?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by sirnex

So we are all supposed to use sap powered wood computers like you and cell phones. But when we are not using our technology we are supposed to be hunting for worms and grasshoppers to eat?

BINGO! Do you have any other wise words of wisdom to dispense out of ye ole' stink hole?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

yes i think a radioactive potato would probably work just as good as a sap powered wood computer. Do you have any good methods of grass hopper hunting? Worms are pretty easy you get them if you eat dirty food. I do notget why is it wrong to kill a buffalo but okay to eat a grass hopper? I think the opposite a buffalo could feed50 people and a buffalo soldier could feed 10, it would take a lot of grass hoppers and worms to fill you up. One life one meal should be a crime that is why i do not eat chicken or any bird that flys.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Tires work great as insulation, they are one of the main reasons other than the layout, directions of rooms, and where the windows are placed and the cement, which could be earthen, for the temperatures being roughly in the 70s year round without heat.

I prefer CEB and Cob myself.

In fact, if you were wishing to spare the forrest, keeping heat costs down would be the best thing.

It's great how the sun alone can keep a house warm in the winter and give us nice hot showers all for free.

I would be running with hemp/paper crepe, or mineral combination myself by choice, built into a hill, or 2/3rd underground at least, and Hemp, or linen, can be carded up with combs or carding drums, boards would also make insulation. I can't stand cold!

If you like recycling tire's for housing, then how about soda/beer cans for heating?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

www.manataka.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

danceswithanxiety.blogspot.com... html

it would take a lot of grass hoppers and worms to fill you up.

A pound weighs a pound, be it a pound of beef or a pound of grasshoppers. The best part, the insects take less resources and are more nutritious nor do they cause any inflammatory diseases like red meats do!

[EDIT TO ADD Comment and Link]

The RDA of dietary protein for the average male adult is only 56 grams a day. 100 grams of caterpillar contains 28 grams of protein.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by sirnex]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
[edit on 22-4-2010 by jymmyjaymes]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

A pound weighs a pound, be it a pound of beef or a pound of grasshoppers. The best part, the insects take less resources and are more nutritious nor do they cause any inflammatory diseases like red meats do!

Yeah but i can get a pound of beef without killing the cow. It would take forever to get a pound of grasshoppers and a pound of worms would not really be that good because they are filled with dirt. Not only thay but lots of bugs eat plants, eating wild bugs can poison you. You have no idea if that bug was eating herbicides or pesticides, and chances are if they are anywhere near my house that have used motor oil in them,raid and who knows what else. Other bugs eat poop and if you ate the bugs you could get tape worms or toxoplasma gondii, and if they ate my dogs crap they will probably have all of the above and used motor oil.

The RDA of dietary protein for the average male adult is only 56 grams a day. 100 grams of caterpillar contains 28 grams of protein.

what kind of caterpillar?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Yeah but i can get a pound of beef without killing the cow. It would take forever to get a pound of grasshoppers and a pound of worms would not really be that good because they are filled with dirt. Not only thay but lots of bugs eat plants, eating wild bugs can poison you. You have no idea if that bug was eating herbicides or pesticides, and chances are if they are anywhere near my house that have used motor oil in them,raid and who knows what else. Other bugs eat poop and if you ate the bugs you could get tape worms or toxoplasma gondii, and if they ate my dogs crap they will probably have all of the above and used motor oil.

Animal husbandry is still a wast of resources whether you kill the animal yourself or buy it from your local McDonald's. We farm the insects instead of catching them from your polluted backyard. So all your concerns over the safety of consuming insects are now solved! Less resources and a controlled nutritious diet and your all set!

what kind of caterpillar?

I'm not sure as the species was not mentioned, so I'm assuming caterpillars in general, but silkworms are 54% protein and Macrotermes bellicosus, a termite species is also 20% protein.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

. We farm the insects instead of catching them from your polluted backyard.

my backyard is not polluted i recycle motor oil and return it to mother earth. Farming insects would just be the same issue, a bunch of locust can consume entire crops. So to farm bugs you woud need to produce enough food to feed them all. I do not think it would work out they way you think it would. I see it as consuming just as much resources as extracting meat from cows.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Read the links and research beyond that. I takes much less feed, water and land to raise the same proportion of protein from insects compare to beef. Beef has an ECI of 54:1 whereas grasshoppers are 4:1. Please don't argue out of ignorance when I've provided informative links to start from.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

But a cow can live for years where a grasshopper only lives at most 5 months. They also get hairworms which is dusgusting, i know cows get parasites to but people clean and gut the cow.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by sirnex

But a cow can live for years where a grasshopper only lives at most 5 months. They also get hairworms which is dusgusting, i know cows get parasites to but people clean and gut the cow.

Insects breed faster and can be kept under clean conditions when your farming them to minimize disease and parasitic infections and cooking just as easily kills the nasties just as well as it works for beef. Any other concerns?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

a grasshopper weighs 300mgs there are 453592.37mg in a pound that is about 1151 grasshoppers they only lay 20-150 eggs. You would have to build a big wherehouse type enclosure to keep them in an area free of parasites. I just do not see this working as a good alternative to my take what you need as you need it from the cow method.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

You wouldn't sustain yourself on just one type of insect.

[EDIT TO ADD]

When are you going to raise some real rebuttals instead of all this smart assed ignorance, just being curious my friend.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by zaiger

You wouldn't sustain yourself on just one type of insect.

[EDIT TO ADD]

When are you going to raise some real rebuttals instead of all this smart assed ignorance, just being curious my friend.

Right back at you! Your topic is " Earth provides for our every need for free"
You are the one that said for FREE.

But when someone tries to make a case about anything you just shoot it down and say whatever. Make your case on how earth provides it for free. Ok you are going to farm bugs....so let us know how you are going to raise all those bugs for free! Cages, food for them and what ever else they need. If you can do this with all your rebuttals you will not look like the smart assed ignorance person we are seeing!

cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join