It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Praise of Johnny Anonymous, the Man, the Myth, the Legend!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Blessed be the Trend Setters

Hearken back with me my fellow ATS Members to one of the darkest chapters in American History.

No not the Great Depression, no not the Civil War, no not the Attack on Pearl Harbor or the infamy of 9-11, not even Water Gate but, the Disco Era that soon fell on it’s heels.

Hippies, shorn of their hair, and finally forced to get jobs after their parents had finally cut their allowances, in part because people in their 30’s should have their first job, and in part because Jimmy Carter’s economic policies gave their parent’s little choice.

Depressed from that daily 9-5 grind, desperate to relive their wild and foot loose and fancy free youths, they flocked into the discothèques after the work day, often still wearing their work clothes, to mill around and dance the night away to the mindless and repetitious rhythms of the Village People, Donna Summer, K.C. and the Sunshine Band, a Taste of Honey, the Pointer Sisters and many others, that still haunt people to this day during '___' flashbacks!

Numbed and soul dead from the drudgeries of corporate work, they would look to further numb the mind, heart and soul with arguably the worst music in the history of humankind.

People were afraid, and not just the rapidly aging Rock Stars of the 60’s and 70’s as they stubbornly clung to power chords and their bellbottom tie-dyed jeans, and velour shirts, wondering if they would ever strike Billboard Gold again.

Some were ready to proclaim all was lost, Eric Clapton had retreated to the Bahamas’ ready to personally devour Carlos Ledher’s Island of Cocaine, Deep Purple, and Aero Smith broke up citing, the likelihood they would never sell another record. Peter Townsend of the Who became lost in a depressive alcoholic daze until one night in a London Club, appearing out of nowhere, came salvation in the form of a rambunctious, obnoxious, and energetic young man, who wasn’t just a punk but proud of it, one Mr. Johnny Rotten.

Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols would take the UK and then New York City by storm, with harsh, raw edged chords, driving bass lines, and relentless drums, and vocals screamed at a decibel so loud at the recreant former hippies, trapped in a disco morass they would snap out of their disco daze and hear!

Rock and Roll was saved, thanks to Johnny Rotten, soon the legendary bands and artists of the 60’s and early 70’s would be on the rise once more, back on the Billboard Charts, back on the Grammies, and like New Coke would fall to the old and Classic Coke, they became known as Classic Rock!

Why it this important you ask? Because much like music had in the Disco Era, broadcast and televised news has followed that insane commercialization, into mindless, meaningless, substance-less repetitiveness. CNN, FOX, and MSNBC, had become the Studio 54, and Red Parrot of News…

Until a revolutionary showed up, until a trail blazer showed up, until someone’s who raw talent and tenaciousness, and endless drive showed up…just like Johnny Rotten came to save Rock and Roll…

Johnny Anonymous came to save video broadcast news.

Daring, and risk taking, cut from the same cloth as such legends as Cronkite and Rather, Johnny Anonymous’s no nonsense, just the facts, plain spoken style would serve to restore credibility to the craft and trade, and open the way for others.

No matter how grave the news, Johnny’s steady, trustworthy demeanor, command of the vernacular, and the ability to share with us the average person on the streets view, gave an entire generation hope, where none had existed before.

Certainly he had his detractors, those who screamed where is Anna Nicole, what about Scott Peterson, how come he has no sequin tie, but Johnny paid them no heed, Johnny was all about the news, all about the people, all about us.

There were those desperate to silence him, in an age where information is power, and secrets guarded carefully, Johnny stuck to his guns, and told it like it was, and let the chips fall where they may.

Oozing with integrity, and a humble yet unmistakable panache and style, Johnny taught us it was safe once more to watch video news, Johnny taught us that it was safe once more, to trust in that person reporting it, Johnny changed everything.

Johnny forged ahead into territory other anchors and journalists were afraid to follow. As his legend and popularity grew, so too, did that rekindled thirst on the part of the masses for more, more straight laced news, more anchors and journalists not afraid to speak to the naked and unbridled truth, an awakening was occurring not seen since Led Zeppelin put out In through the Out Door!

Johnny Anonymous had snuck in through the out door, and made the world safe again!

So while we all get caught up in the heady moment, of a movement, that is beginning to take off with a thunderous roll, as the buzz of the highly anticipated and intensely awaited, critically acclaimed Conspiracy Chicks let us not forget the man, the myth, the broadcast and news legend, Johnny Anonymous, who made it all possible.

Like Johnny Appleseed saved the Apple Trees, and Johnny Rotten saved Rock and Roll, Johnny Anonymous, should be and shall be, forevermore and always fondly and reverently remembered as the man who saved the News!

Three cheers for Johnny!

Hip hip hooray, Hip hip hooray, Hip hip hooray.

We shall forever be in your debt Mr. Anonymous!

[edit on 20/4/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsyOpCyclops
Johnny [was] ... Straight to the point.

Oh how I wish the same could be said of PT ...

It's taken me a week just to read one tenth of one of his sources.

And yes, Johnny is awesome!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
[quote of mannered content removed]

I do not know if the rumor is true but I hear Johnny will be retiring down to the Ocean Reef Club in North Key Largo just like Cronkite did.

I know that community will be every bit as proud of him as ATS is!

[edit on 20-4-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Oh how I wish the same could be said of PT ...

It's taken me a week just to read one tenth of one of his sources.

To give you an idea how important those sources are, it was revealed yesterday on both CNN and the BBC, George Washington still has two books out on loan from the oldest library in New York City. One on International Relations between Nations, and the other a book of debates of the English Parliament on International Relations!

To give you an idea how terrible network news is, the BBC claims George’s fine on the books is 200,000.00 and CNN says it’s 4,000.00

Sometimes if you want a straight answer, you really do have to go to the source.

Speaking of sources, you were the one who asked for them!

Careful what you wish for in life!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Careful what you wish for in life!

Ain't that the truth.

Btw, did I miss an announcement or something?
Because my impression was that JA was simply busy with RL considerations and will be back soon. In fact I'm pretty sure he said so himself in chat just the other day.

Times change, that's what they do ... JA is a legend around these here parts and rightfully so, I am sure his presence will be felt once more in the not so distant future.

I raise my glass to that effect.

[edit on 20 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I liked Johnny
his raw humor and story telling was suitable
for my tastes for these topics.

And yes he will be missed

Best wishes Johnny
and thank you

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Btw, did I miss an announcement or something?
Because my impression was that JA was simply busy with RL considerations and will be back soon. In fact I'm pretty sure he said so himself in chat just the other day.

As you know SD, I am pretty occupied with news from yester year, yester century, yester millenia...

Not really up on the latest scuttle butt, but as much as I loved Asala and Ashley D's great promo clip, I thought it would just be nice, to pay homage to Johnny for paving the way for all this great new ATS programming.

Johnny stepped up to the plate big here on ATS, just like Asala and Ashley D are going to now, and I thought the least someone could do, is let Johnny know how appreciated that was/is.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

As you know SD, I am pretty occupied with news from yester year, yester century, yester millenia...

I read the thread, I don't know why, maybe I secretly find drama entertaining, but I remembered this post...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by cupocoffee
I do feel badly for Johnny Anonymous though.

He's been tending to some important items in real-life that have ended up being very time consuming. But never fear, the Anonymous-one is relentless and he will return.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Johnny like most legends is an enigma, who’s to say where he really is, or what he is doing, with his penchant for journalism and the truth. He might even be off planet.

Thankfully we haven’t been abandoned by ATS we have Ashley D and Asala’s news reports to look forward to soon.

Sometimes though the nicest thing you can do for someone who is gone, is to let them know, that they are not and will never be forgotten!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I liked Johnny
his raw humor and story telling was suitable
for my tastes for these topics.

And yes he will be missed

Best wishes Johnny
and thank you

Most eloquent.
I couldn't agree with you more.
hip hip hooray X 3

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
I read the thread, I don't know why, maybe I secretly find drama entertaining, but I remembered this post...

*snip*

What's so dramatic about that?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
heh... PT - you're the best. Already missing Johnny - Be kind to the sea shells johnny, they'll give you treasures you can report on!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Umm did I miss something...did Something happend to Johnny Anonymous...??? Omgies NO NO .... is he ok..

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Umm did I miss something...did Something happend to Johnny Anonymous...??? Omgies NO NO .... is he ok..

I think the answer is in your signature.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Same could be said
with Dave

star and flag this motha

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

ProtoplasmicTraveler.....

Thanks for such a nicely written post about Johnny.

I've spent many long plane trips listening to Johnny on my iPod....always thoroughly enjoyable & informative

I hope he comes back one day.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Thanks my friend, glad you enjoyed it. If only words alone could pay full tribute to the essence of Johnny's greatness, and the service he has performaned for all of humanity!

Thanks for posting my friend, and sharing your appreciation for Johnny!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Is this satire?

Is it sarcasm....?

I don't get it.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Great post.

All hail JA, and salute to the man of mystery himself!

S&F for the good man (and for the well written tribute).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join