It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google reveals government data requests and censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
[Link to Source]
news.bbc.co.uk...

[Story Snippet]
"For the first time Google has released details about how often countries around the world ask it to hand over user data or to censor information.

Brazil tops the list with 3,663 data requests while the US made 3,580 and the UK came a distant third with 1,166.

Just last month the internet giant pulled its search engine out of China over online censorship issues.

Google said it cannot provide statistics on requests from China which are regarded as state secrets.

Brazil was also..."

[Please see linked article for full story.]

Explanation: It speaks for itself and loudly at that!

Personal Disclosure: I use google alot... a real lot! This disclosure by Google and its results have me puzzled as to whether it is disinfo ment to distract us or whether it is genuine and needs to be carefully considered?

P.S. I am still having trouble posting things in the Breaking News Forum and so I posted this here!

[Additional News Links]

www.google.com...

www.informationweek.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The real question isn't how many times they request information. Instead, what we would like to know, but won't/can't, is how many times national intelligence services simply "hack" the information without bothering to ask.

The times they ask are probably just to try to deflect attention from the other times they don't.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Explanation: I agree, but the figure [if Google decided to release that info] would probably be meaningless as its not just the alphabet soup agencies that are hacking Google ect! Aside from showing how big a target Google is, I'm not sure what other valuable information that it would convey?

Personal Disclosure: Since the released figures by Google don't disclose how many requests were made by China, I was wondering if my fellow members think that they would have topped the list if those figures were available?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I am somewhat surprised that they are disclosing this information at all.

I remember the "Don't be evil" line from their old marketing campaign....

makes you wonder....

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Explanation: I agree, that since it is not full disclosure and is therefor more of a tease and a song and dance show ment to distract rather than enlighten, that yes they're doing evil!

What are they hiding? Oh thats right... the figures for China! Go Figure?!

Why is Brazil topping the list? Does its placement have any basis in reality?
If not, then is Google involved in some Conspiracy to undermine the powerhouse of South America?

Personal Disclosure: Yep! It certainly made me wonder!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I use www.scroogle.org... as it is supposed to get rid of searchs but still use Google.I admit I don't know how true it is.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Doesn't really surprise me. Although I am rather curious if the real reason they won't release the China figures is because it's less than the US, mayhaps?

new topics

top topics

join